11 Reasons My Charter Arms is Better Than Your Smith & Wesson

Judging from the one Charter revolver I unfortunately bought my wife, the guns are total junk and the repair department is trotally incompetent. Never again.

JustJake said:
Isn't Charter Arms the RIA of the revolver industry?
No.

Apparently you don't like Rock Island Armory firearms, but there are thousands (probably millions) of RIA owners who are extremely happy with their firearms. The RIAs aren't the prettiest 1911s in the universe but, as a general rule, they shoot well. Like virtually every manufacturer today, Armscor (Rock Island) machines their slides and frames on modern CNC machines and they use ordnance grade steel, so there's really not much there to criticize.

Although you chose to use RIA as a comparison to denigrate Charter Arms revolvers, I'll bet you didn't even know that RIA makes revolvers, and their revolvers (like their 1911s) are widely regarded as exceptional value for dollar firearms. I own an M200 and an M206. They both function flawlessly and hit where I'm shooting. That's all I ask.

Armscor (RIA) has been under the same ownership (family) since shortly after World War 2. Charter Arms, on the other hand, has been through multiple ownerships, with changes in quality from one owner to the next. In discussing the quality of Charter Arms revolvers, it's much like Auto-Ordnance 1911s -- you have to know when it was made and under which ownership to get an idea what the quality is (or isn't).

In discussing the quality of Charter Arms revolvers, it's much like Auto-Ordnance 1911s -- you have to know when it was made and under which ownership to get an idea what the quality is (or isn't).
:rolleyes:

When buying a roscoe, I only want to know it was built right and runs tight otta da box.

Don't care whether it was made by a predecessor or successor company, or descendants of the original family, or even a tribe of itinerant gypsies, ... nor when.

I'm not a collector; I'm a shooter.

RIA 1911s are clearly hit or miss by rep, as are apparently the current crop of C.A. wheelguns, judging by the online chatter.

I'm actually open to buying an inexpensive revolver in.38 Spec.Ed., provided it's not junk.

I expressed a desire in having a Henry, someday. I offered to have let him shoot mine. He took my offer and let me shoot his.

Afterwards, he says, " dang it, now I will be looking for some Browning's. "
I laughed. I ended up getting a Henry .45C.

Brownings are nice guns but that short throw lever irks me. I'd never trade my Henry Golden Boy for one.

I just read here that the GP-100 transfer bars can break. First to me (not saying that never happened). If you want guaranteed breakage of transfer bars, go with Taurus.

Mike Irwin is right in that S&W never had a transfer bar. Instead they have a hammer block safety (and the rebound slide is another built in safety feature).

Driftwood Johnson - great photos!

I just read here that the GP-100 transfer bars can break. First to me (not saying that never happened). If you want guaranteed breakage of transfer bars, go with Taurus.

You mean Charter Arms, right?

My experience is, multiple Taurus revolvers, never a problem with the transfer bar. Multiple Charters, each has broken the transfer bar at least once.

I had a RIA Officer Model. It never ran right despite chaining out every spring and part I could. Sold it and bought a P220 Compact. It's 45 Auto perfection in an Officer size.

Next on my list is a Charter Arms Pitbull in 45.

I’ve got 56 S&Ws. I wouldn’t trade the grips off one for a Charter Arms. CA is strictly second rate products. That’s not a fair statement the Target grips off my old model S&Ws are worth more than a Charter Arms.

When I saw the title, I had hopes it would be something humorous and amuzing, like "10 reasons beer is better than women" or something like that, but it turned out to have a rather adversarial tone, so here we are.

I don't find any Charter arms product better than my favorite S&Ws and no one's list of imagined advantages is going to change that.

Enjoy what you love, I'll do the same.
But don't crap on my love because it isn't your love.
That's just rude.

44 AMP:
When I saw the title, I had hopes it would be something humorous and amuzing, like "10 reasons beer is better than women" or something like that, but it turned out to have a rather adversarial tone, so here we are.

I don't find any Charter arms product better than my favorite S&Ws and no one's list of imagined advantages is going to change that.

Enjoy what you love, I'll do the same.
But don't crap on my love because it isn't your love.
That's just rude.

That is one reason I wish this forum had a like button. During the early and mid 90s, owning a gun shop, we sold quite a few Taurus, Charter Arms and other mid priced guns like Rossi in all flavors. My own observation was even more popular names like S&W, Colt and others will every now and then turn out a bad gun and some lower priced gun makers turn out a good gun.

My own opinions are just that, my own opinions. When a discussion evolves into my gun is better than your gunit becomes childish and foolish.

Ron

I own some Charter Arms revolvers. They are okay. They go bang every time or get fixed. One that functions properly is acceptable for carry or HD use and occasional light practice.

They are not nearly as good as my nice Smiths, but the ones I have are adequate firearms.

I will be carrying one later today.

Original Poster, WHICH Charter? Charter Arms, CharCo or Charter 200? I would be happy with an ORIGINAL Charter Arms, ( like someone already said, my first "Roscoe" was an Off Duty snub 38Spl, back about 1984, IIRC. Good solid little revolver), absolutely, but CharCo or Charter 2000 I wouldn't walk across the street for.

I’ve always been interested in a CA, but every time I pick one up and look it over and dry fire it I put it down and walk away. They just seem so cheap, which of course they are.

RIA 1911s are clearly hit or miss by rep, as are apparently the current crop of C.A. wheelguns, judging by the online chatter.

A.K.A., anecdotes. How reliable are online anecdotes? They are not objective data, just a guy at the end of the bar blowing wind.

A.K.A., anecdotes. How reliable are online anecdotes? They are not objective data, just a guy at the end of the bar blowing wind.
You mean like the guy's "anecdotes" in Post #64? :rolleyes:

Back