Your pistols and your favorite ammo for them

I carry 115 grain Gold dot standard pressure in my edc G43.
The POA/POI is right on with 115 grain ammo out of this pistol and Gold dot bullets are easily available as reloading componants for the range.
I carried 147 grain HST for several years but they do print high out of most of my 9mm pistols.
For Plinking ammo through most of my other pistols whatever although I do run light 100 grain plated handloads through my G17 when shooting in my clubs informal gun games.

124gr HST in my P290RS and 124gr Gold Dot (or HST) in my P250C. I've still got some old Silver Tip I'd use if I had to.

These are all for self-defense:

My favorite handgun to carry is a 1911 with a 4.25 inch barrel in .45 acp. There are several excellent loads for this size/type of gun but my personal favorite is Federal standard pressure 230 gr HSTs.

For my short barreled 9mms (Kahr CM9 and SW Shield), it's Speer 124 gr +P Gold Dots. But I also use these in my full sized SW M&P simply because its easier to have one type of ammo.

For my .38 special snubbies, it's most often the Speer 135 gr. +P Gold Dots for short barrels and, when not available their 125 gr. +Ps. You have to be very selective in what you choose for these snubbies.

If I carry a .380, it's FMJ, mostly because of inertia. I've thought of using the 90 grain Federal Hydra-Shok or the 90-gr Fiocchi Extrema.

I have 2 hungry Sigs...

A Sig P365 & P320c RX

They both get fed a good dose of Federal HST 124g JHP
If needed they spit 'em back out Accurate and Mean!

Match grade .22 LR ammo

This is strictly about .22 LR match-grade ammo.

I shoot a Smith & Wesson Model 41, a Browining Buck Mark UDX, a Smith & Wesson V22 Victory, and a Ruger Mark III 22/45. All these guns are nice and accurate. I'm starting to score (from time to time) in the NRA Expert range shooting two-handed with both dominant and non-dominant hand, at 8.5 yards, 17 yards, and 25 yards, shooting Slow Fire, Timed Fire, and Rapid Fire. Because I'm starting to have a little mastery over my physical shortcomings, I feel it's time to buy some match grade .22 LR ammo to see if I can improve my scores.

I’m going to buy a small bulk order of about 500 rounds. Lapua makes high-power rounds that NATO snipers use, so I’m assuming the quality of their .22 LR ammo is equally good. But the Lapua .22 ammo is a tad on the pricey side, not as bad as Eley match-grade .22s but still up there. Does anybody know anything about Lapua match-grade .22 ammo? What other match-grade ammo is good? People tell me some CCI ammo is very good.

Because the Model 41 is finicky and seems to have trouble extracting expended shell casings, I need to get match-grade .22 ammo that's high velocity, at least 1200 fps.

Last edited:
Glock 43:
Practice ammo = whatever cheap ammo I can find (Winchester white box, Blazer Brass, Federal, etc...).
Self defense ammo = Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P.

Ruger LCP:
Practice ammo = Whatever cheap ammo....
Self defense ammo = Hornady Critical Defense 90g.

Back