Your favorite target caliber?

as the latter generally involved deeds and mortgages and bulldozers.
Funny, but true. I live in heavily wooded state and finding even 100 yards can be a challenge. I keep looking around for a piece of land with an abandoned airstrip or right-of way power line/pipeline cut.

One of the national highpower champions developed 308 Win loads that tested several 10-shot groups under 1.5 inches at 600 yards. He won the 600 yard prone aggregate with three 20-shot strings inside 7+ inches.

I favor .223 at 100 yds, but I'm considering adding to it to fend off boredom. This would be a bolt gun; not looking for a sore shoulder and would like to keep it under $750 if that is realistic these days (last rifle I bought was a 10/22 a few years back). I'd want to reload, but that's a different thread. Thanks for your suggestions. :)
6 BR Norma for group. 30 Br for dots. 100 and 200 yard.
6 Br for 400 and 600.

I dont have a favorite 1000 yd cartridge. I change all the time. I guess 6x284 if you nailed me down.

One of the national highpower champions developed 308 Win loads that tested several 10-shot groups under 1.5 inches at 600 yards. He won the 600 yard prone aggregate with three 20-shot strings inside 7+ inches.
I had to hang up the .308 Win after shoulder reconstruction. I can take a couple heavy recoil rounds in hunting rifles but cant take repetitive pounding.

223 all the way!

Another 223 bolt rifle fan here. Bought my first one in 1992, slayed hundreds of rockchucks with that one. I had a few decent 223 bolt rifles that came and went before I bought my Kimber.

The one I have had the longest, liked the best, had the most fun with and will never get rid of is a Kimber 223 Longmaster Classic purchased in 2007.

It cost a bit more than you mentioned; I was very hesitant to buy it because it cost about twice the amount of money of the other 223 bolt rifles I bought. I had to buy it on lay-a-way.

Other's have had bad luck with Kimber rifles, I would not hesitate to buy another one if I was in the market. As a matter of fact, last year I purchased a new Kimber 223 Classic Select Grade for a walk around rifle. It's another gem worth hanging on to.

Neither rifle has had a commercial round fired through it, both rifles shoot the same handload with minute of chicken egg accuracy. They are the only 223 rifles I own now.

Shooting lemons all day from 100-300 yards is quite the riot; I can shoot a couple hundred rounds without beating my shoulder into submission.

Old roper,

The NRA aggregates scores. Types and rules are stated in match programs listed by the NRA for the national matches or clubs for local and state matches. National records are listed in and can be found in.....

https://competitions.nra.org/results-and-records/national-records/

I mentioned the 7+ inch group because the furthest out of the 6" X ring a shot went was about an inch across three 20-shot strings.

Last edited:
Back