2" vs 3" barrels, practical differences?

OhioGuy

I would really like to get a Kimber K6s, mainly because they're gorgeous and I love the triggers and design of them. I would likely carry it often. All things equal, I'd like to get the 3" double action model with the nice walnut grips.

For carry, I usually carry AIWB. I sometimes carry 4:00 or so when I know I have to do a lot of climbing or bending. I don't see the extra inch of barrel making a difference at 4:00 but I could see it protruding too far for AIWB depending on holster.

From looking at ballistics tests, the practical difference in muzzle velocity between those two lengths doesn't appear to be tremendous, even in .357 although 3" seems to get you better velocity and less of a fireball.

The longer sight radius is a plus but not a major one.

Anyways, are there major practical advantages to a longer barrel? I want something I can enjoy shooting at the range but also carry concealed easily.

I have the Kimber K6 and various length LCR and LCRX's. The main difference is that a 3" barrel is just about impossible for pocket carry, whereas the 2" can be done.
I got a difference of only 50 fps between my 3" LCRX and my 1 7/8 LCR in velocity so not that huge a deal.
At SD distances, the longer sight radius is not going to matter, but it might for range work.

I can AIWB the 3" LCRX and like it for everyday carry around the ranch because it's lighter, but find a 4 o'clock or ASOB position much more everyday comfortable if concealment is not as important (i.e around the property). AIWB is more uncomfortable with the 3" barrel and has to be more closer to 12 o:clock position for comfort.

The advantage of the 3" LCRX was the adjustable sight has a better sight picture, not that I have needed to ADJUST it much. I don't think the 3" kimber has a different sight. So the 2" Kimber K6 seems to be able to do everything the 3" can, but not vice versa. I had a chance to get either, and I chose the 2".

Note: NO fireball when shooting the hottest Buffalobore .357 out of the Kimber K6, at least in the day time.

I have the Kimber K6 and various length LCR and LCRX's. The main difference is that a 3" barrel is just about impossible for pocket carry, whereas the 2" can be done.
I got a difference of only 50 fps between my 3" LCRX and my 1 7/8 LCR in velocity so not that huge a deal.
At SD distances, the longer sight radius is not going to matter, but it might for range work.

I can AIWB the 3" LCRX and like it for everyday carry around the ranch because it's lighter, but find a 4 o'clock or ASOB position much more everyday comfortable if concealment is not as important (i.e around the property). AIWB is more uncomfortable with the 3" barrel and has to be more closer to 12 o:clock position for comfort.

The advantage of the 3" LCRX was the adjustable sight has a better sight picture, not that I have needed to ADJUST it much. I don't think the 3" kimber has a different sight. So the 2" Kimber K6 seems to be able to do everything the 3" can, but not vice versa. I had a chance to get either, and I chose the 2".

Note: NO fireball when shooting the hottest Buffalobore .357 out of the Kimber K6, at least in the day time.
I find with semi-autos, I can carry AIWB when the holster is long enough to ride in the area between the thigh and the groin. The holster has to be narrow enough to fit there which I'm sure will vary by person. Wide holsters (such as for guns with lights or lasers) dig into the thigh and are miserable. I suppose if a holster is tapered and fitted to the longer revolver it would carry similarly.

My 2" J-frame is short enough that it doesn't dig into anything at all and I really like it. Also helps that the grip on the revolver is light weight, where for a semi-auto all the weight is in the magazine and it tends to flop out over the belt. I had a harder time concealing a Sig p365 than a Glock 19 for that reason!

I carry the 686+ with 3" barrel. I chose 3" over the 4" because aesthetically it is appealing to me that is all. I do have a 686 no dash with a 6" barrel which is also aesthetically pleasing to me. The 2" OR 2.5 are not pleasing to me.

No doubt that a 2 inch will carry easier
But the holster can make or break that advantage

The biggest “pro” of the 3 inch is sight radius
And depending on type of cartridge the extra inch can really dampen blast and flash

I prefer 3 inch over all other lengths
But if I really want the gun to disappear I’ll opt for a snub
My always on me is the <2” LCR 38 as it just vanishes
So much so that when I “suit up” I’ll keep and just add whatever I’m going to carry that day

In your case I would opt for the 3 inch

No doubt that a 2 inch will carry easier
But the holster can make or break that advantage

The biggest “pro” of the 3 inch is sight radius
And depending on type of cartridge the extra inch can really dampen blast and flash

I prefer 3 inch over all other lengths
But if I really want the gun to disappear I’ll opt for a snub
My always on me is the <2” LCR 38 as it just vanishes
So much so that when I “suit up” I’ll keep and just add whatever I’m going to carry that day

In your case I would opt for the 3 inch
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I already have a <2" snub, getting another would net me 1 more round with the Kimber and I probably wouldn't shoot much .357 from a 2" -- so I'd be paying $800 to add another round. Seems kind of silly! I think I'll have more fun with the longer (and prettier) barrel and still be able to carry easily

That 800.00 extra round might be priceless if needed.
You know what they say.....
A parachute is needless until it's needed, and in that case if you don't have one, it's won't be needed anyways!LOL

I carry the 686+ with 3" barrel.

Yep. Me too.

No doubt that a 2 inch will carry easier.

Not sure how. The 3" carries just fine. To me, barrel length only becomes an issue if it's so long it interferes with sitting down. I guess at some point, bbl length would be an issue slowing down the draw. But I would think the difference is nil between 2 and 3 inches.

A full length extractor rod is a big advantage the 3" has over the 2.5" or 2".

