10mm vs .40 rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkCo is a member who is the pioneer of the shotgun portion of 3gun which basically created a new need for semi auto shotgun systems with expanding mag sizes. Different person, but take the compliment of the confused identity. Unless you think the targets in for shotgun in 3gun is a bit weird considering the intent of shotguns :)

Both the HST and Gold Dot factory loads are 200gr. Again though, they are at exactly the 40 factory FPS level. So is theat 20gr difference important? Probs not.

Last edited:
"9mm ammo is the most common.
40, 45, 38/357 tier 2 (readily available during normalcy).
10mm tier 3 - not so readily available."(Marco Californ)

Last fall, none of the ammo you mentioned was available that I could see, aside from 10mm and I was able to easily purchase appx 700 rounds (of 10mm target & self defense), from various online sources at very reasonable prices. This was last fall... prices have increased.

These are not normal times and sadly there is no guarantee normalcy will return anytime soon.

*I am now in 2021 seeing 9mm , .357, .223 for sale sporadically... but the prices are not cheap.

Last edited:
I just checked all 3 calibers. Ammo is available for 9, 40 and 10. All are about 80 cents a round for target ammo and $1.50 to $2 a shot for good hollow points.

Alan, if you get a Glock 23 all you need is a 9mm conversion barrel and a 9mm magazine. Glock uses the same recoil spring for both calibers!

I just checked all 3 calibers. Ammo is available for 9, 40 and 10. All are about 80 cents a round for target ammo and $1.50 to $2 a shot for good hollow points.

Alan, if you get a Glock 23 all you need is a 9mm conversion barrel and a 9mm magazine. Glock uses the same recoil spring for both calibers!

Thank you.

You want the 10mm.

If for some reason you decide against the 10mm go to 9mm. In today’s world 40 S&W doesn’t get you much.

Who is MarkCo?
I put a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel in a G23.
It cycled every time, there was not much difference in recoil.
Nothing I have read about Glocks, barrels, and conversions, has said "recoil spring" at all. It does not ever come up.
Yeah, most of what I hear with Glock 40 to 9 conversions is the magazine is the most important and the next most important would be the ejector and extractor, but so long as the gun is clean and you're not using steel case (because it's harder to extract), the .40 extractor should be fine w/ 9mm (I've never had an issue) and the ejector ejects the case, albeit weakly.

I wonder if a 9mm ejector would work for .40? If it can then you could keep the the 9mm ejector in the frame and just swap the extractors if you shoot steel case.

MarkCo is a member who is the pioneer of the shotgun portion of 3gun which basically created a new need for semi auto shotgun systems with expanding mag sizes. Different person, but take the compliment of the confused identity. Unless you think the targets in for shotgun in 3gun is a bit weird considering the intent of shotguns :)

Both the HST and Gold Dot factory loads are 200gr. Again though, they are at exactly the 40 factory FPS level. So is theat 20gr difference important? Probs not.
Those who load their own 10mm beg to disagree. With a max charge of Longshot powder a 200gr bullet will do 1170 fps from a 5" barrel according to Hodgdon. From a 6" barrel that's probably 1200 fps.

And is that 200gr 10mm bullet going on to do more than the 40?

Probably not.

Cause if you just assume it does, you might be surprised the slow 147gr HST 9mm outperformed the heavier faster 40 in steel and windshield according to Vista Outdoor data.

Probably not.

Cause if you just assume it does, you might be surprised the slow 147gr HST 9mm outperformed the heavier faster 40 in steel and windshield according to Vista Outdoor data.
Better expansion and deeper penetration. One aspect about .40 that I don't like is it seems a lot of the defense ammo penetrates 12-13 inches, which is fine for self defense, but throw in barriers and I don't like it as much as I do 10mm, which rarely goes less than 14 inches in gel with a bullet that weighs less than 175 grains.

Probably not.

The 10mm has more potential.

Effective in jello tests does not necessarily equal effective on the street.

Vista tests in jello, steel plate, drywall, and auto glass.

HST/Gold Dot 9mm in slower 147gr beat 40 and 357 in some of those.

So no, it's not just FPS.

So no, it's not just FPS.

Of course not. Bullet construction, weight, velocity, diameter all play a role. Velocity=energy=ability to do work.

It is more complicated than x penetration X y diameter.

Glock 23 is looking sweeter and sweeter. I don't need the maximum velocity or power as long as .40 is more powerful than 9mm. I am a little scared that a lot of 10mm and .40 guns started out from 9mm, they have to thin out everything to keep the gun in the same dimension. Read enough Kaboom with 10mm already. If I don't have 2 9mm, I would consider 9mm already. I don't need anything stronger than a 357 magnum.

Glock 23 is looking sweeter and sweeter. I don't need the maximum velocity or power as long as .40 is more powerful than 9mm. I am a little scared that a lot of 10mm and .40 guns started out from 9mm, they have to thin out everything to keep the gun in the same dimension.

The Kabooms from 25 years ago cannot be compared with today's guns. The 10mm's are generally built on 45 frames, I am not sure I have ever seen one on a small frame.

I just looked at the Glock site, all .40 has same slide width as the 9mm. They must be modified from 9mm.

The 10mm has the same slide width as the 45ACP. That's better.

That's what I was saying that the .40 must have less margin than 9mm. You can find more youtube on .40 and 10mm having kaboom than 9mm for glock.

I am a little scared that a lot of 10mm and .40 guns started out from 9mm...
As Nanuk says, while the .40 was specifically made to fit into 9mm sized guns, the 10mm is something else entirely.

The cartridge is much longer than 9mm, so a simple conversion from 9mm to 10mm isn't at all likely unless the 9mm pistol is much larger than it needs to be.

As far as the Glocks go, the model numbers tell you the order that they were designed.

The Glock 20 (the first 10mm Glock) was in design before the Glock 21 (the first .45ACP Glock). So it would actually be more accurate to say that the Glock 21 slide is the same dimensions as the Glock 20, not the other way around.

The first .40S&W Glock was the Glock 22. It hit the market before the 20, but the 20 design was started before the 22 design. In fact, the Glock 20 design process likely started before the .40S&W cartridge even existed. At any rate, worries that the 10mm Glocks are based on .40S&W designs, or on pistols of similar scale to 9mm, are unfounded.

The Glock 20 is much larger and heavier than any of the 9mm Glocks and is known for being very durable. In fact, it was the Glock 20's reputation for durability and my desire to get a 10mm pistol that drove me to buy my first Glock. I didn't care for the feel or look of the gun, but I did like the idea of something that could stand up to a lot of shooting with hot 10mm ammo, and at the time that meant buying a Glock 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back