2" vs 3" barrels, practical differences?

The most accurate handgun I ever shot was my old Dan Wesson 357. It had interchangeable barrels. I had an 8" barrel and a 2" barrel. The 2" was just as accurate as the 8" if I did my part. My 8" barrel went in the box and stayed there. It is not that shorter barrels are less accurate, it is that most people just can't handle the shorter, less forgiving sight radius and the shooters are less accurate. My opinion is simple: Learn to shoot. :eek: Sorry, but that's the bottom line.

Last edited:
My opinion is simple: Learn to shoot
That's like saying learn to cook. Some people may spend a lot of time learning different cooking methods and take a long time in preparing meals. Others may be happy by simply grilling a piece of meat and microwaving a potato. But at the end of the day, we all want to eat.

Some shooters, like myself, have no burning desire to spend the time and money to be able to shoot soda cans with a snub-nosed revolver at a hundred yards. But I still enjoy shooting and, on most days, simply strive for some level of competence.

For me, I don't see the difference in sight radius between 2" (1.87", etc), 2.5" and 3" snub barrels offering me any noticeable advantage.

I do, however, consider the longer ejector rods you can get in 3" guns to offer an advantage in more quickly and surely extracting empty cases.

This doesn't come without a potential downside, though, because it may also create the opportunity for a displaced empty case to get bumped/dumped under the extractor, which can be a time-consuming stoppage to resolve. Fortunately, this is something that training to dump empty cases with the cylinder/barrel being held completely vertical can help mitigate (instead of just tipping the gun at an angle to push out empty cases).

I've also occasionally found that extra inch of barrel length in J-frames offered just enough better "balance" that it helped in both front sight acquisition upon extension and steadiness, and getting back onto the sight after muzzle rise. I remember my first M36, a 3" nickeled RB, was close to being as easy to shoot on our qual courses using 158gr LSWCHP +P loads as my M66 and subsequent M686 (both 4"), but then the shorter grip frames didn't bother me. I think the shorter trigger reach and stroke helped the comparison, too. ;)

Anyway, for belt carry I don't mind the 2.5" and 3" guns, and my favorite K-frame is a M65/3", which I inherited with the passing of a longtime friend and mentor. I wanted it because he built it at an older factory revolver class, back in the days when they gave students a frame and matched yoke, and they had to choose all the other parts to assemble and fit into a properly working revolver to pass the course (and they could buy the gun at the end of the class). My friend was a former PPC shooter, and while he also used a Python in those days, he'd built some outstanding PPC wheelguns on K-frames as a hobby. I miss him, and getting that M65/3" makes me think of him every time see it (and the original box, which I have stored in one of my cabinets).

For my normal pocket-holster carry I prefer one of my many "2-inch" J's.

For the many years I carried an early Ruger SP101DAO 2.25", it was primarily relegated to a belt carry gun, as it was just too thick and heavy for most pockets. It even caused a favored and well-used stout insulated vest to droop on one side when carried in the outside cargo pocket. If i were going to get another SP101, I'd opt for the 3" model with a hammer, and use it as a belt gun. A bit handier than the 2.5" & 3" K's, riding around in a belt scabbard. For me, anyway.

Great to have so many choices nowadays. In older days we took whatever was on display in the gun store case, and were happy to have it. :) A little later, when I knew a handful of cops who had FFL's, I was spoiled by being able to have them call their distributors and find guns for me, which many gun shops didn't care to bother doing, even at the retial prices they charged, They just wanted to move stock. (And the discount pricing from my FFL friends wasn't a bad deal, either ;) )

Suit yourselves folks. You're the one who has to own it. ;)

Taurus just came out with the Model 942 in 2" and 3" versions,,,
If I can find one by Christmas I'm buying a 3-incher for my sister to carry.
Aarond
Taurus will be offering the 942 in 22LR and 22WMR. I strongly suggest getting her the 22WMR version. Hardly any more recoil but MUCH more effective, and not really that expensive to shoot ... $60.00 will get you 250 rounds shipped.

That's like saying learn to cook. Some people may spend a lot of time learning different cooking methods and take a long time in preparing meals. Others may be happy by simply grilling a piece of meat and microwaving a potato. But at the end of the day, we all want to eat.

