Your most ODD gun.

Prof Young

Gun Lovers:
This is my Ram-Line Sny-tech semi auto 22LR. I got it at an auction for $80. They had two and the second one, which did not include a box or user manuals went for $90. Good deal for me!!! It has one plastic, 15 round magazine that does not feed well without some lubrication. In fact the whole gun seems to "run out" of lubrication rather quickly at the range. The accuracy at 10 yards is acceptable once you figure out the right sight picture with the non-ajustable open sights. The safety is two stage, meaning you have to sort of move it in two directions to get it on or off. It is a fun range toy, and if I wanted a gun to kick around in the truck this might be it.

What weirdos do you have in your collection?

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• Ram-line1.JPG
    Ram-line1.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 251
  • ramline 2.JPG
    ramline 2.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 157
Not exactly a glowing review you gave, but you seem happy with your acquisition and that is what is important.

My biggest oddball is a Libia, which is a copy of the 1906 Browning Vest Pocket Pistol. It was made by a Spanish company which now makes bicycles, during the period between WWI and the Spanish Civil War. We found it, and one round of ammo in a box beside it, when cleaning out the house of my wife's stepfather after he died. We made several jokes on a Barney Fife theme, cleaned it up, and kept it. We shoot it only occasionally. The best way to hit the side of the barn is to be inside the barn, and even then you might want to bench rest it.

I guess my wierdest gun is a Walther GSP in .32 S&W Long wadcutter. It's "not mainstream" in multiple ways. Has a big wooden ergonomic grip meant for one hand/offhand target work, but I shoot it both one and two-handed. Also odd in that it is chambered in a rimmed revolver round.

As the 5-round magazine is located outside and forward of the pistol's grip... Cook County, IL and all of NY state consider this target gun an "assault pistol." That's pretty funny... the only thing it is capable of shooting is five rounds of a 98-grain soft lead wadcutter going around 730 fps... but it is an "assault pistol."

Professor,
The feed lips on the Ramline magazines have a tendency to break off, rendering the magazine useless.
And they are hard to find.
Re-enforcing the lips with epoxy can greatly lengthen their life.

Yes and . . . .

Tailgator:
No, it's not a quality gun. I bought it for the oddness and as a range toy. Will probably stay in my collection just cause it's so weird.

g.willikers - I don't recall what gun it was, but I tried a couple of ram line magazines and not one of them functioned well. However; this gun was just too funky to pass on.

C'mon everyone. Show us your weird guns.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Along the lines of the Walther GSP mentioned above, I have a Benelli MP95. Yes, the same company that is famous for their shotguns. Magazine location in front of the trigger guard, custom made form fitted ergonomic grip for one hand shooting, very wide and tall rear adjustable sight, low bore line, strange looking thing unless you shoot Olympic or Precision Pistol competition.

Side note, if you've ever seen the movie "Batman Forever" it's the pistol Two Face used.

I have a No. 4 SMLE with a .45ACP conversion kit and it won't feed dummies from my Mec-Gar or Chip McCormick 10 round mags. Granted, it's not a complete conversion (yet, says this procrastinator) and needs a new extractor. I'll get it running soon.

No, it's not a quality gun. I bought it for the oddness and as a range toy. Will probably stay in my collection just cause it's so weird.

Understood, and didn't mean to sound critical. Heck, the Libia that I mentioned is in the same category, plus having a bit of heritage value.

A CZ52 pistol (I realize the designation is incorrect but don't care).

There's 3 odd things about it.

1. It's a 1950's European combat pistol, not an officer's pistol. Odd.
2. It's SAO.
3. It's a roller-locked recoil-operated pistol. That' super weird and unique. I'm talking MG42 style, except a hammer-fired SAO version thereof.

The weird pistol I'd want would be the LeMat.
Not sure of the spelling, but you know...
The civil war era revolver with the center shotgun barrel.
Very cool.

