10mm or 45 acp glock?

Depends on the load. Full power 10mm loads are substantially more powerful than any .45 ACP out there, to include +P, and will recoil accordingly. Cheapo practice ammo and subsonic "FBI Lite" loads on the other hand are a joke to shoot out of any Glock.

I was talking about full power loads, i.e., Win Silvertips, etc. Cor-Bons, CP Cartridge. These all are full power loads and I don't think they kick. Neither did my wife.

I was thinking the same, G21C (.45) or G20C (10mm)? But now I am also considering the G31C (.357SIG). Decisions, decisions...maybe one gun from the wife, one from the kids and one from myself as XMAS gifts. Is there a real Santa out there? :D

While its true you can get more power out of a 10mm, one can easily have the .45 converted to .45 Super and all advantage is lost.

The other BIG advantage is ammo. .45 ACP ammo is more plentiful, cheaper and more accurate than 10mm.

If 10mm is the prefered bore size and woods use is desired, then the .45 can be rebarreled to .40 Super. This launches a 135 gr HP at 1800 freaking feet per second.

Mind you, this is expensive ammo and dies for reloading aren't cheap but if hunting deer is desired, this is the only way to go. The 10mm is hard pressed to meet minimums in most states (500 ft*lbs @100 yards) but the .40 Super does.

The only advantage to the 10 is magazine capacity. Write your US Congress with regards to this as we have a chance in 2004 of the AWB sunsetting. Its NOT a Constiutional Amendment (duh, no ratifying) and as such, has a ten year life. Good riddance to this Klinton Krap.

The 10mm is more accurate than the .45, recoil is the same, ammo in all flavors is readily available, pre-ban mags hold 2 more rounds, veloicity and energy are far superior, and lastly, with the 10mm, you have no need to resort to aftermarket barrels and wildcat cartridges. The choice is so clear there shouldn't even be a question.

little clarification

The 10mm offers greater power and capacity BUT lacks versitility of a .45 ACP converted to .45 Super. You can still fire .45 ACP in your converted gun and the brass is externally identical to ACP so standard reloading equipment is all that is necessary.

http://www.acecustom45.com/gunsmith.htm

In doing this conversion, one gets the power of a 10 and can use cheaper ACP ammo. If you get a 10mm, you are stuck with it and can only vary the power with reloading, an expensive proposition itself.

JFWIW, I have loaded for my .45 (pre-conversion) using an imported power that provided the ballistics of 10mm at SAAMI pressure levels. Muzzle flash was incredible with 11+ grains of this mystery powder.(specifics deleted to inhibit the Darwin effects)

I have never seen any data for 10mm that even come close to the original Norma developed round. Matter of fact, the most popular loadings have power levels that are similar to +P .45.

Update:

Here's a budget conversion. Note, it is a Kimber 1911 variant.
http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm

another update:
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar41.htm

[Edited by Keith J on 12-22-2000 at 02:54 PM]

double hmmmmm...

Direct from Cor Bon.

380Auto/90gr JHP 1050fps 70%
9mm+P/115gr JHP 1350fps 91%
38Spl+P+/110gr JHP 1250fps 83%
40S&W/135gr JHP 1300fps 96%
10mm/150gr JHP 1300fps 90%
45ACP+P/185gr JHP 1150fps 92%

1996 By Evan Marshall & Ed Sanow

These are actual one-shot stops made by LEO's. Notice the .40 is above both 10mm and 45ACP in percentage. The statistics is questionable on the 10 due to the probable low LEO usuage.

The argument for muzzle energy is invalid. Dr. Martin Fackler has more to say than what I care to post but in rough terms, energy does not correlate to "stopping power". To stop a creature, damage must either be done directly to the CNS or sufficient trauma to assure blood loss and collapse of the CNS. BTW, the difference between the 10 and 45 above is 20 ft*lbf of energy.

UPDATE:

Again, direct from Cor Bon:
10mm 165gr JHP 1250 fps / 573 ft/lbs 15.38 36.91
45ACP +P 165gr JHP 1250 fps / 573 ft/lbs 15.38 36.91

I rest my case. The larger area of the .45 allows the same energy to be developed in identical bullet weights at the +P levels in the .45. I believe this is set at 23,000 PSI for the .45 +P and 28,000 PSI for 10mm by SAAMI.

A) I was quoting actual chrono velocities from actual guns, not "bullet speed measured at the cartridge box flap".

B) That may be the first time I've seen someone treat both M&S and Fackler & Co. as gospel in the same post. ;)

My mind's made up, so is yours, Merry Christmas!

Evan Marshall & Ed Sanow

vs. Dr. Fackler. There is sufficient controversey regarding these two to warrant a little explaination. Dr. Fackler is a scientist who uses data and experimentation to determine wound pathology. Marshall and Sanow are LEO statisticians who use data from the real world.

If you want to know what works for LEO's, consult Marshall and Sanow. Keep in mind, they have no data for a 38-40 and very limited data for a 41 mag, both of which are ballistically similar to a 10mm.

If you want to know why it works, consult Dr. Fackler.

IMHO, wound ballistics is sketchy stuff and comparisons between cartridges that are close in performance, say 10mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP, are within the realm of statistical noise. Comparison of these three against a .22 LR is a no-brainer.

Slightly OT but ...

Along with Marshal & Sanow and Dr. Fackler, another work you might be interested in is, "On Killing : The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by Dave Grossman.

