Youth gun .410? Need advice

Is it possible to have her take a class and let the coach recommend a gun for her? Perhaps a group class for youths. The coach may also know a better way for a kid to mount a slightly too large gun.

If I understand correctly, you got her a fixed breech 870 in 20 gauge and she fired standard 1200 fps loads. Have you tried the simplest things, like reduced recoil ammo. I believe several companies offer 20 gauge shells loaded to emulate 28 gauge.

I would try that before spending a lot of money on another stock and having it cut to fit.

Of course, BigJim's suggestion is the best way to go if you can afford it; get a gas operated semi.

Doyle- I see a youth composite stock, but I already have a youth walnut on the gun. I need something I can cut down further. Can composite stocks be shortened or will I lose the block that the recoil pad screws into?

I don't believe a composite can be cut further (somebody please chime in if you can). I'm thinking you'll have to find a youth wood stock that you can trim.

I would give Numrich a call and tell them what you are looking for. They may have just the thing.

And once you cut that extra ebay stock, put some lead in one or two empty shotgun shells (fill them up and crimp) and put them in the stock hole. That will change the balance from being too heavy and might help her out.

Of course there is more to fit than LOP - especially for women and gals - and that means pitch, drop at comb, drop at heel, toe in or out, cast on or off, etc. Many females are also cross-eye dominant. There are simple ways to determine that as well. IF she is cross dominant, then have her shoot off her strong eye shoulder.

Last edited:
Whether or not you can cut a composite stock and have something to mount a recoil pad onto depends on the stock. A standard Remington 870, you can't cut much. A Mossberg 500 perhaps.

Remington sells the 12" LOP 870 stocks. We bought one to put on the youth model 870 20ga Slug gun I have. The 13" LOP stock was too long for my daughter. It took a bit of digging to find the part number, but it is there.

We also have a 20ga 870 ultra youth that has the 18 1/2" barrel, choke tubes and 12" LOP. I think the 21" barrel would have been just a bit better, but I couldn't find one in the area at the time.

The slug gun has a scope mount on it and I didn't want to go taking the stock off and on, hence the other gun. Now the slug gun can double as a youth model turkey gun simply by swapping barrels.

Spend the money on her. It will be worth it in the long run.

If you wanted to cut a Mossberg 500 stock it wouldn't be the plastic stock. It would be best to go on Numrich and order a used one. I've seen them for $20 and less that can be modified dirt cheap.

I could cut back the 870 stock an inch but that wont cure the nose heavy issue and I hate to do anything to such a pretty stock.

I dont see an option that will fix this at this point other than letting her continue with the rimfire (AR) at the range until she grows a bit more. Its also Softball season so she should be strengthening up a bit and she doesnt have much time to shoot with me anyway.
Waiting is the best plan so far.

She's growing fast, and you can cut the stock down to fit better and she won't mind the recoil at all.

Buying another gun won't change the fact that she's still a little small for most guns to fit well

You already have the best possible gun

You'll find that the .410 probably has as much recoil due to its lighter weight. You'll also find that the reduced amount of shot will make hitting the target more difficult. The .410 was designed for the purpose of making matches more difficult when people wouldn't miss otherwise.

She will grow into the 870 youth quickly. My son had trouble with his at at age 10. At age 11, he got his first deer with it.

Use low power target ammo. If she can't handle it, a .410 likely won't help. My son spend his first season hunting squirrels with a .22 rifle.

What would be a proper starting LOP measurement? I was always told (laymen) that the bending the arm and measuring from the inside of the elbow to the base of fingers was a good starting point. I know it works for me at 14", I like a little shorter (13-13-1/2") on my duck/turkey gun so that I can shoulder quickly with a parka.

BoogieMan, that method might get you close (sometimes) it doesn't take into play things like thickness of the chest/shoulder or length of the neck.

The method that has worked for me is to have her grab the shotgun like she is about to shoulder it and close her eyes. Then, with eyes closed shoulder the shotgun like she is about to shoot. Keeping the eyes closed keeps her from unconsciously adjusting her cheek weld to compensate. Now, measure the distance between her thumb and the bridge of her nose. It needs to be somewhere around 1 1/2". If it is too long, then the LOP needs to be shortened. If it is too short, then a thicker recoil pad is needed.

There is one more thing going on with your daughter that needs to be addressed. You mentioned she has a hard time holding the barrel up. That is fairly typical of very young shooters - particularly girls. The cause is a lack of upper body strength. At that age, girls can be extremely weak in that area. Rather than compensate by trying to lighten the barrel weight, go the other way. She needs to strengthen the upper body.

Find a good recoil pad, and maybe you can get another barrel for the 20 and cut it to minimum?
The 870 Youth Model is only 21" anyway
Cutting off 3" won't change the weight enough to offset losing the chokes.

It's buttstock length that is the major problem, and getting a wood stock to cut down would be very easy, and will likely only be needed for another year or so until she grows a little more

You can already get a 12" buttstock:
http://www.remington.com/products/f...s/model-870/model-870-express-compact-jr.aspx

KEY FEATURES:
Shorter 12" length of pull (1" shorter than compact model)
Adjustable Length of Pull System

BoogieMan, that method might get you close (sometimes) it doesn't take into play things like thickness of the chest/shoulder or length of the neck.

It also does not consider the thickness of the comb, the drop at comb, drop at heel, pitch, toe in or out, cast on or off, or even the style of the grip. Tightly curved grip or vertical (like an AR) can mean a shorter LOP might work well. Gently curved grips like a POW will fit better with a slightly longer LOP. Straight English style can use the longest and still and fit comfortably.

If she cannot hold onto the gun without leaning backwards then stop right there as shooting in that position will hurt from shot one.

If she cannot hold onto the gun without leaning backwards then stop right there as shooting in that position will hurt from shot one.
Every female I have ever taught to shoot a rifle/shotgun and some even with pistol lean back when they first shoulder a gun. I find myself correcting their position over and over. Once they get that girls tend to progress much faster then men. At least in my experience.

As long as you correct it; most do not and then the female declines to go shooting from there on, because the recoil is punishing.

Back