Yugo Md. 57 (Tokarev)

ks_wayward_son

I was just perusing the good 'ole SOG website and found that they're having a Memorial Day sale on the Yugo Md. 57 (189.00)....even better they are now C&R eligible. I was considering the Polish or Romanian model, but now that the Yugos are available and eligible, may go that route.

Heck of a deal so go for it! Tokarevs are great guns, and a price like that is a steal. I'm tempted to go for it myself, even though I've already got one.

Order placed. When the BBT gets here I'll have a trifecta of Toks. Romanian, Polish, and now Yugo!
Maybe someday a Ruski, and Chicom to join in.

Heck yeah. I'll go ahead and get the Yugo right now, and maybe the Polish later on for variety sake. I now am in desperate need of a safe of some kind...you guys were right about this C&R business...its the Lays chips concept...never only one. :p Still have a VZ 24 or probably K 31 eventually on the lineup too. Classic Arms will probably be my source for those. Also, SOG was advertising Garands for 400 something, but I think they're sold out. I wonder what the condition of those pieces are.

I should have done a little more research about the differences of the Toks...now realizing that the 8 rd. mags aren't interchangable :o. But that doesn't dismay my decision after reading about the conversion of the CZ 52 mag to function in a Md. 57, and also realizing the extra grip purchase the Yugo will have. Sportsmans Guide has some 52 mags around 19.00 to try and convert. Also, a site called Keep Shooting has them at approx. 21.00 or so. How about it...anybody else with the Yugo Toks attempted this "project?" It sounds like something even I could do, and that says quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Polish Tok

OK, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but,,,, I tried to order a Yugo and a Polish Tok on 6/1/10 but could only get the Yugo, the Polish ones are sold out for now. But I am happy to get the Yugo, now, with my C&R, my sister had to order hers through a dealer, and (of course) had to pay more. I think she is still mad at me. I now have two Romanian Toks with the Yugo soon to be in transit. Mine are accurate, inexpensive and cheap to shoot, what more could you ask for? (I know, more money to purchase more "toys") I hope the Polish ones are available again soon, need to round out my Tok collection. :D
Has anyone found a supply of the 9 round mags for the Yugos yet?

Thank you for this thread, I had no idea the Md was a C&R now.
I always wanted this particular Tok but never bought one, I wouldn't have known unless I glanced through here...

I will be ordering one very shortly! ;)

I ordered my M57 last week and it arrived yesterday. I paid the handpick fee, which I am not sure if it was worth it or not. Overall, the pistol is in great shape with the exception of the idiot mark on the slide. No biggie. I can probably cold blue it. The serial numbers on the barrel, slide and frame all match. The barrel was pristine with strong rifling and only a little copper fouling.

The slide to frame fit was very tight and the barrel locks up just fine. The trigger is actually quite nice. It's not match grade, but it's not bad at all. Internally, everything looks brand new. Both magazines look new too. Externally, there is holster wear and the idiot scratch like I mentioned earlier. On mine, the safety is difficult to engage but easy to disengage.

The longer grip helps the M57 fit my hand very nicely and it points naturally as well. I haven't shot it yet, but I will very soon. For $199 plus shipping and Ohio sales tax, I feel the M57 was well worth it.

The BBT brought my M57 Monday. After wiping about a pound of cosmoline of, I found a likw new beauty, I haven't yes completely cleaned it up, so I don't know what the bore looks like. I o expect it to be as nice as the rest. I'll probably get to the range next week to give it a trial run. Maybe take my CZ52, Romanian TT33 and Polish TT33 along for some comparisons.

I paid $10 for handselect and my Yugo Tok was a beaut. Appears unfired with very light holster wear on a sharp edge or two.

M57 safety

Back to the Yugo Tok talk. Anyways...I got it cleaned it up pretty well (at least externally) with some mineral spirits and looks good...a few scratches here and there but thats surplus for ya.:rolleyes: I know some may say not to necessarily worry about the safeties which are added on, but my safety is absolutely stuck fast on fire. Even after the good cleaning, it will not move...with my thumb at least. I'm not really sure of a way to remove it to clean it, and am wondering if a good tap with hammer and punch would budge it, but don't want to mess anything up. Anybody else have this much trouble with the safety? Recommendations?

drop the slide and mag, you can see the safety, mostly you have one glue with cosmoline, but it might be hung up on something, it slides out once the grip is removed with just a light tapping (use wood or other non marring), pretty simple.

Cleaned 9# of cosmo off the M57 tonight. Now the slide stays open on an empty mag, like it should. The slide actually goes into battery when you press the slide release, like it should. AND, I can see the rifling down the bore. Did find out one interesting thing. It has a magazine disconnecter! Not that I really like them, but it surprised me to find that out.
Hopefully, if I get my Honey-dos done this week I'll have a range report later.

The safety on mine was tough to engage at first as well. A good cleaning inside and out helped alot. I still cannot engage it by flicking on with my thumb like a 1911. But I can disengage easily with my thumb and that's all that really matters.

So my first handselect from SOG was a beaut, but my second was a dog. Cleaning off the cosmoline revealed round/deep pits (shaped like craters) near the Yugo crest. The three largest were 5mm, 4mm, and 3mm wide. They had been blued over, but were not hard to miss once the cosmo was removed. A few smaller ones under the extractor. The cutout in the slide where the safety engages was so completely filled with rust that it looked like red moss. The safety would not budge, even after I removed the grip to ensure it was not hanging up on something. There were scratches and rubs all over, but I could have lived with these. I didn't bother to check the bore.

SOG was happy to replace it with another handselect, but I had to mail it back at my expense. I was told not to send back the spare mag since they are now shipping without the spare.

Back