Some shooters, like myself, have no burning desire to spend the time and money to be able to shoot soda cans with a snub-nosed revolver at a hundred yards. But I still enjoy shooting and, on most days, simply strive for some level of competence.
Yep, it's a lot like learning to cook. Agreed. But my point is to not blame the short barrel for lack of accuracy, put the blame where it belongs ... on the shooter. I have no problem whatsoever with someone saying "I can't shoot a snubby well" but I do get a little cross-eyed when someone says "Snubbies are not accurate". And I love steak and taters. :) Hey, I've never tried shooting a tater at 20 yards ... might be lots of fun. ;)

Last edited:
That's not bad advice at all jimku

"I strongly suggest getting her the 22WMR version."

That's not bad advice at all jimku,,,
I will certainly advise her to think about it.

I doubt she will go for the Magnum though,,,
She's fired my Model 34 snubbie a lot,,,
It's the one gun she can tolerate.

But like all older sisters,,,
She's very stubborn . :rolleyes:

Another advantage of that is the longer barrel,,,
Will theoretically let the round develop a bit more velocity.

That holds true with either cartridge.

Aarond

"I strongly suggest getting her the 22WMR version."
That's not bad advice at all jimku,,,
I will certainly advise her to think about it.
I doubt she will go for the Magnum though,,,
She's fired my Model 34 snubbie a lot,,,
It's the one gun she can tolerate.
But like all older sisters,,,
She's very stubborn . :rolleyes:
Another advantage of that is the longer barrel,,,
Will theoretically let the round develop a bit more velocity.
That holds true with either cartridge.
Aarond

Just tell her it's a 22 Longer Rifle. :):):D

3 inch 66

This model 66-5 3 inch model fits me like a glove. I dont find it handles any better than my 4 inch guns but for concealed carry i do feel a difference in mobility. For some reason however i just love this thing. I dont shoot it much due to its rarity but it gets a lot fondling! :)

Attachments

• 7C2539F3-D3F3-4BE3-A16A-9A990FEE4C3C.jpeg
    7C2539F3-D3F3-4BE3-A16A-9A990FEE4C3C.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
and not really that expensive to shoot ... $60.00 will get you 250 rounds shipped.

Different points of view, from different eras, I think. For me, the.22WMR was too expensive to shoot then $60 got you 500rnds. It just cost too much for what I got out of it, and this was from a 6" Ruger Single Six convertible.

I won't dispute the fact that the .22WMR is quite a bit more than the .22LR (even when "neutered" in a short barrel) but it simply wasn't enough more to justify the cost, to me.

I stopped buying .22WMR when it was $6 a box (50) at the same time, quality (not bulk) .22LR was still less than $1 a box (50). Costing 6x as much and nowhere near 6x as effective, I left the .22WMR cylinder in the box, I think its still there, 35+ years later. :D

the other big factor, for me was that I reload. At the time, I could make .38 Special, and even full power .357 handloads cheaper than I could buy the non-reloadable .22WMR and they were MUCH more effective.

SO, i would advise a light loaded .38 over a .22WMR Its cheaper, its more effective down range, its actually quieter, its reloadable, and the difference in recoil is small.

That being said, if the lady shoots .22LR well, and doesn't WANT to shoot anything bigger, DON'T PUSH it!!!

A person with a .22LR that they are comfortable and confident with (and not afraid of) will do better than they will with a bigger gun they aren't as skilled shooting.

Different points of view, from different eras, I think. For me, the.22WMR was too expensive to shoot then $60 got you 500rnds. It just cost too much for what I got out of it, and this was from a 6" Ruger Single Six convertible.

I won't dispute the fact that the .22WMR is quite a bit more than the .22LR (even when "neutered" in a short barrel) but it simply wasn't enough more to justify the cost, to me.

I stopped buying .22WMR when it was $6 a box (50) at the same time, quality (not bulk) .22LR was still less than $1 a box (50). Costing 6x as much and nowhere near 6x as effective, I left the .22WMR cylinder in the box, I think its still there, 35+ years later. :D

the other big factor, for me was that I reload. At the time, I could make .38 Special, and even full power .357 handloads cheaper than I could buy the non-reloadable .22WMR and they were MUCH more effective.

SO, i would advise a light loaded .38 over a .22WMR Its cheaper, its more effective down range, its actually quieter, its reloadable, and the difference in recoil is small.