From Amazon.com's review, quote "Individually, a killer goes through thrill-remorse-rationalization stages; socially, the killer needs reassurance and if it is not received, will suffer post-traumatic stress syndrome ... Grossman concludes his findings of "enabling factors" in killing by identifying them at work in the rampant violence afflicting American society." unquote

Whether or not Fackler or M&S are correct in their particular fields is actually rather academic. The real questionmark regards who is holding the gun rather than it's caliber and load. RD

[Edited by riverdog on 12-22-2000 at 11:10 PM]

If you are considering a G20 or G21, then don't use reloads or you can get KABOOM. Price of ammo is an issue and you should stay away from reloads with a glock.

Big Bullets are good.
Fast Bullets are good.
Deep penetration is good.

Big, Fast, Deep Penetrating Bullets are best.

What is Big, Fast, and Penetrates Deep? (keep your answers G-rated please)

Answer: 45 ACP +P and 10 mm auto.

Fackler says he cant tell the difference between the wounds caused by a 9mm v. 45ACP. Maybe thats because Facklers patients are all DEAD. They all got shot in vital areas or they would still be alive. All he proves is that a 9mm shot to a vital area is as effective as a 45 ACP to the same area, and I would agree with that.

Marshall and Sanow's data (and we can only assume they have data because they ain't never showed it to nobody cept each other) is too subjective to put too much faith in either.

I dont think this rant had much to do with the original question, but its not the first time I have gone off on a tangent.

Just a note for those thinking about a C version: THIS IS NOT THE GUN YOU WANT TO SHOOT W/O HEARING PROTECTION IN A SELF DEFENSE SCENARIO.

Kills at one end and maims at the other.

Bullfrog99,

Where ya at, all kinds of input here for you. Any closer to a decision yet?? I would presume that you have never shot or owned a 10mm. Otherwise I doubt you would be asking this question. I have owned and shot both the 10mm and .45ACP in many guns and variation of guns. I personally choose the full power 10mm as the caliber of preference for me. It is an excellent SD round and is very versatile in the hands of a reloader as well!! I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the .45ACP or the G21. Just that my first choice is the 10mm.

So chock up a vote for the G20 from me!! :D

I keep seeing references to the accuracy between the 10mm and .45ACP. Accuracy of a particular gun or caliber is most reliant on the actual physical fitting and tolerances of said gun and finding a particular load it likes. And of coarse, the ability of the shooter to do his part.

On a good day, I can shoot, off hand standing at 25 yards, 1.5" groups with my Delta Elite Comp Gun. About the best I have ever done off hand at 25 yards with my G20 is about 4". Now while 1.5" is excellent and what I expect from a tuned and matched comp gun, it is not what I expect from a SD gun. Most SD guns are fitted a bit looser (reliable functioning in all conditions) and are not running match barrels. So 4" is quite good as well when talking a stock SD gun!! Now I have had .45ACP's that will do the same in both instances. Is one more accurate than the other. That depends on the gun itself, the ammo being put in it and the shooter behind the trigger!

I see some bashing around above of the M&S OSS publications. I personally put a fair amount of weight in what they have published. It is a very good documentation of how a particular round has faired in past shooting. However, This is only a tool I use to measure how effective they Have Been in the past. This tool should only be used to help one make a decision, not the sole reason for making that said decision.

No matter what you shoot, Shot Placement Is MOST Important!!! I don't care if you are shooting a .50BMG, if you only hit the perp in the arm, that perp can still continue his aggressions and shoot you with his other hand. So no matter what you shoot you Must practice to be accurate and efficient with what you choose to shoot. A well placed bullet from a .380 is far better than a poorly placed shot from ANYTHING Else!!

About the copy and pastes above from Cor-Bon's site:
If you have been familiar with the 10mm ammo from Cor-bon for some time you should know that they have recently deleted their most effective round in 10mm Auto, most effective according to the M&S OSS publications. Cor-Bon use to load the 10mm 135gr to 1450fps. This was rated as a 97% OSS by M&S. If you now look you will notice that it is no longer offered by Cor-Bon. They have reduced this to 1400fps.

Note: These are published velocities. Chronographing will show variations. I use these published velocities as that is what most of the general shooting public has access, therefore, that is what they use for comparisons.

Cor-Bon has done this to make their own New .400 Cor-Bon round look better and look more powerful than the 10mm, as the .400CB is now the 10mm/.40 bullet loaded to 1450fps. This actually put Cor-Bon on my $hit list!!! Yes I still think most of their ammo is good. I just do not see the justification in customer satisfaction by reducing one of their very effective offerings just to make their re-invention of the wheel look good!! Yes, IMHO, the .400 Cor-Bon is a re-invention of the, 10mm which has been around since 1984, just a bit shorter and fatter!! Cor-Bon has two 165gr offerings, one in 10mm and one in .45ACP that are loaded to exactly the same published velocities. So why not the 135gr 10mm and .400 Cor-Bon?? Because they do not want the competition against their own production!!

If you want some kind of "track record" on how a particular round has faired in the past in Real Life Shootings, the M&S OSS publication is a good place to look. If you want a "Theory" on why it might have worked that way then Dr. Fackler is the reading you want to do. If you want to find out for yourself first hand, you are going to have to go out and shoot some People yourself. Since that is not an option for me not to mention illegal, I will read all I can, do my own theoretical testing, then draw my own conclusions what is best for Me!!

For me the 10mm wins hands down. Be it for Self-Defense, woods protection, carryability and concealment, handloading, small game close range hunting and yes even competition!!

------------------
Keep It In The 10 Ring,
Michael
smokin.gif

elk1.gif
rocketq3.gif

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."

i am still undecided as to which one to get, but there is lots of info you guys posted, thanks for that. some day maybe i'll figure it out.

Hey bullfrog99,

Here is the easy way. Buy Both!!!!! :D

elk1.gif
rocketq3.gif

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."

Back