10mm vs .40 rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanch.... The 10MM is losing market share.
Not around here. And I'm pretty sure not anywhere else in the US either. The number of 10mm pistols I transfer is up ten fold from 2009.

Where did you get this idea?:rolleyes:

Marco Califo said:
Longshot powder seems to be optimized for 40 S&W and 10mm. The difference between the two with 180 grain bullets is between 100 and 200 fps. The 40 S&W has proven itself and gained most LEO market share.
Regarding Glocks, I have a G23 that is an excellent service pistol. I bought a G30 compact 45 ACP. The G29 10mm barrel from Glock will fit the G30 (Glock does not recommend this as fitment is not 100%), and people do that conversion. I bought the 10mm barrell and set of 10mm magazines. Have not shot them yet. The G23 is smaller and less thick to hold. I think the G23 is a better service sidearm, and can be concealed nearly as easily as my G26 with Pierce magazine extension.

You're right about Longshot being nearly perfect for both .40 and 10mm, I've used it quite a bit each. For what it's worth, I've ran warmer .40 and 10mm handloads through both the G23 and G29 and in all honesty there's maybe a 75fps difference between them, got around 1225 in a G23 and nearly 1300 fps (180gr ea.). The 10mm is cool no doubt but it's not really way better than the .40, and depending on how one defines "better", maybe it's worse.

1) Which is more popular?
.40 S&W

2) Which is more expensive?
10mm Auto

3) Which one is easier to buy during this time?
Depends on where you live and what's trendy there.

4) I know everyone has different opinion, which guns is the best in these two calibers? I live in Kalifornia.
Depends on what role you have in mind. For general purposes, .40 S&W is better. For special purposes, such as wilderness defense, 10mm Auto has the edge.

As my username suggests, I'm a fan of .40 S&W. In my honest opinion, 10mm Auto is overrated. It's expensive, most factory loaded ammo is loaded to FBI Specs, (meaning it's literally just .40 S&W in a longer case) it's "awesome power" is only marginally higher than .357 Magnum, (the only .41 Magnum loads it approaches are the watered down loads in Remington's reloading manual) and for a cartridge which is supposedly making a comeback, nobody is making any new firearms chambered specifically for it, leaving you with an amount of options which can literally be counted on both hands.
So ultimately, it's a special purpose cartridge with a cult following of diehard fans.

As near as I can figure, reports of its comeback have been greatly exaggerated, and in my honest opinion were nothing more than a poorly executed attempt at viral marketing by diehard fans within the industry of firearms journalism who attempted to use the declining popularity of .40 S&W as a springboard to promote the 10mm Auto which wasn't really successful at all. Fans will angrily disagree, but the fact of the matter is that nobody is actually making any new firearms designed specifically for the cartridge, just half-hearted rechamberings of .45 ACP pistols which have been around for many years.

If you like 10mm Auto and want a 10mm Pistol, then by all means scratch that itch by getting one, but don't buy into all the hype and rush out to buy a 10mm Auto based on unsubstantiated reports of a comeback which has supposedly been happening since 2016 yet hasn't really gone anywhere unless you count a handful of companies offering a 1911 chambered in 10mm, Glock making a new variation of the Glock 20, or Springfield Armory rechambering the XD45 for 10mm.

"That is with G17s, at a max of 15yds...."(Shadow9mm)

15 yard qualification? Most LEO's qualify at 20 to 25 yards. Max range is 20 to 25 anyhow. Many of the shots are closer, 3, 7 or 15 yards, but extend out to 25. At 15 yards, a slingshot would work. :D

Shurshot,

It is 100% absolute fact.

If you doubt me, call the FBI Firearms Training Unit at Quantico tomorrow. Get it straight from the horse's mouth. The FBI Firearms Training Unit did the scientific research. Its finding were published in the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin.

The 10MM was an answer to a question never asked. It's a .40S&W with no ballistic advantage and short of the .45 ACP's efficacy.

"That is with G17s, at a max of 15yds...."(Shadow9mm)

15 yard qualification? Most LEO's qualify at 20 to 25 yards. Max range is 20 to 25 anyhow. Many of the shots are closer, 3, 7 or 15 yards, but extend out to 25. At 15 yards, a slingshot would work. :D

We used to qualify out to 25yds for the past 12yrs or so, as of last year they changed the course on us. If I remember correctly this is what it was.
Course of fire, 40rnds total
10rnds 3yds, 5rnds strong, 5rnds weak
10rnds, 5yds, 2 hand shooting
10rnds 7, 5 rounds standing, 5 rounds kneeling
10rnds 15, 2 hand shooting

The targets are bigger than IPSIC. but basically we had to keep everything within the c-zone. we could have 2 rounds in the d zone. Missing the silhouette was an automatic DQ. You had 4 chanced total, and had to pass 2 of them.

