2 shots center mass from .45 acp story

Who cares!

Sheesh! Do I feel left out or what?! I'm probably the only one on this thread who hasn't gone to Nam, Korea, broken a bone, got shot, etc... Kudos to all who served, and continue to do so. Oh wait, I stepped barefoot on a scorpion one time! That hurt WAAAAY more than a beesting!
Bullets are strange things, sometimes they don't kill when they should, and sometimes they kill when they shouldn't. Marinate on that for a while...
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm there? Is someone having an identity crisis or feeling a little inadequate? Is it our fault you've lived a sheltered life? Then why even bother to respond to this thread at all? Sorry but crap like this really pisses me off!

Last edited:
Sheesh! Do I feel left out or what?! I'm probably the only one on this thread who hasn't gone to Nam, Korea, broken a bone, got shot, etc... Marinate on that for a while...
This is a severe and misleading edit of Smoke Screen's full post.
Some of the text cut out:
Kudos to all who served, and continue to do so.
If that was meant in a sarcastic tone, I did not detect it.
Also...
Marinate on that for a while...
follows-and is in apparent reference to:
Bullets are strange things, sometimes they don't kill when they should, and sometimes they kill when they shouldn't.
This seems like a reasonable observation to me. And on topic.

Let us assume the best intentions of each poster until they make clear and open attacks. Otherwise we run the risk of investing our own peeves into innocent posts.

Besides, that kind of editing will put you in jeopardy of being hired by NBC news! (I'm pretty sure that last crack was ironic, not sarcastic. Okay, maybe sardonic.:D )

The book, "We were soldiers once" recounts finding a wounded soldier holding his head after a firefight who said, 'don't bother with me, I'm already dead'.
He had been shot in the forehead betwen the eyes.

Feel better now?

Hey Dave, do ya feel better I fixed it for ya!:D I still think it was a sarcastic remark better not said and who said anything about off topic?

Actually, wrong. Look at the x ring of center mass targets, its in the guts. Thats what most police agencies teach to aim for these days, the guts.

the heart is well above center mass.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

A green popsicle for the person who can find center mass on this target.

Attachments

• silhouetterc.jpg
    silhouetterc.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 98
My "on topic" remark was meant only to say that he had legitimate business posting. No other implication was intended.
And thank you for changing that.

@ TX RGR

According to where the X is on that target picture you posted, I would guess that it is either directly on the right atrium of the heart, or very close to it. On that picture, it is a chest shot just above the diaphragm.

Just thought after a long read that I would correct a misconception repeated several times in this thread.

Adrenaline or epinephrine, is a neurotransmitter secreted in moments of crisis, the old fight or flight response. It makes the heart beat faster and work harder, increases the flow of blood to the muscles, causes increased mental awareness, and produces other changes in the body to meet an emergency.

Endorphins, are hormone-like substances produced in the brain that have pain-relieving properties. It is the endorphins that act as the super pain reliever. Morphine and heroin are drugs that were made to react with are brain's endorphine receptors, that is why they relieve pain. Unfortunately they don't work as well and have some other inherent problems.

I don't know how to superimpose this view of the heart location onto the mass target shown above but it's pretty darn close. The "guts" are well below that point of impact.

Attachments

• Heart location.jpg
    Heart location.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 73
Adrenaline is better than morphine

Thought that I would correct a misconception repeated several times in this thread.
When we said "Adrenaline is better than morphine" we did not not mean as a long term pain killer. What we meant was when a person is "pumped up" on adrenaline it is sometimes better then morphine in the sense that one does not feel any pain from an injury suffered while under the influence of adrenaline. Once the adrenaline rush wears off the pain sets in where as the morphine depending on the dosage would last much longer. Does that make sense?

CobrayCommando,

No handgun round will reliably "put someone down", as in drop dead instantly, even if you hit the vitals, and especially if you don't. It happens, but eventually your going to run into someone who simply doesn't feel like laying down.

Let me pop you one in the melon (preferably between the eyes with the wimpy 9mm) and then you can shoot me with a howitzer anywhere you damn well please. A well placed shot (head shot) is a reliable stopper with a handgun. A handgun is a deadly weapon and to ignore that fact is folly. It is also fooly to expect that a shot from a handgun will reliably kill someone with one shot to the chest, even with a .45 acp.

