15 00 Buckshot pellets or 10 000 Buckshot pellets?

15 00 Buckshot pellets or 10 000 Buckshot pellets?

• 15 00 Buckshot

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 10 000 Buckshot

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Links within on the #1 being the ultimate buckshot.

Let me start with "I'm not saying #1 buck is a bad choice" far from it, however.
Declaring it ultimate assumes certain "facts" that aren't really facts.

1: That the FBI's 12" minimum is ideal, nope it's the minimum and may not be sufficient which is why in HWFE it says up to 18" would be preferred.

2: that overpenatration is a real concern, any load that has a realistic good chance of being effective will in fact over penetrate, besides there's a good chance you'll miss.

I'd prefer 41 pellets of #4 buck.

Same here. No problem settling for a reduced number of pellets using a 2 3/4" shell instead of the 3" package if recoil is a concern. I think #4 Buck is a good compromise when considering pellet count, penetration and recoil for use against human predation.

The 2 or 3 guys who preferred #1 Buckshot over the #00 Buckshot, curious as to why? Is it the reduced recoil?

Studying the few available autopsy reports with #1 and a few guys I respected going with #1 (as opposed to #4 and 00) I decided to try some tests myself several years ago. After that, I got some #1 buck and shot about 25 hogs with it. To me, the claimed benefits over the #4 and 00 appeared to be valid.

I shoot #4 and 00 mostly in competition where there are benefits and even rules that require it in some cases. While #4 is better than birdshot, I have yet to see a coyote or hog effectively killed at short range with only one round. I rolled a coyote at about 35 yards with #4 2 weeks ago, finished him with a 50 grain .223 at 400 yards. He was hit with 20 of the 27 pellets, and literally did a somersault (in the direction he was already running), 5 through the lungs, and still ran almost almost 1 mile before he took a break. He was sitting when I got the .223 on him. I have killed a dozen coyotes with #1 out to 50 yards with the same shotgun.

No, buckshot is not my first choice for coyotes, but I carry it when I am bird hunting and often get shots at coyotes. I carry a buckshot round in the One Shot Shell Saver and I can switch with the chambered birdshot load in about a second. I literally grabbed the wrong plastic box of buckshot while packing for the trip and ended up with #4 instead of #1.

Already stated: #1 has an increased surface area over the 00 or 000 and penetrates the same/similar to 00 or 000.

Well that would be an incorrect statement #1 will out penetrate #4, 0 will out penetrate #1, 00 will out penetrate 0 and 000 will out penetrate 00.

I've found (with the tests I've done myself) that #1, #4, 00, & 000 will ALL penetrate a wooden outside wall @ 15'........that's why I have the low-brass birdshot loaded in some shotguns and the high-brass birdshot & buckshot in others.......for me it all depends on the level of response I have to use.

I originally bought the #4 buckshot hoping it wouldn't over penetrate like the 00 & 000 does.....but it still did. I only bought the #1 buckshot because at the time, a case of 00 was very scarce.

I don't mean to come off too rude, but did you read the ar15.com link? That link is pretty much the definitive source on 223/556 ammo and happens to have some well studied/reasoned information on #1. I am not afraid to say I am not an expert, but these guys clearly are experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back