Your pick for BEST all around DEER rifle?

You're right...any bean from that hill will do it and the deer won't know the difference.

Gunwriter John Wooters said as much once in an article he wrote.
About 31 flavors of cartridge will be the 'best' deer rifle, depending on your taste, or something like that.

I picked a couple of Remingtons in the 7400 Carbine/.30-06 and a 700 in 7mm Rem.Mag.
Either will do for little deer or bigger animals, depending on where and how far the plan calls for and what bullet weight needs to be used.
Pick the one YOU like and have fun.

.458Lott using 450 gr X bullets at 2600 fps. You can never be to carefull with the "Fuzzy bambi death" of North America.

Ok sorry I'm a total geek.

I like the 06 or the .308 in what ever rifle you perfer.

I use a Rem 700 in 7mm mag. Some may say overkill, I personally don't think so. A little more felt recoil than a .30-06. My reason for getting this rifle was for whitetails and larger game too. Harvested two whitetails with it so far. Both dropped where they stood. I also have taken many whitetails with an old Rem 700 in .30-06. A friend of mine took a very large buck with a .243. I guess what it comes down to is personal preference. My father uses nothing but a Winchester Model 70 in .270. He took a small bull moose with it this year.

Back