Handguns Kill!

So Riverrat, let me get this straight. You originally noted that you told that that a sniper would be shooting at that spot below the nose to shut off a guy like a lightswitch, but in reality it was something you heard on the History Channel? Then thank you for the verification that the statement was over simplified.

Just exactly what is your point? I only stated a fact for what I knew it to be but as usual someone has to find fault with what someone says and humble us all with their superior knowledge and wisdom all for the sake of inflating their own ego. So I guess I should stand corrected.

My point? Your fact that you stated wasn't a fact. That is the point.

After reading all that mumbo jumbo that you obviously copy & pasted, how am I to know that it is indeed correct or just the opinion of someone who enjoys a blatant over-simplification or an amazingly poor understanding of terminal ballistics.

I am sorry you were unable to understand. I suggest you go spend time on the LIfetime network and come back after you understand anatomy.

I could kick you in the balls and not produce the desired result also but I'm not going to write 10 paragraphs on why it should be a straight on kick and not a glancing blow yada, yada, yada.

So I take it you learned this as well from your TV sniper buddy on the History Channel?

I explained clearly why the shot is over-simplified as described or stated by a person who isn't up to speed on anatomy. The shot is a very complex shot to make because of all the parameters involved. I take it that the sniper that talks to you from the TV failed to explain to you just what causes the lights to go off.

FYI, when I copy and paste stuff, I cite the web page.

Snipers don't only shoot for the head anyway. Carlos Hathcock, arguably the greatest sniper in American history killed most of his 93 confirmed enemy kills with non head shots. I read the book 93 confirmed kills and remember a general, Apache, a kid riding a bike loaded with ak-47's, and a bunch of enemy soldiers (I think a company)he pinned down for over a day.

I read that book too...but need to refresh my memory. Wasn't that the longest recorded kill ever? 2,500 yards? Thats almost 1.5 miles away! And that was with a .50 cal machine gun fitted with an unertl scope!!!! C. Hathcock was the best ever!:eek:

I really think that this whole discussion about "a pistol shot will or won't kill" is primarily a waste of time.
I think that it varys depending on the situation. Yes, many have survived a gun shot to the abs, chest, head, etc........but there have been MANY, MANY more that have NOT survived the exact same shots.
The whole point SHOULD be, be armed and ready..............it greatly increases your chances of making it home safe and sound.;)

Mr. Double Naught,

I have no intention of getting into a debate with you but if you're going to nit-pick every word I said let me clarify a few things. The statement I made about a sniper aiming for the spot below the nose I saw on a program about police snipers on The History Channel. They showed a man holding a hostage with a knife to her throat and needed to "shut him off like a switch" so he could not harm her and they did indeed do so by aiming at that exact point, just below the nose! He fell into a heap without making so much as a sound. I saw this video with my own eyes but of course you'll say the video was doctored! Sorry but the program was not about anatomy and exactly why the sniper aimed for that particular spot.

I simply mentioned that "light switch" comment as an after thought but you felt the need to enlighten us all on how "I was told by a person who enjoys blatant over-simplification or has an amazingly poor understanding of terminal ballistics. " It was only an hour long program and maybe they didn't have the time to go into all the details of anatomy and the fact that the shot is a very complex shot to make because of all the parameters involved. I suppose I could contact The History Channel and tell them you're pissed about that!

I suppose if I had mentioned how blue the sky is around here you would have felt compelled to provide a thesis on the weather and atmosphere just to show everyone how brilliant you are.
So I take it you learned this as well from your TV sniper buddy on the History Channel?
More sarcasm? My aren't we being defensive.
FYI, when I copy and paste stuff, I cite the web page.
So what the hell does that got to do with anything? I could copy and paste the bible but that doesn't make me an expert on religion! So you "cited" it from the web, does that makes it fact or correct? That's like saying if it ain't in the New York Post it ain't true! (Yes Virgina.)

You know I've got a brother-in-law who always, no matter what we're talking about has to say, well ya know actually that's not right or he says no, no you're wrong! He insults everyones intelligence and no one in the family wants to talk to him because he thinks he's an expert on everything!

Just thought I'd mention that as an after thought.

Back