1917 DWM Luger

Not sure why they are loading up so big. It wasn't easy getting them off my phone so I used TapaTalk. Never had that app do that when posting pictures to other forums that I am on. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe once they load up all the way they will become smaller.

Admin I apologize for those large pics. I tried to delete the posts but I couldn't. I just deleted the pictures out of them. Trying to upload them another way. Can you delete those other crazy posts? Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    978.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 44
More pictures. Hopefully this helps you all out.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 36
I tried to take the best pictures I could. I got like 30 and I am uploading a bunch. Hoping everyone is ok with all the pictures and it helps out.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 35
Thank you for the pics. I believe it was usual to only number one of the grips, but am not certain.

based on the pics and everything being the same general condition, I'd say a "force match" is doubtful. I can see traces of the straw color on the small parts, and the magazines are period correct for the pistol, though if you can't find matching numbers on them, I wouldn't assume they were the original mags.

My book lists that model as "common" (by # produced). Looks to be in good condition, (bore needs cleaning ;)) Finish appears original. I don't know if its actually worth $1700 today, but if not, it will be eventually. :D

Looks like a good example in decent shape, and about as original as you are likely to find for a WW I Luger. With the holster tis not a steal at the asking price, but its not the most outrageously priced Luger I've seen, either.

Again, you need to find someone currently in the Luger buy/sell market to get an idea of the current value. Personally, if they let you put it on layaway, I'd buy it. :D

If you do buy it, and plan to shoot it, DO NOT use any kind of NATO spec or +p ammo!!!! That gun was built to run on German service ammo of the day, which was a 115gr at 1150fps. Anything hotter is a stupid abuse of a fine antique.

44 Amp

Thanks for the info. Yeah they will let me put it on a 90 day layaway

I am planning to shoot it a little. You know like a magazine here and there. Not going to get crazy and I will make sure I am shooting light ammo. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats Deerhunter. A mag or two now and then of the proper ammo shouldn't hurt anything.

The original standard Luger loading was a 124gr at 1050fps, which was changed to a 115gr at 1150fps shortly before WW I. They are "light" compared to what is sold for defense today, but I don't call them "light" just standard.

something I just thought of, for you to check, does the gun have the loading tool with it? There's a little pocket in the holster for that. If it doesn't, get one from one of the repro suppliers. You will want one, and it completes the set.

Monocle, walrus moustache, pickelhaube helmet "Got Mit Uns" belt and Field Grey greatcoat are optional accessories....:rolleyes::D

Wow, that is really beautiful!
I shoot mine once a year, about 100 rounds . . . and it has broken each of the last three times I've taken it to the range.
Mine is not all matching, the parts that broke were either non-matching or unnumbered, so not a huge deal, but something to keep in the back of your mind when deciding how much to shoot.

Attachments

• luger5.jpg
    luger5.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
44 Amp. Yeah that tool is in the holster. I used it to take the grips off at the shop

Rick I am going to be careful with it. I am thinking about getting a reproduction firing pin for it for when I shoot

Jim it sure does. The barrel is real dirty. First thing I will do when I get it home is clean it all up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Deerhunter,
I have a 1917 DWM 9 mm with 1 matching mag, 1 spare mag, all matching parts which I bought for EUR 1700 a little over three years ago. Since your mag isn't a match, but you have a holster and loading tool, $1700 is not unreasonable. I have shot mine with S&B Subsonic FMJ and have had no trouble. I shoot it only very occasionally, as it is a special gun for me (the first Luger I ever laid eyes on).

A dirty barrel is not a good sign. If pitting is evient after cleaning, this would drop the value significantly from a collector's point of view. Most serious collectors are rather picky about the bore. Your photos of the outside look pretty good!

I had a reblued 1918 DWM all-matching which I bought as a shooter. I broke the holdopen, finally got another after 2 long months. This new part did fit, but the gun did not cycle as smoothly as before. This made me more hesitant to continue shooting my 1917. So............I found a Bern Model 06/29 in 7,65 mm which is great to shoot- (ammo is pricey though).

Looks like you have a good buy. Perhaps find a non matching shooter to take to the range. I was VERY happy that I did not break the holdopen in my 1917.

Back