1911 lubricant

Looks like another lube thread has gone to the dogs.

Doggie juice has been known to work just fine too, ... in limited amounts. :eek:

'Course, it ain't what the Marines use on their Colt M45A1 CQBP pistols - but hey, you weekend warriors aren't in the Corp, are you? :D

I've used a number of oils and greases, from CLP to Gun Butter, and Wilson Combat Ultimalube grease and oil, and I've stuck with the Wilson products. Not so much because they appear to be much better than anything else, but because I bought enough that I haven't run out. When I do, who knows?
I use the Ultimalube grease as an "assembly lube", put in places where it won't run out or evaporate if I need the gun before I have a chance to fully lube it.
If I'm going to the range, I apply oil as I normally would, but the gun will certainly run a mag or two without additional lube.

I've been using Break Free LP, which is thicker than the CLP, for quite some time across all the designs that I own, including 1911s, and have yet to have a problem. Of course, if any oil is applied too liberally, it'll run regardless of thickness.

I am a fan of CLP myself but I expect any name brand oil will work just fine. Militec also makes a fine line of lubricants.

I've been using Break Free LP, which is thicker than the CLP, for quite some time across all the designs that I own, including 1911s, and have yet to have a problem.

I used LP for a number of years, and still have a partial bottle. No complaints.
No complaints about the time I had to go under the hood of a friend's car for a few drops of ATF, either!
Where, and how much, is more important than the "what".

for storage I use frog lube or for carry in the summer. in winter or for range cleaning I use fp-10

many of the companies actually do recommend motor oil but I hate the slimy feel it leaves the gun and I don't like the idea of motor oil in my 2000-3000 dollar 1911's

many of the companies actually do recommend motor oil but I hate the slimy feel it leaves the gun and I don't like the idea of motor oil in my 2000-3000 dollar 1911's
If it feels slimy, you probably used too much

It works great in a $500,000 Lamborghinni, so it won't hurt your $2000 pistol ;)

im a car guy and understand the reason of using motor oil. most lambos aren't beaten on either or driven with the oil exposed to atmosphere where it collect dust or thicken with heat or cold.

as for the slimy feel I apply oil I use a oiling syringe and blow the excess off. so not over oiling it. its the actual oil that I do not like the feel of.

RickB: said:
I used LP for a number of years, and still have a partial bottle. No complaints.
No complaints about the time I had to go under the hood of a friend's car for a few drops of ATF, either!
Where, and how much, is more important than the "what".

Yeah, these lube threads always end up going the same direction. What's ''best'' always ends up overshadowing the more important aspect of lubrication -that we do it both in moderation and in the correct location(s).

I don't know what is best. I have tried all the usuals.....hoppes elite, frog, rem-oil etc. they all seem to work pretty well. I prefer RemOil for trigger components and turnbolts. Mpro7 will keep my AR bolt wet for the better part of a day, when others do not. I also use Mpro for the slide rails on my semi auto pistols. the downside to Mpro is also whats best about it, being so thick, it attracts dirt in some places, which is why I don't like it in trigger groups
but if your desire is longest lasting, give it a try

<making note to look up "rocket surgery", after taking the dogs to which this thread allegedly went, to breakfast, after shooting bacon grease-lubed firearms rapidly enough to emit characteristic hunger-provoking aroma>

Lube for an M1911 pistol

Rem Oil lubes fine but seems to wear out quickly.

I generally use grease on the slides of my auto pistols. Lubriplate, TW-25B, Brian Enos Slide Glide, Shooter's Choice Red Grease, MD7, I've used all of them with good success.

I use grease on a gun that will be carried for at least a couple of weeks before being shot & recleaned, which applies to my duty gun for work and whichever off duty auto is in the rotation for this quarter. I haven't noticed a problem with grease in really cold weather, but if it's that cold I'm probably not out on the range for more than 90 minutes anyway.

On guns that will be shot more frequently than that, I usually use oil. I have most recently been using Slip 2000 EWL (extreme weapons lubricant) and also 10-8 Performance Lube.

For regular lube I've used Triflow, Triflon, Break Free CLP, GI LSA, Militec, FP-101, Weapon Shield, Prolix, Snake Oil, Rem Oil, Gun Butter, Machine Gunner's Lube, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. and hadn't had any problems with those, either. STP and Marvel Mystery Oil works pretty well. My mechanic uses Mobil One as a lube on his rifles and is very happy with it.

Some shooters recommend the procedure of using a "floater" (thin bead) of oil atop the grease before going to the range for a lengthy practice session. I've experimented with that a little bit but I suspect that getting that complicated may be over thinking the issue a little bit . . .

25 years ago I shot on the State ARNG pistol team (to be honest, I was 2nd alternate) with a couple of old timers who made their own "Red Oil". If they liked you, they'd put a little bit on the slide rails of your M1911. It was a big honor. "Red Oil" was a mix of STP, Marvel Mystery Oil, Breakfree or Triflow, and something else that I don't remember anymore.

Seemed to lubricate okay. Tended to get all over the lenses of your shooting glasses because it was kind of thin

There are about a bazillion different products out there, and I've used most of them and they pretty much all worked well. Lube for different applications does indeed have a different formula and additive package. Some guys get all worked up because they don't want to spend the money for a weapon specific lubrication product, and others like to experiment and make their own cleaners ("Ed's Red") or lubricants. There has been many discussions about lubrication on this forum in the past.

I always use a little grease on the rails and wipe every thing else down with CLP. Just need to make sure the CLP doesn't mess with the grease.

I've been using something called xf-7 for about 6 months now. Up until then, I've been a CLP/Breakfree user since bootcamp back in '85. It was demo'd to me at a gun show this year and it seemed to be fairly impressive. Put a little bit on the rails and its good to go. No run off, no mess, lasts a long time. Supposed to be a very good rust inhibitor as well, but I have no way of proving that. Still, I've applied the stuff under all my grips just in case.

http://www.xf7gungrease.com/

Back