15 00 Buckshot pellets or 10 000 Buckshot pellets?

15 00 Buckshot pellets or 10 000 Buckshot pellets?

• 15 00 Buckshot

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 10 000 Buckshot

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern buckshot loads pattern pretty tightly...

Even from an 18" open choke barrel this is true! At self-defense distances most people have no idea how tight the pattern is, and think just pointing in the general direction is good enough. It isn't.

Or, which will kill better...a slug that misses someone's chest, or three or four buckshot that hit the chest with the rest missing the chest? Ask'en for a friend.

Then use 1-1/8 oz of #9 skeet loads.................:rolleyes:

I agree that the FliteControl wad is not needed for HD. I use the #1 Federal load because it is a lower recoil load and I like #1.
My HD shotgun is a Mossberg 500 with an 18" cylinder bore and a 12" lop stock. I wanted it as short as possible for easy handling in the house. The lower recoil makes the light, short 500 easier to shoot fast and accurately.
I shoot plenty of full power buck, and have patterned loads.
The spread of a cheap soft lead buckshot load with just a flat wad is pretty good at 20", enough to possibly make hit out of a miss on a fast moving target.
While I like how standard buckshot loads shoot, the FliteControl loads I've shot, both 00 and #1, seems well made, consistent and reliable.

The people that have such a hard on for FLITECONTROL® just love anything labeled TACTICAL or with a cop or soldier on the box of ammo.

It's not needed or wanted for REALISTIC home defense. For LE or .mil use were ranges might extend outside the home, it's useful.

Reduced recoil #4 buck for ease of control

I would use the PDX1 rounds or even the T-shot coyote rounds. They are too expensive to waste on a criminal but they both perform very well in my benelli

Well, a shotgun wouldn't be my first choice, but if I had to use one, I'd just grab the 3", Number 1 buckshot I've already got.

They work well enough on deer.

I don't use my shotgun for HD. I have patterned buck shot with 9 pellets at 25 yards and all pellets hit a silhouette target. At 7 yards it pretty much makes a big hole, but so does bird shot.

If it was just for inside my home, I would take the most pellets. I have out building as in a boat house/dock and a detached garage with a loft. I keep my 8 round capacity shotgun loaded with a combination of 00 Buck and slugs. There are also no nearby neighbors.

I just dont understand the logic of mixing loads in a shotgun. Under the stress of a SD shooting you will NEVER keep track of what is next into the chamber and therefor have no idea what load you are about to launch.

I much prefer to keep the tube full of buck and have the ability to switch to a slug if distance or penetration needs dictate.

I just dont understand the logic of mixing loads in a shotgun. Under the stress of a SD shooting you will NEVER keep track of what is next into the chamber and therefor have no idea what load you are about to launch.

I much prefer to keep the tube full of buck and have the ability to switch to a slug if distance or penetration needs dictate.

Agreed. Used to alternate but have since seen the light. Loaded with buckshot with 4 slugs and 2 more buckshot on the side saddle. Can toss in a slug if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I voted 15 00 Buck...even though it's not actually what I keep loaded in my Mossberg 835. It is what I keep as backup for end of the world or something, if I were hunkered down for defense with only long hall/alley to shoot down and expecting multiple attackers. Two birds with one shell or something like that.

I have found the Hornady 8 pellet 00 Buck patterns best in my cylinder barrel with rifle sights. They use a similar wad to the flight control in Federal, so reasonably tight pattern and reduced recoil.

The Rem 9 pellet, and then 3" Rem 15 pellet and Win Super-X 15 pellet also pattern well in the overbore Ultimag barrel. Hornady and flight control not so much.

I do also have some 3.5" Super-X with 18 pellet 00 Buck. They are a beast though. More for novelty, unless my plan is ending something with only one shot...which it ought.

I wouldn't mind finding some #1 or #4 buck some time, but I never see it available. I don't understand why it's not more commonplace.

My logic is based upon distance to the outbuilding or facilities. It is about 35 yards from my front door to the end of my dock and boathouse (lake side of property is always considered front of house). My detached garage and loft is out the back door of the house and about 20 yards. Inside it will hardly makes a difference.

The shotgun is a Mossberg ATF with a 20" barrel and 8 round capacity. The first 5 rounds are 00 Buck and the last three rounds are slugs.

You can question my logic if you choose. It is what I am comfortable with in the situation.

I was hunting in a thick area near some pig sign a few weeks ago and decided to take the shotgun instead of a rifle. I ended up harvesting a 130lb buck instead of a pig with my home defense load of Hornady eight pellet Critical Defense 00 buck at a range of 18 yards. All eight pellets hit the buck, most in the lungs. None of the pellets exited the deer which was immediately incapacitated and quickly died. I was impressed with the performance of the load.

Neither, none of my HD shotguns even have 3" chambers. I'm fine with good old mil spec 9 00 buck, I do keep flite control in the butt cuff IMHO it has most of the range of slugs without the overpenatration concerns

in my pistol grip shotguns............low brass #4s, #7.s, and #8s

in my 18.5" & 20" pumps.............High Brass #4s, #5s, and #6s.......2.75" 00buck, 2.75" #1 buck, 2.75" #4 buck.........3" 00buck & 3" 000buck

in my 26", 28", & 30" barreled shotguns.............low brass #4s(old single shots)2.75" 00buck, High Brass #4s & #6s, & 3" #2 NITRO MAGs.

anything outside my door upto 25' 3" 00 & 000 buck.......after that AR-15!!

I have no kids to worry about.............

#1 buckshot inside a dwelling. It will stop an attacker but is much less likely to harm anyone on the other side of a wall.

Last edited:
#1 Federal Buckshot vs #00 Federal Buckshot

The 2 or 3 guys who preferred #1 Buckshot over the #00 Buckshot, curious as to why? Is it the reduced recoil?

Number 1 buck has the same recoil as 00 if the weight of the load and the velocity is the same. Some people prefer number 1 because it won't penetrate quite as far as 00 and has more surface area for a given weight of shot than 00. Others may prefer it because a particular number 1 load patterns they way they like in their particular gun.

No. 1 buck is favored by many because it is much less likely to penetrate through both sides of drywall in adjoining rooms. This reduces the risk of harming a person in an adjoining room. At least that is what I have found on the internet (outside of forums) in support of No. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back