I have the IMI version of your Ramline, the Mountain Eagle. It has adjustable sights and a bright orange front sight. I call it the squirt gun, since it is all polymer except the barrel liner, the bolt, the receiver tube and a couple screws and springs. I worry the orange plastic front sight might make someone (LE) think it's a toy. It shoots Winchester Super X T like a laser beam. I even used it in some indoor bullseye matches, just to freak people out. I hunt small game with it, never miss. It's fun to hand the magazine to someone and ask them to figure out where the follower spring is. It's a flat, watch type coil spring, that unravels down the back of the mag, nearly invisible unless you know what to look for. I have had it since the 80's and have put a lot of rounds through it. Love it.
My strangest gun is a 44 Evans lever action rifle. Made in the 1870's, I call it the original assault rifle. It's rotary magazine, contained in the stock, holds 28 rounds of 44 Evans Long or 32 rounds of 44 Evans Short.

G.willikers - you spelled it correctly.

I've got a pellet gun built on an AK receiver. The 7.62 mm barrel has been ported at several points to render it unusable. The cleaning rod is actually the barrel extension. Made in Russia by some AK factory.

How about my 444 Marlin? It's built on a 98 Mauser. Accurate, light, just haven't had the chance to poke a hole in any critters with it yet.

Mauser 1914 semi auto pistol in 25 acp. Pretty funky in every way.

Hakim rifle in 8mm Mauser. Goofy.

-TL

Edit: forgot to mention the vetterli-vitali antique rifle. Pretty odd, at least to me.

Last edited:
I have a couple odd 22 pistols. The first is a USFA Zip. I hate it. Its an absolute piece of crap. IF it gets through a 10 shot magazine without a malfunction, its a miracle. You have to wear gloves because the ejection port is very low, right next to your trigger finger, and powder and fire will burn you quickly. After it fired out of battery, I decided it was retired. I will keep it, well... because its odd, and I don't want to turn it over to someone who will shoot it.

The second is a Tactical Innovations Cohort. Its basically a 10/22, but completely built by Tactical Innovations. There are no Ruger parts, but 10/22 parts are, for the most part, interchangeable. This pistol, unlike the Zip, shoots like a dream, is accurate, and reliable. I added a KIDD Trigger Job Kit, and now its superb.

The third is an Excel Arms Accelerator pistol in 22WMR. Its well built, large, heavy, accurate, and reliable. I'm getting ready to send the barrel out to be threaded for a suppressor, and then I will put a lot of rounds through it. I haven't shot it much, but so far, its been a fun pistol.

IMG_7170Small_zps5969c051.jpg

Picture001Small_zps9f894c11.jpg

FullSizeRender%2031_zpsqqdaynug.jpg

Follow up to OP

So I hand the Ram-Line, Syntech with me at the range today and took along along a small bottle of gun oils. Lubed the mag and the slide and there was a bit of improvement. Then lubed the action via a couple drops of oil on the face of the bolt and the thing ran much better. Was able to get through a full 15 round mag without a jam. Of course the accuracy sucks but . . .
I guess I need to shoot if off a sand bag to be sure, but I think the accuracy is really bad.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Marquis of Lorn

I was given an old Marquis of Lorn revolver by my cousin. It is a .22S revolver with a pearl handle birds head grip and a spur trigger. A suicide special. She said she once fired it. I cleaned it and removed a match head from the spring. Mistake. I need a new tiny V spring to get it to shoot. Not in a hurry though. Enough gun to get in trouble and not enough to get out. I wonder who really made it and where that name comes from?

I have a "thing" for odd guns. Here's a list of a couple of unusual firearms in my collection:

1. HAC-7
2. Israeli FAL built on SBL receiver
3. American Derringer Pen gun - .25acp and .22 magnum barrels
4. Early 1960's Dan Wesson .357
5. Detonics Pocket 9
6. USAS-12
7. COP 357
8. Steyr GB
9. Boberg XR9-S

My grandfather gave me a unique pocket pistol in 25acp. It says unique on it. Told me it was his uncles. It does not go through a mag without jamming. Came with a holster and extra mag. Believe it to be made in france between the wars.

IMG_20131226_202215_202_zpsepfwmfnb.jpg

I have a few others that are odd.

The Nagant 1895 revolver is rather a odd piece.

Back