Your Personal "Carry Guns": Modified or Stock?

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello all. Are the handguns that you personally carry stock or have they been modified? If so, how? I'll start the ball rolling by stating that my primary carry gun is a little S&W M042 .38 Spec as I don't go in harm's way very much at all now. It is stock totally because it suits my needs as is and I can shoot it pretty well. On the other hand, my primary carry Browning HP has had the magazine safety removed (I do know the arguments against this) and has been fitted with Novak (black on black) fixed sights. I have had the standard MkIII safety's "right" side for lefties removed as it got in my way and the stock's are Spegels. Best to all.

Modified. Some lots, some little. depends on what's necessary to bring it up to my standards of accuracy, reliability and effectiveness.

My pet GM was worked over by a good smith for the previous owner. My mods consisted of hardball springs, full length guide rod, (Unneeded)Herrett grips, and a touch of paint on the sights. But, this piece is absolutely reliable, accurate and effective.

OTOH, the 640 has a mere polishing of the internals, and Compac grips.

Basically, a carry piece needs a good trigger, grips that fit you,and sights that you can pick up quickly,and be chambered in a somewhat serious round. All the bells and whistles are OK, but oft the money would be better spent on range time and ammo.

My primary carry gun is an un-modified Walther P99 in 9mm. My backup carry gun is a stock Ruger P95 also in 9mm

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

My primary carry gun is a Lightweight Colt Officer's ACP which has the following modifications. Beavertail safety, extended thumb safety, Night sights, short trigger and arched mainspring housing and topped off with the Roguard finish by Robar. Secondary carry gun is a stock Kahr K9. Mark/Fl

Primary is currently a S&W Model 10. Backup is a S&W Model 940.
Both are pure stock. Both work just fine as they are.

Neil Casper

HK USP9--the only mod was the addition of trit sights. With the possibility of adding a match trigger, I doubt I will modify it further.

I carry a Kimber Custom Stainless. I had the following done to enhance its reliability and grip.

Replaced the 16# recoil spring with a 18.5# spring.

Replaced the stock sights with Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight night sights.

Reliability work by very competent gunsmith, Brian Bilby.

Stippled the front strap and replaced the plastic mainspring housing with a stippled stainless steel unit.

It is very accurate and reliable. It is my primary carry and I use it in IDPA competition.

Johnboy

Stock Springfield TRP :D

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

I have two that I normally carry and both are stock with no alterations.
1.Colt Detective Special .38
2.Beretta Cougar .40
Both weapons shoot real well and I have confidence with both.
Most everything I own is pure stock out of the box. I have thought about putting night sights on my Beretta. But after getting jerked around from some local gun smiths, They wanted to install what they wanted and what they thought were best for me, I gave up
So everything is still unadulterated.

Best of Health and Happiness in the New Year
to one and all.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

1911A1 with the following, MMC sights, 18.5 recoil spring, HD firing pin spring (came w/recoil spring), wide grip safety, extended but narrow thumb safety and stag stocks.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited December 28, 1999).]

Primary full size - Wilson 1996-A2 45 ACP with nite eyes - unmodified

Primary compact - Springfield Ultra-Compact 45 ACP - complete action job, S&A mag well, chkd frame, chkd wood grips, ambi safety, beavertail grip safety, full length guide rod.

secondary compact - Kahr K9 stainless - unmodified (so far)

revolver - S&W Model 60 - Hogue Combat grips, complete action job, recontoured and polished trigger.

back-up - NAA Guardian - unmodified

Mikey

Personal and home defense stuff:

Stock Colt CCO (except for Wolff 20 pound recoil spring)

Stock Sig P232

Stock Marlin 30-30

Stock Mossberg 12 guage with 8 round tube

Stock 12% pepper spray

Stock Australian Terrier (early warning device)

Stock mattock handle (cave man -- last resort)

:)

My primary CCW weapon is a SS Colt Officer's model. One of their factory enhanced models. I also had Carter Custom install a ramped, match grade bull bbl and a 2-piece full length guide rod. It is by far the most accurate semi-auto I own. I dont like cookie-cutter guns, and all I have left to do to this weapon to make it "me" is install a checkered backstrap, checkered Wilson wood grips, and have the frontstrap checkered as well. It has the factory 3-dot sights on it, which seem to work well for me. On the rare occation I'm not carrying it, I usually carry my Delta Elite-no mods- or my P-220 which sports a pair of soft rubber Hogue grips with no finger grooves.

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

Other than the pocket lint, all my Colt Gummint Models and S&W Centennials are stock.
Oh yes, do Cocobolo or other exotic wood grip panels count as modified?

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

Sig P226 with Hogue grips and a lasermax sight (which currently sports a dead battery). I really only use the laser to train - it helps me "see" what's happening when I pull the trigger. Other than that it is bone stock.

Back