Zeroing your scope. What distance?

James, Mixing 22 and a large game rifle is a non comparable.

Big game shooting is not target shooting, you want to be able to just aim and shoot at anything out to 200-300 yds. That takes care of most shots if they are a snap shoot, aim at the middle and you are going to hit it in the vitals.

So, 2 inches high at 100 gets you on at 200 and you drop off at 300. Hold a bit high at 300 or top of the back at 350-400 and it will hit the vitals.

Above poster does it a bit higher and goes out a bit further for a dead on shot, same idea but extends his range and he has the cross hairs figured to make the long shots.

22? 50 is common, but if you are hunting rabbits at less, then 20 or 30 makes sense. 22 looses a lot quickly and drops fast. Keep it inside the 50 and you are good. You can sight at 100 but then way off at shorter. Starting to mortar them at 100. Its an inside 50 yd or meter round.

depends

My general purpose, everyday .22's, both scoped, are "on" at 50 yds, with Rem bulk pack HP's.

But, I have a 9" pieplate sized gong set up on the corner of my place that is about 125 yds off. A CMP Mossberg 44 with peep sights is set up to shoot "on" with a 6 o'clock hold for it, and affords me peep sight practice that is pretty satisfyig. It shoots Rem bulk pac too.

Finally my Savage TR .22 is zeroed on at 100. The scope for it has tac knobs and I can click away for range and wind and get some come up and wind practice. The TR gets CCI hi vel.

For the 22lr, I zero at 75yds. For the lever actions (30-30 and 45/70) I use 100yds. For the flat shooters (25-06, 7mm mag, 300WM etc.) I use 200yds. The rest (22-250, 260 rem, 308, 30-06, etc.) are zero at 100yds.

For the most part, it depends on the game the terrain and the cartridge that you hunt with.

Back