1911 magazines

Covert Mission

Help! I am having trouble getting my McCormick 8 round mags to drop free consistently. Cost me valuable time in my last IDPA match. When the last round is stripped off, the follower, which fits in loosely, can change its cant and overhang, catching on the the inside of the mag well. Driving me nuts. My Ed Brown mags don't do it.... best I've found so far. The follower is molded plastic, and fits very tight in the mag... no change of position.

Can TFL'ers recommend their all time favorite 8 rd mags... those that pop out every time when ejected, and are super feed-reliable? Thanks.

I use Wilson 8 round mags and have never had any problems at all. I have two Colt factory mags that came with the shooting star followers in them. Nothing but problems from day one. I threw that McCormick crap away and put in Wilson follower kits, the problems went away.

Ditto to what Greyfox said. Wilson mags always work in my 1911's. Even the 10 rounders. The U.S. Marines use these in their specially built custom 1911's. The F.B.I. also specified this magazine on their custom Springfields for their S.W.A.T. teams.

Weird, I have the Chip Mccormick 10 rounders and have never had this problem.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

What DOC spanky said, I have never had that problem with any of my Shooting Star magazines, stainless or blue or darkened stainless. What I have had problems with are my Wilson magazines.

I have had no problems with the Wilson 8 round, or the McCormick 10 round mags in my Gold Cup.
The McCormick mags were rough (follower would stick halfway down),when I got them, but cleaned up with a riffler real nice.
After decades of shooting and competing with other auto pistol shootersIt every gun/magazine combination is different.
Cat

For some reason, my Kimber Stainless Target just loves 8rd Shooting Stars. My new Kimber Classic Stainless is not to crazy about them. I have had no problems with the 10rd Shooting Stars.

Thanks, everyone. Trial and error is the word, I guess.

Are the followers in the Wilson mags like my Ed Browns... solid or rigid plastic? Is it easy to get the floorplate off the McCormicks, to switch followers (there's no screws... do you just tap off)?

Thanks again —CM

I've had good experiences with MecGar mags. I don't like Shooting Star/McCormick mags as the last two rounds tend to nosedive in some guns.

The very best mags (8-rounders) available are by Mag-Pack, truly the most technologically advanced 1911 mag I've seen! They are titanium nitride coated, with a polymer follower that is self lubricating. A ball bearing detent in the follower minimizes wear and seems to help in providing consistent feeding. The shape of the follower prevents nosedives. The baseplate bumper is the perfect size to prevent catching, yet aids in positively seating the mag every time.

As soon as I get some cash, I'll be ordering 10 for each 1911 I own!

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com/ewc2000
Edged Weapons Conference 2000

Arnistador,

Where can I order these Mag pack mags?
They sound pretty good. Have you actually used one yet? Do you know if they are available for Officers type short grip models?

Thanks,
Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

I use Ed Brown magazines (8 rounds) exclusively, and I have never had a problem with durability or functionality. From what I've seen I think that these magazines are among the best...

I've never seen a 1911 mag with floorplates in .45 (.40 and 10mm, yes).

Push follower down 1/2 way, then stick a punch, paper clip, etc. through one of the watch ports in the side of the mag and on through to the other side. The follower should come out easily, now that spring tension has been relieved.

Wow, I'm surprised that so many people have never heard of Mag Packs before. They are popular among many competitors (they make a weighted bumper version which ensures drop free operation even in out of spec guns.)

Have I used them? Yes, I have a few and they are my best mags. I use MecGars as beaters, but the only ones I use for defense are Mag Packs.

They are available in Officers and Govt/Commander size versions. They all have an orange indicator to on the follower to show how many rounds used (viewed through witness holes.) Floorplate/bumpers are removeable for mag maintenance. I believe they use Wolff springs.

I am in the process of ordering a batch for myself (I get dealer pricing thanks to my affiliation w/ Street Smart) though we do not currently carry them as an official product line. I just think they make the best 1911 mags.

Maybe if there is enough interest, I can order a bunch for the forumites here. I don't have the dealer sheet in front of me, but I think they are about $20 a piece, maybe less.

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com/ewc2000
Edged Weapons Conference 2000

[This message has been edited by Arnistador (edited September 30, 1999).]

I apologize for not getting back to the forumites sooner after the flood of interest ref: Mag Pack Magazines. As a Result of this we will do a one time offer for the forum of all Mag Pag items at Dealer cost. We are not in the business of doing huge amount of Mag Pack, but Tim and I are happy to do this as a thanks to all of you for your support through the years. I will posta special URL that has the price info on it. We will announce the cut off date for mag orders in a couple days.

Take Care,

Bill Perches
http://www.streetpro.com
(949)888-1131

[This message has been edited by streetpro (edited October 19, 1999).]

You can purchase Mag Packs at Brownells.com 8 rd. blue = $14.35 S.S. = $18.95. Competition model is $15.95 blue. BTW Ed Brown mags are made by Metalform. The only diff. I can see are the bumper pads. I had the same problem with McCormicks. They would not lock the slide back with the stock Kimber slide release. Mine were rough on the inside also. I returned them to Brownells. Pardon me for plugging Brownells but they are a great company to deal with. I have dealt with them for 30+ years and have not had one single problem.

Back