Yugo SKS vs. Chinese Sino-Soviet Type 56 SKS

Being able to burn through cheap ammo is one of the benefits of owning a rifle that was also made by "commies". It doesn't seem to bother my chinese SKS a bit and except for the gas valve, it got along just fine in my old yugo.
I haven't seen one box of US made 7.62x39 ammo since the panic set in. Even at the old prices of ammo, that stuff was expensive to shoot.

As I promised, here are the photos of my new Yugo SKS.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370226632.278586.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370226648.007618.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370226661.358552.jpg
At the range, it worked perfect. I used Russian made Tulano 124 gr. HP Steel Case, Non-Corrosive Berdan Primed ammo without a single problem. I love this new rifle. At 50 yards I was able to achieve 3-4 inch grouping the very first time I shot it. I can't wait to return to the range for more practice.

very nice, you should also be able to shrink those groups with practice, these rifles are able to easily do 1-1.5 inch at that range, though the sights make it difficult.

Looks great. Glad it's a good shooter, too. That berdan-primed ammo is about the best stuff I've found, but I haven't seen any since the big "panic".

Is it just me or does that stock look sanded?
...And get your dang toes out of the pic!

Cool Yugo though! Nice addition. This might sound strange, but both Yugos I've owned shot better using the flip-up grenade launcher sites.

We have a Yugo 59 and a Chinese type 56. The Yugo is the early model before the grenade launchers were added. The Yugo is much more robust and very well made, but I prefer to carry the Chinese its lighter and slimmer. We got lucky both rifles are in great shape with good bores and the Chinese has a great crown. I didnt want a 59 66.

Do you think the Yugo's configuration makes it more accurate? Some have said its 3 dot sights and extra weight improves its performance. Is this correct?

I have read that chrome-lined barrels are, theoretically at least, slightly less accurate than non-chrome-lined barrels. Also the grenade launcher of the Yugo would probably serve to help protect the muzzle crown from getting dinged up. Finally, the extra weight of the Yugo certainly reduces recoil noticeably (not that SKS's are hard kickers to begin with).

I thought Chinese made semi-auto rifles like SKS have been banned from importation for the last decade or so. I wonder where these Chinese SKS have been hiding which have recently hit the market since I have not seen them for sale until recently. Perhaps the difficulty of obtaining a Chinese SKS may factor into your decision.

I thought Chinese made semi-auto rifles like SKS have been banned from importation for the last decade or so. I wonder where these Chinese SKS have been hiding which have recently hit the market since I have not seen them for sale until recently. Perhaps the difficulty of obtaining a Chinese SKS may factor into your decision.
norinco(north china industries company) is banned from import. the chinese SKS you see flooding the market now are all military surplus that were made prior to 1963. since they are 50 years old they are exempted as curios and relics.

You really scored on that selection. That Yugo 59/66 looks like it just came from the factory. I've had a couple of Chinese Type 56's, and I still have the "paratrooper" model w/a folding stock, 30 rd. mag., and other embellishments. I recently purchased a well-used Yugo 59/66 with a stock that I swear looks like open grain whiteoak. I found out why the guy was in such a hurry to sell it. It wouldn't re-chamber a round after being fired with the gas valve set in the semi-auto position. A few minutes of online sleuthing and I had a gas valve replacement kit ordered from Murray's in Bowie, TX., for $21 total. It was a simple change out, and now this old warhorse cycles like a new one. As far as any accuracy differences, either model is more accurate than I am. I'm not trying to kid myself, either of these with open sights shoot as accurate as my Mod. 336 Marlin (for me at least). If you use corrosive ammo, use some Windex w/ammonia to neutralize the acidic combustion byproducts, and don't worry about rust in either weapon.

Back