Your Ideal Fighting Platform

Which fighting handgun platform would you pick?

• 1911/2011/double stack 1911

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • CZ75 and clones

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Glock

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • XD

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • M&P

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Berretta M9

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Sig P226

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Colt Revolver

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • S&W Revolver

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 15 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Glock 19 Gen 4.

Just because I have one, shoot it very well and don't mind if it gets dirty or scratched up.

My BHP and CZ's would also be fine, but I DO mind if they get dirty or scratched up.

As the late Jeff Cooper opined, If you are expecting a fight you need to have a rifle or shotgun in your hands not a pistol in a holster. So that let's out all of the given options.

Your Ideal Fighting Platform

Would be a tree stand 20 feet in the air, and 20 miles away from the fight:D

Mr Borland: I prefer something with BOA laces to get them on quicker too. Your point is a good one!

Easyeach: I totally agree. Hater the fanboys who yak on and on about platform. I was trying to figure out how to make big groups like all 1911's and all CZ75's as a group. Do you have a better word I can use?

I picked the Beretta M9, not for CCW, but for home defense, or any other fighting situation.

With 15 rounds in the mag, one in the chamber, and three more mag's in my pocket, that's 61 rounds before I run out of ammo. I'll take my chances with that.

I can't think of anything that would be better Nathan. Sometimes I forget my motto: get smarter get nicer or be quiet. My post was not helpful at all and I apologize. As for the poll I voted "other" as I believe any of your choices would suffice with the proper training and mindset. Now I'll quietly get back to cleaning my AR "platform".

Getting silly here.

A competent and trained handgun user should be able to 'fight' effectively with any of these.

As said a million times, it is more the skill of the user with modern quality guns than the 'platform'. At the highest end of competition you start to see nuances based on technical characteristics. My friend who is a national level revolver champ with a SW Model 10 probably can out do the average mook with the highest end 1911.

I voted "other" ...

When I was a young man, and a relatively new LE firearms instructor for the first several years, I had some strongly held opinions about "favorite" handguns.

The longer I worked in LE, and served as a firearms instructor & armorer, the less emphasis I personally placed on specific handguns. It was probably handy that I'd started LE by carrying a service revolver; was already a longtime 1911 owner/shooter; and then transitioned over to TDA (DA/SA) service guns ... and then had to become acclimated to the striker-fired, plastic guns as they emerged in LE circles.

Having preferences in the equipment/gear is all well and good, but it's the knowledge, training, skillset, experience and mindset of the user which really makes things run.

Some folks limit their skillset development to only running 1 or 2 different types of guns, and that's fine, presuming they never find themselves in a situation where they can't use their favored gun(s). Some folks go a bit further down the 'intentionally restrictive' path by only using a personalized gun.

As an instructor, I prefer to be able to use whatever is being carried/used by any of the people I help train. I'm no longer fussy about what I may be issued or required to use, either.

I may have some personal preferences when it comes to spending my own money on guns, and I may have some preferences when it comes to supporting, maintaining & repairing some makes/models of guns as an armorer, but any lack of attention to skillset on my part isn't the 'fault' of whatever make/model gun may come along.

If someone's demonstrable skills are only good when they're able to use some particular gun they may favor, how skilled, overall, are they, really?

Asking students in a training class or course to exchange guns can be an illuminating experience, especially if you ask them to do it under some of the more difficult conditions (low light, movement, etc), with, of course, close attention being paid by instructors and a brief familiarization of any features that may be unfamiliar to the students before they use them.

Getting silly here.

A competent and trained handgun user should be able to 'fight' effectively with any of these.

As said a million times, it is more the skill of the user with modern quality guns than the 'platform'. At the highest end of competition you start to see nuances based on technical characteristics. My friend who is a national level revolver champ with a SW Model 10 probably can out do the average mook with the highest end 1911.

Yep.

Glenn E. Meyer said:
My friend who is a national level revolver champ with a SW Model 10 probably can out do the average mook with the highest end 1911.

Pretty sure I know who this is, and I'd agree. He probably can. ;)

As said a million times, it is more the skill of the user with modern quality guns than the 'platform'.
A Glock is probably the simplest, most standard, most broadly known handgun available in the US. That is why I chose it. There are more accurate guns with bells and whistles, better trigger, bigger rounds, better looks, larger magazines, etc.
But, a Glock gets the job done and has for 30 years now. It is the most likely handgun to be available to me if I am not carrying a personal firearm, by a large margin. SO I train with and carry a stock model giving me a slight advantage with that pistol.
I try to learn the basic manual of arms of as many as I can, but if I can choose i will take a Glock.

Back