That being said, if the lady shoots .22LR well, and doesn't WANT to shoot anything bigger, DON'T PUSH it!!!

A person with a .22LR that they are comfortable and confident with (and not afraid of) will do better than they will with a bigger gun they aren't as skilled shooting.
But you can reload rimfire ammo these days there 44AMP. :)

But you can reload rimfire ammo these days there 44AMP.

No, I can't. :)

And, I'm not going to try. First, I'm not going to make any investment in what ever tools and components are needed (even if they are cheap, which I suspect isn't the case), and second, if I ever have a use or need for a reloadable .22 at the WMR (or even the LR) power levels I already have it covered with downloading my .22 Hornet.:D

I suppose all things are relative. I have 3 other 22LR handguns and a couple bins with 5,000 rounds of CCI mini mag if I want to shoot 22LR. My little snubby 22WMR revolver is the same size, frame, grip, make and weight as my 357 snubby that I often carry. The 22WMR snubby is a HECK of a lot cheaper to shoot than my 357 even with 38 Special ammo. I don't reload and have no inclination to get into that again. My 22WMR snubby serves for a great relatively inexpensive training / practice tool for my 357 and is a heck of a lot better general (non-bear country) woods gun than my 22LRs. For the lady in question, and the gun being considered which has nice heft, she probably wouldn't even notice the slightly increased recoil ... but for self-defense it would be somewhere around twice as effective as a 22LR. I guess how much you should "push' her depends on how much you value her life.

Last edited:
I guess how much you should "push' her depends on how much you value her life.

wow...

The easiest way to destroy someone's interest in shooting is to have them shoot too much gun.

I'll leave the rest up to you.

Good Luck.

wow...
The easiest way to destroy someone's interest in shooting is to have them shoot too much gun.
I'll leave the rest up to you.
Good Luck.[
/QUOTE]
How would it be too much gun if the difference in recoil is barely even perceptible?
In this case, regarding the lady in question, it isn't really about her interest in shooting tin cans and targets, it's about her interest in a carry gun and protecting her life.
Just educate her on the terminal differences between 22LR and 22WMR, find a 22WMR for her to try, let her do some serious pondering and make up her own mind. I wouldn't call that "pushing".

Last edited:
I wouldn't call that "pushing".

Doesn't matter what you call it, what matters is what she calls it, and how she feels about it.

And how she feels and what calibers she will or won't shoot is drifting off topic.

Doesn't matter what you call it, what matters is what she calls it, and how she feels about it.
And how she feels and what calibers she will or won't shoot is drifting off topic.
OK, back on topic.
Since she thinks she wants a 22LR and her brother thinks it would be a good idea to suggest a 22WMR, which 22WMR barrel length should her brother suggest that she get? :) 2" OR 3"? :)

Last edited:
No, I can't. :)

And, I'm not going to try. First, I'm not going to make any investment in what ever tools and components are needed (even if they are cheap, which I suspect isn't the case), and second, if I ever have a use or need for a reloadable .22 at the WMR (or even the LR) power levels I already have it covered with downloading my .22 Hornet.:D
Less than $75(not including taxes and S&H) for everything to reload 22LR(tools wise):
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/22-reloader-kit
and 22 WMR too:
https://www.brassworldeshop.com/sharpshooter22rimfirereloadingkits22lr22magreloader.aspx
:)

Last edited:
, which 22WMR barrel length should her brother suggest that she get? 2" OR 3"?

Brother should suggest she handle BOTH if at all possible, shoot examples of both and see which one she thinks feels best.

In some ways, its like trying on clothes, you may want a certain style or size, but if it doesn't FIT, you shouldn't buy it.

What you or I think will fit her, MIGHT fit her. What she thinks fits her, WILL fit her.

Each one of us has a different set of wants, desires and practical needs. I've got no use for a short barrel .22LR or .22WMR. I do have a use for a 2" .38 SPL though I never thought I would, until I got one. I don't see the point in a 3" might as well go to 4", BUT, its possible someday I might change my mind.

Well, geez, I think the Taurus 942 her brother is looking at is only made in 2" and 4", and since the topic of this thread is only 2" or 3" I guess it's gonna be a 2" because 4" would be off-topic.:eek: Right? Right.

Last edited:
Back