1851 Pietta Revolver

Well, I can't help you much but I have the same Colt on it's way and should be here Friday. They suggested I buy there wedge puller that was on sale for $4.99 so I did. On another site someone mentioned that they just used a screw driver. I'm sure someone on here can tell you just what you need to do.

Getting the wedge out isn't a problem if you don't baby it. Place a small screwdriver head or something that fits over the wedge tip but doesnt touch the exit slot and give it a slight whack (you have to elevate the left side of the gun so the wedge has clearance when it comes out). Use someting soft like a piece of wood if you dont want to mar the metal. I use a Walker nipple wrench, screwdriver end, which compresses the wedge spring perfectly. The problem is putting the wedge back it - don't drive it too far.
The wedge puller is meant to use on a musket.

Pohill, Where did you get the idea that the wedge puller is for a musket? The one I ordered is offered with the 1851 Colt and other revolvers with wedges.

JASONMATTSON, When I talked to a gun teck at Cabelas he said they were on sale and he recomended one for all the wedge style revolvers so I added it to my order yeasterday. It will allow you to pull the wedge without dinging up the gun in cases like your having now.They do get stuck every now and then. I'll let you know how it works.

Are you talking about this item at Cabelas?

Wedge Pin Puller
The Wedge Pin Puller is crafted from hardened steel. It has a flat hammer head, a claw type wedge pin puller and a nipple wrench. And it also has a hole for a thong or lanyard. For use on rifles only, does not fit musket nipples.

This is how it's supposed to work. I haven't seen one of the Piettas with the difficult wedge but a lot of people post about them:
attachment.php

Pohill, I have no idea which wedge puller he was suggesting. All I can tell you is what I said above. He is there gun teck and and we talked about the 51 I was buying he suggested the a wedge puller for it that they have on sale. I'm assumeing he knows what he's talking about but who knows. I'll post a pic of it when I get it and let you know if it works.
Thanks for the pics Mec!

That's the only wedge puller they advertise. It really won't work on a Colt wedge - the musket wedges have a lip that the puller can grab. But, if you can adapt it to a Colt, that'd be great. Nothing against Cabelas, but if you want advice on some items they sell, go right to Traditions and ask them. Good luck.

Pohill, Cabelas has never led me wrong yet and I have been dealing with them for over 35 years.They don't advertise the parts kit either but you can get them if you ask there teck for the order number.

I had trouble with that wedge too.

I was trying to use a softer punch (hard plastic) to hammer it out, but it wasn't working.

In the end I just broke down and used a flat tipped screwdriver as a punch, and it came out right away with that one.

I did put the revolver between two phone books to make it easier.

I also have a Pietta '51 Navy which is difficult to break down. The problem is that the wedge spring (See the photo in mec's post above) is so strong that I have to push DOWN on the little tab of the wedge spring (so that it will clear the hole) before/while pushing the wedge out. Looking at the wedge after taking it out of the gun, the wedge spring sticks up above the top of the wedge quite a bit. I've never seen one quite like that, maybe it needs to be replaced with one that isn't quite so "sprung".

The strong wedge spring is a good thing. The Walker nipple wrench has a screwdriver end that slides in and compresses the spring, with a lip that pushes up against the tip of the wedge at the same time. A little tap and it's out.

I had this very same problem with both of my recently-purchased Pietta Colts. Here is the cheap solution:

Support the gun on your workbench so as not to mar the finish. I scrounged up a short 4" long piece of wooden dowel that was 1" diameter. Place the dowel on the end of the wedge on the right side of the barrel. Then, using a big hammer, wack the end of the dowel REALLY HARD! And not some wimpy hit- WACK IT REALLY HARD!! The wedge will pop right out.

Using the wooden dowel, it won't mar the blueing at all. The wedge will also be much easier to remove from now on too. All I have to use now on my Colts to remove the wedge is a small hammer (with plastic ends to protect the finish).

Remember: Wack it REALLY HARD!!

FWIW,

Last edited:
I'll post a picture of this thing that Cabelas sent me. The guy I talked to called it a wedge puller but when I got it I had no idea how to use it as a wedge puller so I called them at Cabelas.
This thing is really neat! It looks like a 4" long billy-club but one end is tapered down to look like a round stick about 1.5" and about 1/4" around. What you do is flatten the round stick part on both sides until it fits the wedge slot. Now you can just wrap the large head of this thing with a hammer and tap out the wedge pin without dinging up your revolver or the pin. It's made of really tuff hard plastic.
It's made by Mountain State muzzle loaders and it's called a barrel pin puller.
Works great !

Smack that wedge...

Use a rawhide or similar composition, plastic, rubber, teflon. And give it a good smack it'll come out.

Happy Holidays to all...

SG,
You back home? or on your Bro's computer?
I'm going to the Gun Shop in the Morning to shoot my newest "58.
Be shootin' light load unique to see what this new one does. Too bad it's supposed to rain, Dm range is a lot closer.

Yeah, I would recommend finding a punch that is soft enough to not mark up your metal finish if possible. I used a flat tip screwdriver before, but I did slip once and marred the finish of my brother's 1847 Walker Colt once. It isn't bad, but still it shouldn't have happened.

Next time I am in a hardware store I will see if they have any brass punches, or at least some wooden dowel rod that I can sand or whittle down to fit the colt wedge pin slot.

The wedge puller (pusher) I got from Cabelas works perfectly and it will not leave any dings or marks on your frame or the pin.I can also tap the wedge back in with the heavy end of this thing. It's made out of really tuff , hard plastic. I had to flatten the end with a grinder so that it fit the end of the wedge and slot . Looks and works just like it was made for it!

Navycolt.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a beauty of a gun and I may have to get one myself after I finish collecting the main group of 58 remingtons that I want. I'm curious, are you going to keep her in the blue or will you give it a patina finish like you did on your 58? The gun would look good either way. :D

Back