Your thoughts on "hand select"

Hi, Cheapshooter,

I should have been clearer. They go through several (5 or so) and pick one that looks good, but if none look good, they might check out the next five. They don't bring five at a time out of "storage" if you mean out of that big warehouse, but they do bring what experience says they will need to fill that day's orders. Whether the extra money is worth it is still a crapshoot.

Jim

Another thing you can do is ask when you place the order. I doubt it is their official policy, but I ordered a pair of Mausers a year or so back, and asked if the hand select was worth it. They said: "On these, no, not really"

You can also ask if they have any set aside, I got a Mosin from J&G last year, I told them I was specifically looking for a good shooter, they had a few that were set aside for bore condition for $20 more. That one was worth it, it is a great shooter.

Another thing you can do is ask when you place the order. I doubt it is their official policy, but I ordered a pair of Mausers a year or so back, and asked if the hand select was worth it. They said: "On these, no, not really"

That's happened to me several times - in fact, one particular vendor told me on one occasion that the hand-select was worth it and on another that it wasn't. So they weren't just grubbing for the extra $10.

I think part of it might be in being nice to the people you talk to on the phone, as that has always seemed to work for me.

I'd like to think that, but it's hard to believe that the woman taking the phone order influences the person picking the inventory - "this guy was nice to me on the phone so go out of your way to get him a good one."

To clarify, when I bought a hand-select MN 44 in late '07 from Classicarms, the gun would not really make a group at 50 yards, using the old Bulgarian yellow-tip ammo in the faded, sealed gray cans.
It seemed pointless to try any further targets.

This was both with the bayonet extended and folded. Part of the fault could be my lack of real skills when resting the rifle on bean bags and I sold both Russian MN 44s.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the people at Classicarms and their website-but some staff might not have the time or tng. to spot problems in a bore or muzzle.

Back