Just know that both frames are different and don't take the same grips. The grip is hardest to hide. The barrel is easy. An LCR 3" gives you the option of shorter or longer grips. It has a very nice trigger too.

My experience is that a 3" carries IWB better than a shorter barrel. More of the pistol below the belt line makes for a more stable feel.

Some holsters carry higher than others. A high carry IWB holster with a short barrel makes for a top heavy mess. The butt of the revolver will sag out away from your body too.

In my book the added velocity and sight plane are very minor considerations on a close range point and shoot belly gun. I wouldn't give the 3" any point value there. It's just always been more stable while carrying for me.

Here is something else that defies logic too....I can carry a full size Government 1911 IWB better than I can an Officer's size. More of the pistol below the belt line.

Just know that both frames are different and don't take the same grips

Hmm, I have the Hogue wrap around grips that they show with the 3" model on my 2". By the way, those wrap around grips are the cat's meow. They are kinda fat, so I ground them down, but they sure do tame down the bite of the hottest .357 recoil!

They don't come any more "aesthetically pleasing" than this.:)

Don

attachment.php

It has been said that if you REALLY want to learn to shoot well, get a 2" snubby ... in .22LR or .22mag so you can afford to shoot a lot. The shorter sight radius is less forgiving of fine differences in sight picture shot to shot. Learn to shoot a snubby DA/SA revolver well and you can shoot anything well. I think this is oh, so true.

As for comfort / concealability, those are largely matters of preference. Personally there isn't an IWB holster made that is comfortable, short barrel or otherwise. I prefer a nice OWB hi-ride holster, and find that anything that lets the muzzle of the gun ride even one inch below belt level is hard to conceal, requiring an un-tucked shirt or something smok-like or a long unlined nylon windbreaker which is nearly impossible to find. My very strong preference is to wear a vest with a large strong-side outside pocket with a loose flap closure ... VERY hard to find, and a gun that will fit in that pocket.

As for the accuracy of the guns, well, the most accurate handgun I have ever shot aside from my Ruger MKIII Competition was a Dan Wesson 357 mag with a 2" barrel. I don't think barrel length makes a tinker worth of difference ... sight picture and the shooter's ability does.

Not sure how
Because it smaller

The 3" carries just fine
I never asserted they didn't
But a smaller object will always be easier to conceal than a larger one

But I would think the difference is nil between 2 and 3 inches.
It isn't

A full length extractor rod is a big advantage the 3" has over the 2.5" or 2"
After carrying firearms for over half a century, including four decades in LE...
I am more concerned about comfort than the >1:100,000,000 chance I'll need fractions of a second difference during the >1:100,000,000 chance I'll need a speed reload with a CCW wheel gun as an average citizen.
;)

My experience is that a 3" carries IWB better than a shorter barrel. More of the pistol below the belt line makes for a more stable feel.

Some holsters carry higher than others. A high carry IWB holster with a short barrel makes for a top heavy mess. The butt of the revolver will sag out away from your body too.

Seems like you need to learn how to find and use a better quality holster & belt.

Not knocking the comments on accuracy with short barreled hand guns, but it’s not what they are designed for and not how they will ever be used. You need to be able to deploy them quickly, get on target quickly, and empty them as fast as you can on target. This is how things will happen in a real SD situation and how I practice. Out to ten yds I can empty any of my pistols as fast as I can pull the trigger and keep all rounds on a standard size sheet of paper, that’s all the accuracy I require from a small carry gun. When I want target accuracy I get out my Model 14 with wadcutters and shoot slow aimed fire. It’s what it’s designed for. For open carry casual plinking woods gun I carry my 4” barreled pistols.

Not knocking the comments on accuracy with short barreled hand guns, but it’s not what they are designed for and not how they will ever be used. You need to be able to deploy them quickly, get on target quickly, and empty them as fast as you can on target. This is how things will happen in a real SD situation and how I practice. Out to ten yds I can empty any of my pistols as fast as I can pull the trigger and keep all rounds on a standard size sheet of paper, that’s all the accuracy I require from a small carry gun. When I want target accuracy I get out my Model 14 with wadcutters and shoot slow aimed fire. It’s what it’s designed for. For open carry casual plinking woods gun I carry my 4” barreled pistols.
To each his own.
I happen to enjoy bouncing pop cans around at 100 yards with my snubbies. :) Not to say I always hit them, but I sure scare hell out of them and bounce them around consistently.
So mine are used that way whether or not they were designed for that. And yes, it is always slow SA aimed fire.
Figure if I can do that, popping a perp at 7 yards is a piece o' cake.
But SA doesn't have to be slow at all. You can easily have the hammer cocked before the gun is even up to eye level for using the sights without slowing you down a bit and if you train right you will have a good sight picture soon as it is at that level.
I figure anybody can empty a gun into a man-sized target DA at 7 yards even without any sights on the gun, and that's all DA is for, useless for anything else.
I know some will differ on the "useless for anything else" part, but I am who I am and that's how it is for me.

In bear country I carry a .41 mag revolver that is VERY accurate and practice FAST SA ACCURATE shot placement with it. Because one shot is most likely all I will get and it had BETTER hit the mark.

As for emptying your gun into a perp, that could be a nice ticket to prison.
You are going to have to prove in court why you HAD to shoot the poor jerk 5 or 6 or 7 times.
If you didn't HAVE to, you will probably be in for a good dose of butt-hurt that no attorney will be able to dig you out of. :)

Last edited:
Back