Yugo M48 vs Mosin Nagant M38

PITT5150

My friend is willing to trade either his Mosin Nagant M38 or Yugo M48 for my shotgun. I'm kinda leaning towards the Mosin M38 because they are harder to find and cheaper to shoot. The Yugo on the other hand is just feels better. The fit and finish is head and shoulders above the Mosin. To me, its a better rifle but it costs more to shoot. Also, I plan on doing some pig hunting with either one. Both are in immaculate shape. I would like to hear your input.

Mosin Nagant M38
DSC05502.jpg

Yugo 48
DSC02061.jpg

Last edited:
The mauser is worth a fair amount more, even if its not actually a k98. If its a yugo mauser its still worth about twice what the m38 is.

Take the Mauser! It's worth more, it feels better, and it will be a better gun! You can get decent priced 8MM Ammo from Palmetto State armory.

Having owned both their is no contest! Take the Mauser!

Mauser over the Mosin any day of the week. I love my Mosin but it's no where near the quality of a Mauser design. The Mauser in the picture appears to be in almost pristine condition and would be my choice for sure.

Stu

I liked my Mausers; I liked my M44.
In my opinion, the Mausers are finished better and are a bit smoother, but I'd be happy with either.

I have little experience with mausers but in my experience with the mosin nagant family of firearms they are very gritty actions, hard trigger pulls, very hard bolt cycling, garbage safeties if you have greasy/sweaty hands. I can't imagine a gun that could perform as poorly as the mosin nagant. I even spent my spring sporterizing one and it is still a horrible example of a firearm.

given the multiple similarities between mausers and springfields I would make an uneducated guess based on my personal experience with springfields and recommend the mauser over the M38 for hunting.

however if you are looking at this purchase as a long term investment the M38 would be the smarter trade because the M38 is going to rise in value exponentially over the M48 because they are rarer. right now you may get the M38 for cheaper and they are not nearly as nice of a shooter but 10 years down the line the M38s will easily draw more at the counter than the M48s and in 50 years they may be as sought after as German K98s are today.
it's all about total market, correct market and demand, the fewer that were produced, the more that are sporterized and the more demand there is then the more you will be able to get out of it down the line. M48s kindof missed the whole sporterizing phase of american history where you could buy one at sears for $14 and modify yourself so they will probably stickk around for quite a while compared to the M38s.

Forget about the collectability. The Mauser is superior design. The machine work is also much better on the Mauser and that lends itself to better accuracy.

Mauser all the way!

Also the 8x57 is a good hunting cartridge. And the Mauser will just be better built.

Enjoy your shooting!

ATB,

Scrummy

As someone else said, take the Mauser and just buy a M-N.

"however if you are looking at this purchase as a long term investment the M38 would be the smarter trade because the M38 is going to rise in value exponentially over the M48 because they are rarer."

Not sure if that is true, the M-N just might be the most produced rifle ever...

T.

Not sure if that is true, the M-N just might be the most produced rifle ever...

the mosin nagant 91/30/1891 models are the most heavily produced battle rifles of all time. the M38 and M44 carbines were not made in nearly the numbers as their full length counterparts.

Mosin

For no particular reason other than my own personal prejudices, I like Mosin Nagants more than I like Mausers. I also like the price I pay for 7.62x54R and the fact that the ammo is much easier to find. I have two Mausers (Yugo and Turkish), and I've never shot either one of them precisely because of the cost and scarcity of 8mm ammo. Recently, I picked up two spam cans of 7.62x54R (440 rounds/can) for $75 each. I know that Mausers sell for more usually than Mosin Nagants. For that reason alone I'd take the Mauser and (as I think someone has already suggested) then trade it for a pair of Mosin Nagants.

Back