10,000rds Without a Malfunction (WWG/Colt AR)

I have no idea. I only lube it and wipe some of the carbon off the guts every 600 rounds or so. Others have already established that ARs don't run as well without lube, and it's no big deal to dribble some in there every so often.

My kalashnikovs and M14 need lube to function properly as well. This isn't a trait unique to ARs, unfortunately. :)

I carried a 16A1 from '76 to '83 for Uncle Sugar, from the Arctic Circle to the Mojave Desert. I did pay attention in basic to the DS's about proper care and regular maintenance, but it is impossible, even in peace time, to maintain that type of regimine that the 'experts' say you have to have for a 16 to work right. But, I still personally never had a malfunction with any of the issued rifles I used during my time in service. A few problems with aged magazines did show up, but that is not the rifles fault.

I had the opp to buy a Colt A2 pattern AR in '94 and jumped on it. 20", 1:9, HBAR Match, and have fired it every time Ive gone to the range or gravel pit to shoot, and out on the prairie to reduce the danger of prairie dog over-population and general varmit removal. I have no clue how many rounds I have put down the tube, and don't really want to think about the cost of those rounds. I have had zero, nada, zilch, nyet (for the AK boys), nein, and nix malfunctions with this rifle. One magazine i got at a surplus store went to the recyclers for giving me trouble though.

First Stoppage

I am sorry to report the first stoppage. I was using a steel israeli magazine that is very tight in the magwell. I did not seat it fully, causing the bolt to ride forward without picking up a round, and resulted in a click rather than a bang when the trigger was pulled. User error, but a stoppage none the less. It happened in the neighborhood of round 14,600.

An honest question, not a flame:

Would the M16/AR15 perform as well in a dirty, muddy environment? Many people who argue the AK's reliability aren't talking about bench conditions, but mud and sand and water. I'd like to see that test as well, with maybe a VZ 58 thrown in since its generous bolt operation would theoretically make debris less of a problem.

Since that last singular, and humbling, moose-related stoppage at 14,600ish rounds, the mongrel A4 has continued to be a bronze effigy, resplendent, of the reliability of American machinery. Certainly close to 20,000rds now, although my recordkeeping has suffered. I suspect accuracy has declined modestly, although my control of a 10rd group of Black Hills red box 75gr .223 has not yet confirmed that. I wish it was cheaper.

Back