"The 10MM was an answer to a question never asked. It's a .40S&W with no ballistic advantage and short of the .45 ACP's efficacy."

If you say so Sanch! :rolleyes:

I guess it comes down to the specific ammunition used. Of course watered down 10mm is similar to a .40. But why buy a 10mm and carry watered down target ammunition??? Would you buy a .357 for defense and carry target 158 RN .38 Specials in it??

I have some Underwood 10mm that is very hot, pretty sure it's quite a jump over a .40 SW, but I haven't run it through a chronograph or shot ballistic gelatin with it. Pretty sure from its recoil it has a significant "ballistic advantage" over the .40. ;)

Last edited:
Would you buy a .357 for defense and carry target 158 RN .38 Specials in it??

Cops have done that, too.
Some departments allowed .357 reloads, but the gun had to be carried with Specials in the cylinder.

I'd say "no ballistic advantage" for the 10mm is a bit of an exaggeration, when full-power 10mm retains as much velocity at 75 yards as .40 has at the muzzle.
You can argue that there's no need for a service pistol to hit hard at 75 yards, and Cooper eventually admitted as much, but that's not the same as "no advantage".

Well...there is "no" advantage if the bullet being fired doesn't need that extra FPS.

And again, almost all commercial 10mm is loaded at it's partner .40 levels with perhaps at best a difference of 20grs in weight.

Most .40" bullets are intended for .40 S&W velocities, so if driven at 10mm velocities, they'll be effective at long range, where .40 will have dropped out of the velocity window for maximum effectiveness.
I don't know that there are many .40" bullets on the market intended for 10mm velocities, other than the 135 grain from Nosler?

I just found out Glock 23 and Glock 27 are the .40S&W version of Glock 19 and Glock 26 resp. That's interesting. To change from .40 to 9mm, I only need to buy the 9mm barrel. That's convenient. I might be interested in Glock 23 because I always want a Glock 19. I have the Glock 26, no point getting a 27.

I just found out Glock 23 and Glock 27 are the .40S&W version of Glock 19 and Glock 26 resp. That's interesting. To change from .40 to 9mm, I only need to buy the 9mm barrel. That's convenient. I might be interested in Glock 23 because I always want a Glock 19. I have the Glock 26, no point getting a 27.
Sort of, you cant just swap barrels. You have 2 options.
One is an after market conversion barrel intended to change the 40 to the 9mm.
Option 2, is to drop in the factory barrel and replace the rear trigger housing with the ejector in it. If I remember right the 9mm ejector tilts in, the 40 is straight, and the 45 bends out.

you will also have to buy new mags....

Most .40" bullets are intended for .40 S&W velocities, so if driven at 10mm velocities, they'll be effective at long range, where .40 will have dropped out of the velocity window for maximum effectiveness.
I don't know that there are many .40" bullets on the market intended for 10mm velocities, other than the 135 grain from Nosler?
200gr XTP are built for 10mm velocities.

Glocks Caliber Changes

It is just a barrel swap. No other parts, except magazine. You can go back and forth on the same class, larger caliber to smaller. You cannot go up from 9mm to 40; you need to start with the bigger caliber pistol. You can not convert a 9mm to 40, unless you replace the slide.
Classes: 9mm and 40 S&W and 357 Sig, and 45 and 10mm. I read of some people changing extractors. I have had no need (yet).

Last edited:
MarkCo, that's not True!

In a 1911, 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm and 38 Super can be s swapped with a barrel and recoil spring change. The case heads are close enough that you may just need some extractor tuning. The basic cut in the slide is close enough for government work. 9mm/40 glocks can be converted with a barrel swap.

MarkCo, that's not True!

In a 1911, 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm and 38 Super can be s swapped with a barrel and recoil spring change. The case heads are close enough that you may just need some extractor tuning. The basic cut in the slide is close enough for government work. 9mm/40 glocks can be converted with a barrel swap.

I think he was responding to me in converting Glock 23 to 19 or 27 to 26.

I am still surprise though I don't have to change the recoil spring as there's a big difference in power between the two.

Recoil Springs

Who is MarkCo?
I am still surpriseD though I don't have to change the recoil spring as there's a big difference in power between the two.
I put a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel in a G23.
It cycled every time, there was not much difference in recoil.
Nothing I have read about Glocks, barrels, and conversions, has said "recoil spring" at all. It does not ever come up.

Last edited:
Who is MarkCo?
I put a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel in a G23.
It cycled every time, there was not much difference in recoil.
Nothing I have read about Glocks, barrels, and conversions, has said "recoil spring" at all. It does not ever come up.

Music to my ears. I still have 15 days to chew on before I have to decide. OR, I might just keep it as .40!!! I have two 9mm, it's not as if I am dying for one.

Is .40 ammo harder to get than 9mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back