Yugo M48 vs Mosin Nagant M38

i've personally owned both, and even sporterized both.....the mosin is a fun gun, that's about all i can say for it....it has alot of power in a small package.....the best you can do for solid optics is an s&k scout scope mount and an extended eye relief scope......(unless you want to do alot of welding)

the yugo m48 is a nice weapon that has almost endless potential......the mauser action is highly sought after for custom builds....8mm can be an excellent round in the hands of a reloader, or you could fit a nice match grade barrel to it and have a fine long range hunting platform in a modern caliber (.270 Winchester for example)....the receiver can also be drilled/tapped, but the bolt handle will have to be altered if you mount a scope too low.....i bought and fitted my yugo m48 with a richard's microfit laminated stock, with future plans for a Krieger barrel.....it was a beautiful rifle, i wish i hadn't sold it

Last edited:
No question I'd take the Mauser. I don't buy guns for investments, and it sounds like you're looking to use yours instead of holding it until it's worth more than you paid.

The mauser has a better/smoother action, better trigger, better sights. There are tons more options for mods available for the M48.

And one thing that should not be overlooked is the MUCH better safety on the Mauser. If your going to be hunting with it, you want a safety that can be easliy flipped, not the clumsy knob of the Mosin.

Apparently its an MN91/59, had not idea.

I am going to be contrary, so with the MN

That is one nice MN whatever version it is (I have a junker NRA one from when I was a kid, still pick it up and think I should get it into shooting condition and then think, that's stupid, but it does have appeal.

Last edited:
The M38 is really an M91/59. Much rarer than the Yugo M48 Mauser.

To collect, the M91/59 Mosin Nagant is the right choice.

To hunt, the M48 Mauser.

Don't try to "improve" either rifle, if you are concerned about value, they are worth more in the current condition than bubba-izing. If you want or need a gun to hunt with, get a gun for hunting and you'll be happier.

Unless that's a Tula 91/59, not rare at all, round receiver, not hex- and not worth two bills even as a collectible.

The Mauser otoh, looks like a beauty. I'd take it for two bills in a heartbeat if it has a good bore and crown.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the MN, I have two, one highly "sporterized" that I use for long-range- they can shoot if you have one with a good bore.

Buy a 91/30 for $90 online if you want one to shoot...

There's a lot of "inflation" going on with Mosins these days at retailers and some online vendors. Shop around, they're still available at sub-$100 prices easily.

Back