1911 45 auto

Rugers are a good choice if the current crop are akin to my 6 yr old SR1911 and CMD. Both are 2" at 25 yd guns from a rest with well made target level handloads. Both have been utterly reliable with a combined total of 5000+ rounds. Both sport parts that are 100% interchangeable with Colt Series 70 1911.

For features: with Novak sights, checkered front and MSH, sensible sized slide stop and safety controls and SS construction, IMHO, they're a fine choice for 1911 suitable chores. In that regard, I do find both a bit to heavy for daily, all-day carry...but for range use and short hops, they're just fine.

Lastly, you seldom see them in used gun displays in my neck of the woods....a good measure of satisfaction in that knowledgeable shooters that buy them, hold on to them.

My 50+ years of experience with the 1911 has been with half a dozen Colts, two WWll Remington-Rands, a couple of Sigs and the aforementioned Rugers. Were I forced to settle on one, it'd be the Ruger CMD in .45 ACP. They're the best I've shot for the money....

Best Regards, Rod

I have gone almost completely over to RIA pistols. More bang for the buck and accuracy is equal to and better than most 1911's that cost well over $1000. The Rock Ultras are the way to go. All that's needed to tune them up is a sear spring change for $6. I use Wilson springs. Sometimes I go a little farther and use flat wound recoil springs. Shock buffs are not needed and do nothing for me. I also shoot 100% handloaded ammo using Starline brass. I also use the Lee factory crimp die. This die will eliminate all your feed issues if you have any.

I have two 1911s. One is a Springfield Armory “loaded” that I purchased used. The other is a Colt Gold Cup. They get shot a lot. Both have been trouble free. The Gold Cup has, conservatively, 100K rounds through it. Enough said.

Go over to 1911Addicts and see what is available. There is a lot of bad advice being peddled here. You deserve better than foreign-made junk.

Kevin Rohrer said:
There is a lot of bad advice being peddled here. You deserve better than foreign-made junk.
Please identify -- specifically -- the bad advice given here, and please identify -- specifically -- which 1911s currently available are foreign-made junk.

I don't know if it makes it "junk" but a lot of the foreign made copies seem to get a lot of DIY gunsmithing: "My Slobovvian Service Special shoots just great now that I have replaced the hammer and trigger and barrel and springs with genuine 'Murrican titanthium parts."

I am sure there are people out there shooting stock guns, but you wouldn't know it from the internet gun boards.

Jim Watson said:
I don't know if it makes it "junk" but a lot of the foreign made copies seem to get a lot of DIY gunsmithing: "My Slobovvian Service Special shoots just great now that I have replaced the hammer and trigger and barrel and springs with genuine 'Murrican titanthium parts."
Conversely, curiously enough most of the foreign-made 1911s seem to work out of the box, but they may not deliver master-class bullseye accuracy. On 1911-specific sites, the forums are full of threads started by people who bought a $500 foreign 1911, threw in another $500 or more of "billet steel," "tactical grade" parts from several different name brand parts mongers ... and then they come to the forums complaining because their "foreign-made" gun is junk because it doesn't work.

It's like the old saying in the Jeep world: "If it ain't broke -- fix it 'til it is."

And we have major big brand names that have to deliver "good customer service" after they deliver a gun that doesn't work, too.

Go over to 1911Addicts and see what is available. There is a lot of bad advice being peddled here. You deserve better than foreign-made junk.

While I’m not a fan of foreign 1911’s, some of the finest pistols in the world are built overseas. I own many.

44 AMP said:
I'd say the major difference between foreign made junk and US made junk is the cost, and import markings,,,

Junk is junk, regardless of the point of origin.

On the other hand, the difference between an excellent, fully functional foreign-made 1911 and an equally excellent, fully functional (but no better) U.S.-made 1911 can be anywhere from $500 to $2,500.

On the other hand, the difference between an excellent, fully function foreign-made 1911 and an equally excellent, fully functional (but no better) U.S.-made 1911 can be anywhere from $500 to $2,500

…and exactly which foreign 1911 is just as excellent as a US built model costing $2500 more?

That Turkish crap is $500+ or -, so that would make them just as excellent as an American built $3000 semi custom?

Last edited:

…and exactly which foreign 1911 is just as excellent as a US built model costing $2500 more?

That Turkish crap is $500+ or -, so that would make them just as excellent as an American built $3000 semi custom?
What features of a Tisas Duty 1911 would you consider crap?

The forged and hardened before machining frame and slide?

The forged and chromed barrel?

The lack of MIM parts?

The fit and finish?

The fact that the four I've purchased all worked while the Colt series 80 and Dan Wesson Pointman/Patriot did not?

My 1911 of choice is a RIA but if I wanted to get as close to a government model as I could get it would be a Tisas Army.

What features of a Tisas Duty 1911 would you consider crap?

The forged and hardened before machining frame and slide?

The forged and chromed barrel?

The lack of MIM parts?

The fit and finish?

The fact that the four I've purchased all worked while the Colt series 80 and Dan Wesson Pointman/Patriot did not?

If you like them that’s what matters. I only buy high end pistols, so I’m not one to ask. Not a fan of the Turkish pistols I’ve handled. All they do is produce clones with darn near slave labor. I’ll pass.

bac1023 said:
Not a fan of the Turkish pistols I’ve handled. All they do is produce clones with darn near slave labor.
Actually, just like Armscor/RIA and the other Philippine gun makers, they don't use near slave labor, they use CNC machining, just like the American makers. The Tisas guns generally go Bang when you pull the trigger. If you want to buy an American-made pistol for patriotic or political reasons, I'm all for that. But please don't allow your politics to lead you to making unsubstantiated comments about the quality of the firearms. That's a separate issue.

Not everyone can afford to buy high-end firearms.

You first have to decide what features you want on your 1911. Features I have to have on a 1911 includes quality adjustable sights and good out of the box accuracy as I still shoot some formal matches. Gun prices follows the pattern of quality 22 LR ammo, the more expensive shoots better but you will hit a point of diminishing returns. You have to decide where that point is for you. A Springfield Range Officer (RO) is a good deal at around $850 for what you get for your money. I have a RO in 9mm that I got a 38 Super barrel for, a fitted bushing, and some magazines. It shoots 38 Super very well and is definitely a keeper. Never owned a RIA 1911 but shot them some and I thought it was a good pistol. Good luck with what you decide.

There were some deluxe gunsmithing projects on Chinese copies.
I’ve seen a lot of minor fixups on Filipino and Turkish imports but nothing fancy.
Have I missed them or is it just not a 21st century fad?

Last edited:
Back