zero at 200 yards

cw308

Zeroed at 200 yards for accuracy. What target , color and size are you using? I tried the 2" Shoot N See, cross hair with a 1/2" hollow square & the 1" black dot shoot n see. What works best for you.

The one-inch squares in orange ink, with a center large bull and four small bulls.

Any target with vertical and horizontal lines helps avoid canting the rifle.

@200 yds. I like to use those light pea-green "Dirty Bird" targets (6 and 1/4" square, with a 6" round black target and a 15/16" red bull). Our rifle range target butts are shot from the west, so shooting early morning is sometimes a challenge. The red dot shows me the best in the scope in that early morning light (cloudy mornings a plus). Actually, I prefer the red dot no matter what time of day I shoot out there. The red dot seems to give me the best and clearest image in the hairs. I can use those targets a couple of times when shooting the '06 against the .223. Works for me; I found a hundred pack of those targets for a deal I couldn't pass up on ebay.

There's also a roughly 10" X 15" hanging gong out there @ the 200 that I paint flat black and then put a quick shot of white in the center each time I hang a target. I'll shoot my cold, clean sighter on that, and the splash is easily seen through the scope. My spotting scope is set up next to me to get a clear report on the Dirty Bird. Works quite well for me.

2"x2" square of duct tape on cardboard is pretty good. Most hunting type reticles are small enough to "hold on the square" @ 200.
I've let my 200 yard butt weather away and only use 100 yards and 300 meters due to ease of maintenance of those target locations. These ranges tell me all I need to know about my zero and accuracy.

I think it would depend on what you shoot, and the type of sights.

I use the NRA/CMP bullseye targets for iron sights as I use a 6 o'clock hold. With glass/w/cross hairs I like the diamond style targets.

Kraigwy
I'm using a 24 power scope 200 zero, benchrest only . With 70 year old eyes & progressive lenses . Even though my groups are average 1/2" , may sound crazy but I find the smaller the target the tighter my groups , I just have to see it. Tried a 6 O'clock hold but like the bullet to hit where the cross hairs are . Mirage adds to it , like a moving target . Just love shooting.

I have been using these since about 1980:

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Redfield-Precision-Sight-Target/dp/B000KKER0Y

iu

The diamond shaped ones make it easy to place crosshairs and hold them on target

FITASC
I've seen that target before. Next time ( this Sunday ) shooting from the bench I will scan the targets that are set up . I'm looking for a target I like . sounds crazy because all you have to do is aim & shoot . Targets with vertical & horizontal lines have to be hung straight . I have a bobble level on my scope to check for cant . Most of my home made targets have the V&H lines. I'm trying the 1" Shoot N See black dots on Sunday .

I have the 1" orange dots , Sunday I'm trying 1" black dots & just a 1" circle 1/4" black rim 3 on a sheet at 200 yards. Looking for the smallest target but easily seen. Squares in both positions is next once I find the right size.

Sharpie and a box mostly, sometimes a piece of paper is taped on a box. On fewer occasions I use storebought, I like the pack with the little circles.

rickyrick
I think that's what I'll be doing after all my trying. Also will be trying a X will see what works best for me. I will report back after Sundays range trip.

Last edited:
I've made my own target's for a long time. Normally I also put 1" sq's on them and then a 2" black diamond in the center. Thing I found out with target's, the smaller the bull, the better I shoot so long as I can see the bull. I use 8 1/2x11 plane paper, draw one then for $.10 copy then at the Bi Mart in town. The squares come out 3/4" for some reason. Recently I was hit with a brain storm about my target's, better if the grid is smaller. So, I got some graph paper, 1/4" squares and made a target in it. Same diamond for a aiming point and room to move the bullet up 4" which generally give's me plenty of height. On the grid I draw a one inch grid using a dark pen and ruler following the lines already there. Load data can be written on the bottom or on the back, back is normal line's no graph.

Don Fischer
I'm basically doing the same, I also found out the smaller the better the groups , just have to feel comfortable seeing the target without straining. I'll get there & let you know what works best for me. As I posted , dot , circle , squares & X. Once I see what works best then I'll work on size. Sundays the test. Either way its a good day at the range, weather permitting.

Back