110 gr 357 magnum in a 2-2.25 inch snubnose revolver.

If I am ever in a position where I need the advantage of .357 over .38 for self defense I am going to wish I had a lot more than 5 or 6 rounds in the gun. The whole "you need more than the .38" argument can rapidly morph into "you need more than 5" IMO.

When the old statistics were that it took 5 or 6 and many times more hits with 38's to stop an attacker and 1 or 2 magnums to stop an attacker you can see where this quickly plays out.

Do you use speed loaders, do you use proper tactics? You can mitigate lack of capacity if your skill level with the revolver is such that you can make good hits consistently, keep your head up, take cover, use speed loaders.

While working on my daughters house and running to stores I carried my 640 loaded with 125 grain Remington magnums and carried 3 comp 1 speed loaders, and I felt fine.

Ok, lets see. I am also an NRA instructor. If I wanted the same cert I would take a small what 2 hour online course from the NRA? You make it sound like you are a mechanical engineer.

Nanuk,

You just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole. FWIW, I drove 5 hours to spend a half day taking a prerequisite course, and drove another 5 hours on another day to spend a full day taking the reloading instructor course. If it's so darn easy, why don't you do it and give people the benefit of your knowledge?

You gave the velocity of 900 FPS or so, not looking back at all the threads. We are talking about a 2" barrel. Just so we are clear are your velocity figures are from a 2" or a 6" barrel? It is relevant.

Look, I got 940fps out of a 2.5" barrel. Sure, not quite a 2" barrel, but not far off, and nowhere's near a 6" barrel. Reading is fundamental.

Don

Comparing different rounds that are appropriate for self defense few hundred fps, adding or sacrificing 200 fps or increasing/decreasing 20-30 grains is pretty much irrelevant when all of the other random factors are added in. Factors like hitting the target in a dangerous area.

Nanuk made a valid point when he noted, "...What is never considered is making the same hits with a more powerful gun is better."

One tactical disadvantage posed when using wadcutter cartridges in a revolver being carried for self-defense is that reloading with a typical speed loader can be more troublesome (i.e., slower).

I carry a Smith 637 sometimes. It is loaded with 138 gr. DEWC at +P. I am getting chronographed 950 fps. Its a published load. I do not carry extra rounds. I feel pretty comfortable. If I feel the need for more I carry an officers ACP. Same thing, just a full magazine.

I can shoot that little 38 well.
David

Your threshold of blast and recoil is not the same as mine. Shoot what you want. Shoot what you can hit with with confidence.

It seems that too often, people assume that the amount of blast and recoil that a person can tolerate whilst still shooting proficiently is universal, but it isn't. I've known people who could manage a .44 Magnum so well that it put other shooters with 9mm's to shame and I've known other people who could barely manage anything bigger than a .22 Long Rifle. To say that anyone who cannot handle a .357 Magnum simply needs to train more/better is a fallacy because we do not know if that person has an ailment that prevents them from tolerating .357 Mag recoil, if they carry a gun so small as to make the recoil prohibitive, or if perhaps they have small hands and cannot get a firm enough grip to handle a lot of recoil.

However, it is just a large a fallacy to say that because the .38 Special is easier to shoot and has less recoil, that the .357 Magnum is a poor choice for everyone. The old, and probably best, advice is to carry the most powerful gun that you can shoot well and carry in a practical manner. Recoil and power are a balancing act, so much power that recoil is prohibitive is just a bad as so little recoil that power is inadequate.

Now, some will argue that a smaller and/or less powerful caliber like .38 Special or 9mm is the best because they are easier to shoot than a bigger and/or more powerful caliber like .357 Magnum or .40 S&W. They will argue that placement and penetration trumps everything else so the larger calibers offer no substantial benefit. I would counter this by pointing out that even smaller, less powerful calibers can penetrate adequately with the right bullet and be easier to shoot as well. I'm pretty sure that you could hand almost anyone and full-size handgun in .22 Long Rifle and they would be able to shoot it faster and more accurately than a comparable gun in any larger caliber. If we want to stick with a centerfire cartridge, something like the S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ should have less recoil than a 9mm and a revolver shooting .32 S&W Long is quite easy to handle.

We don't, however, usually recommend small caliber like .22 LR, .380 Auto, or .32 S&W Long to non-recoil sensitive shooters because their light recoil is outweighed by the ballistic advantage of a 9mm or .38 Special. While most anyone can shoot a small caliber better, most can't shoot it so much better to be worth the decrease in terminal performance that they offer.

So, as I see it, a person who is proficient with a large and/or powerful cartridge like .357 Magnum or 10mm Auto isn't really well served by going to a less powerful caliber that they shoot only slightly better. Of course, proficient, adequate, and slightly are all subjective, so I would put it this way: carry the most powerful cartridge that can be had in a gun practical for you to carry and that you feel confident in your ability to shoot well.

aguila_blanca said:
This could be a useful discussion if participants would confine their comments to facts, and not engage in confrontational personal remarks.

Preach it, Brother!

David_R said:
Your threshold of blast and recoil is not the same as mine. Shoot what you want. Shoot what you can hit with with confidence.

This, with bells on it.

Webleymkv said:

All that, too.

How many rounds of full-house .357 magnums do you guys shoot in practice each year? Just asking for perspective

In my younger days, I would shoot prolly 6,000 per year.

To top that off, I would shoot approximately 8,000 per year in 44 Mag.

I enjoyed handgun silhouette quite a bit.

I have slacked off in the last few years.

It seems that too often, people assume that the amount of blast and recoil that a person can tolerate whilst still shooting proficiently is universal, but it isn't.

I do not disagree. My disagreement comes from statements claiming that lower powered rounds are either more effective or equivalent.

How many rounds of full-house .357 magnums do you guys shoot in practice each year? Just asking for perspective

I used to shoot probably 10,000 a year mixed between 357 and 44 magnum. Now maybe 1200 per year, shooting other stuff more. The proficiency is there, I just need to maintain it.

Back