10,000rds Without a Malfunction (WWG/Colt AR)

B. Lahey

Last weekend I had an extremely excessive rangeday with my AR, and that put it over the 10k mark, malf-free. It's a Wild West Guns / Colt A4gery- 6920 coverted to A4 configuration with a bunch of Colt parts and a Sabre Defense 20" 1in7" .gov-profile barrel, put together and tested two years ago by Kenny's AR-monkeyboy (who also test-fired my malfunctioning Hakim for me; a brave fellow).

None of my kalashnikovs have ever come close to this sort of reliabilty, although they are generally hamstrung by poor quality steel-cased ammunition. I am glad to say that the WWG/Colt has never been besmirched by funky steel ammo, although it has eaten a vast variety of brass, whatever happened to be on sale at the time or seemed interesting. Everything from forty-something grain Remington varmint ammo (didn't shoot worth a darn, probably overspun by the 1in7", but at least it didn't explode in flight) to the finest Black Hills, Lapua, etc... (shoots worth several darns)

It was rarely cleaned; frequently going 600rds+ between even basic wipedowns of the guts. No magic lubes or fancified components, just CLP and Colt bits.

I am very happy with my rifle, and Colt, Ken, and WWG have my great appreciation for the magnificently reliable boomstick!

ColtA4-3.jpg

You are dreaming. Wake up. ARs cannot fire more than 5 rounds without cleaning or they will jam and make your toenails get ingrown. If you feed your AR anything other than USGI ammo, it will become a solid block of carbon within 15 minutes. If a speck of lint lands on your AR, it will become permanently disabled, and qualify for Social Security.

Thanks for the wake-up call to all the AR bashers. Your experience closely mirrors mine, ARs are very reliable and accurate.

It was rarely cleaned; frequently going 600rds+ between even basic wipedowns of the guts.

Well there is your problem... you should be sticking tiny pieces of balsa wood down the gas tube and scrubbing forcefully in order to keep it free of carbon. You know those rifles poop where they eat! ;)

Okay. Actual test I was part of: We fired 6,000 rounds through both a base M16A4 and a proposed change (sorry, can't say). While half the test group used one type, the other half used the other. Then, we switched. That's right, 12,000 rounds through both styles of M16. I had TWO malfunctions the entire time... ONE was caused by a bad magazine on the first day. The other, was MY fault. I did an 'overzealous' chamber check with 'cold-numbed' hands and ejected a round.
So to sum it up: I fired 11,998 of 12,000 rounds and both unfired rounds were NOT caused by the weapon. We sprayed the bolt and carrier down with squirt of CLP every 120 rounds, and cleaned the bolt, bore, and carrier every 600. The rifles were cleaned (to my standard) only once, at the end of the test.

I fired 11,998 of 12,000 rounds and both unfired rounds were NOT caused by the weapon

And people wonder why some folks get rather picky about having only milspec or better components in their AR...

Could be that when you follow those specifications, you end up with a rifle that just won't quit.:)

What I find most amazing about this thread is that it only had 5 post up until now. I have no doubt that the AR is a great weapon because I own 4 and don't have any problems when using the correct ammo.

Oooohh, you better buy a lottery ticket. Am told that only forward piston AR's will run. They say the DI version locks up after a few rounds & then you have to completely dismantle / clean the whole works. :D

Oh but SURELY a $700 oly/bushmaster/dpms/ect AR15 could easily do that because they're just as good!

This is why I recommend people spend the extra few hundred bucks if they want anything more than a range toy.

I have the trigger happy kit for my marlin from them. Ordered it online but about a year ago when i was down in anchorage I stopped in, They had some very impressive guns in there "fine guns" room i believe it was called.

Wish i had a couple of days to do that with my BCM that would be awesome. Great job and very nice rifle. As stated and obviously proved the systems are extremely reliable more so than most would admit. All without a short stroke piston system too :)

I see two kinds of people complain about ar reliability. First is those who dont know how to take care of them or load ammo for them and second is guys that are doing nothing but passing on info they got from some so called expert on the internet.

I have a Colt HBAR that is now 26 years old. Whilie it isn't alwys my primary match rifle, I don't recall it ever jamming, at least I've never had to shoot an alabai string with it at matches that I can remember. I haven't kept track of the rounds fired through it because I've always had the intention of changing out its factory chrome lined heavy barrel, but alas, I never seem to get around to it.

I do clean it thoroughly after each use though and I always find myself wishing that it had a gas piston instead of the direct gas impingement system. I'm amazed at the longevity of the chrome lined barrel. My other match rifles burn out their throats at about four to five thousand rounds and need replacing. I'm quite sure that I have fired many more rounds through it than that.

As for brass, I use Lake City brass as I get that for free and it lasts for many reloads. The AR15/M16/M4 series of rifles seem to be pretty easy on brass compared to other auto loaders like M-14 or German G-3.

Last edited:
First off, let me come out----I love my AKs! That said every AR I've ever owned (currently own 4) has been extremely reliable as long as they are properly cleaned/lubricated. Most who post about ARs that are unreliable are referring to some sort of torture test; not exactly applicable for the average AR owner. I have two ARs that have never had a malfunction through thousands of rounds of cheapo Bear ammo so far and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make it to the 10k mark without a hiccup.

Thanks for the field report.

Update

I have not been able to shoot as often as I would like this winter, but I've shot as much as possible and I took the A4gery out again today. Perfect as usual. Tried some Mk318 SOST and some Federal Fusion 62gr with good results.

Now 11,000rds without a malfunction. :)

m amazed at the longevity of the chrome lined barrel/QUOTE]
I am in the first stages of building an AR actually awaiting parts and was wondering how important the chrome lined barrel is ? I was told by a person who is an AR nut that it is not that important and actually a waste of money.

Hey,,Stop it all of you. I have been fighting this AR buying bug for 3 years now. You people are not making it easy here:D. Sounds like they are some solid performing rifles.

Back