15 00 Buckshot pellets or 10 000 Buckshot pellets?

15 00 Buckshot pellets or 10 000 Buckshot pellets?

• 15 00 Buckshot

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 10 000 Buckshot

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
15 pellet 00 buck but personally I prefer 18 pellet 3.5" magnum buckshot for home defense in my Benellli Nova tactical.

For HD, inside a home, in order of preference.

*Handgun: Realistically this is going to be the better option inside a home.
*Carbine: Caliber doesn't matter much, 30 Carbine, 223, any pistol caliber etc.
*Shotgun: 9 pellets of 00 buck.

This load already has 300 WM recoil levels, the larger magnum loads are approaching, or exceed 458 WM recoil levels from a typical weight shotgun and the negatives outweigh the positives.

If 00 buck isn't available, then any standard 2 3/4" load with the biggest shot size available.

41 pellets of #4 buck is in a 3" mag only. Still 27 in a 2.75" shell. It makes no difference if you can't put 'em on target in the dark anyway. That goes for '00' and '000' buck too.

Too bad there is no "neither" option in the poll.
My HD shotgun is loaded with Federal #1 buck flitecontrol. If I were to use something else, it would be standard 9 pellet 00 or #4 buck.

I prefer about 50+ pellets of BB shot. Goes through a fuller choke and stays together better in pattern. I've seen it used on a very large dog, and it died instantly at about 30 yards.

I'd shoot the buckshot that patterns the best in my particular shotgun. For me, that is either eight pellet Hornady 00 Critical Defense or 12 pellet S&B 00 buck.

Nine pellet Federal throws too wide a pattern from my gun, so I don't use it.

Last edited:
The Federal FLITECONTROL wads make no sense for HD work. They keep all the shot together and then what do you get? You get a slug my friends.

Not really because the mass of each pellet, even added together, isn't as great as the slug as a solid projectile

The Federal FLITECONTROL wads make no sense for HD work. They keep all the shot together and then what do you get? You get a slug my friends.

The pellets do stay together in the wad at close range. Until they hit something and spread out in the target.

Not really because the mass of each pellet, even added together, isn't as great as the slug as a solid projectile.

Nine pellets of 00 weigh more than one ounce.

Not really because the mass of each pellet, even added together, isn't as great as the slug as a solid projectile

One pellet of 00 buckshot weighs in at approx. 54 grains. That times 9= 486 grains. That times 8 (for the reduced recoil loads) is still 432 grains.

A 1 oz rifled slug weighs what else, 1 oz which is 437.5 grains.

You should probably check your math next time.

At close range, the performance of a slug, without the attributes of a slug many folks try to get with buckshot...lack of over-penetration. Ballistically, some may actually prefer it. Okay if you don't, but lets not toss out the baby with the bathwater.

Take an equal amount of lead - this isn't hard to understand :rolleyes:
One projectile versus pellets of the same weight - one projectile will hit harder.

Take an equal amount of sand and a brick and get hit with both - which will cause more damage?

I'd say an eight or nine pellet load of 00 buck hits harder than a one ounce slug at the same velocity since it has a lot more surface area.

The slug might be better for defense against large bears as it penetrates more. It would be better for shooting at a deer 75 yards away but for stopping an unarmored human, I'd go buckshot every time.

Take an equal amount of lead - this isn't hard to understand
One projectile versus pellets of the same weight - one projectile will hit harder.

Take an equal amount of sand and a brick and get hit with both - which will cause more damage?
Or, which will kill better...a slug that misses someone's chest, or three or four buckshot that hit the chest with the rest missing the chest? Ask'en for a friend.

I have 15, 9, and 8 projectile 00 buckshot. I prefer the 8 in a reduced recoil load. It claims 1200 fps and patterns well for me. At self-defense distances I am confident 8 pellets will do the job, and it is much more controllable for me.

patterns

How many of you have patterned a buckshot load from your HD gun at the distances that you can expect in your home?
Modern buckshot loads pattern pretty tightly... especially from a tight choke.
If you are expecting spread to help you in the dark..... you should rethink that.
Pete

About the pellets as a unit vs slug thing (and the sand and brick analogy). It might be helpful to remember that "door breacher" loads are powdered lead.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back