your favorite reactive target?

edgeofhell

Inactive
I must admit my friends and myself go through alot of pumpkins on sundays...........bricks are fun too

whats your favorite enemy?

Bowling pins - they react fantastically and don't go fly out of sight quickly if set on a large pad without a fairly solid hit from a heavy caliber. They take a lot of punishment (many hits) and I have a good source for freebees.

But they're still a pain to set up each time. Sigh, can't have everything.

I like big game hunting. For a 50' range ,put up animal crackers and use 22 pistols with iron sights. It's a fun challenge.

A Real Person

A living, breathing , thinking, human being. I prefer to use simunitions, name your poison, airsoft, FX, whatever...Nothing better then going up against a real person, shooting REAL projectiles at you.

Thin The Herd

Golf Balls

Golf balls make excellent reactive targets.
Used to be a driving range near here and I asked them what they did with the recovered balls that were too badly damaged (usually with a "smile" cut into the ball). Instead of tossing them out I asked them to save me a bucket or two and I'd pay him $5 a bucket (about 40 balls).

Place these on top of berm, on top of posts or simply on the ground at about 10-15 yards. When hit, they tend to hop around. When hit squarely they tend to take off for about 200 yards!

Have any old or contaminated flour around the house? Pour that into some restaurant style portion cups and tape behind the X-Ring of your targets to get a "puff". This is especially good when practicing point-shooting.

Soda pop cans are a favorite too. Scoop about 3/4" of dirt into the bottom for stability and then add about 1/2 ounce of water. Let stand while you target shoot and after about 1 hour put them out standing up. Use these for point-shooting skills as well, with blank paper or reversed targets behind for correcting your point of aim if they're not on the ground.

One of my favorites for the 12 guage riot gun are gallon milk jugs filled completely to the top with water and capped tightly. I turn my back and my son puts about six of them at different distances and at different heights (on the ground, fence posts, etc). After he is back in front of me and assures me the range is clear, I whirl and attempt to get all six, rapid fire. They explode fiercely when completely full. I use them to attempt to keep my skills up with the "home defense" shotgun.

I only do .22s at range (I'll have a centerfire one of these days!), and my .50 muzzle loader (inaccurate)... But these should be fun.

Old, inedible apples are nice, especially if you're in a forest where the animals will eat the remains.

Popcans fulla water are good. If you want the cans to pop a bit more, and you don't mind paying a bit... Use unopened cans. Wasteful, but fun.

Finally, if you're not up for walking, find a good, long, bendy stick (7 to 8 feet minimum), Prop it up into an arch, then hang popcans using some string. Use 1/4" of dirt in the bottoms to keep them in place. Don't bother with this in windy areas though.

Soup cans or any similar cans filled with water. Also, some fella told me about some (I think I got it right) Tannerite(sp?). I'd like to try for fun. makes any target that much funner...

I like old gas grill propane tanks. With all the new BS regulations (I don't know if it's just MA or federal), you can't get the older ones filled anymore. And, most scrap yards won't take them unless they are "perforated". Well, that's where I come in. I load up the back of my truck with them and go to the range. Usually distances from 100-200 yards for plinking with handguns and rifles (you need a rifle to punch holes in them at that distance). Every once in a while I would get one with a bad valve that somebody couldn't empty first. They dance around pretty well then.

After a day at the range, I just toss them into the metal dumpster and pick up another truckload the next time.

I keep one tied up between two trees on the riverbank behind the house, too. For handguns at around 30 yards, it's reactive in the sense that it's moving and you can hear it, but it just dents, no holes yet. It has to crack sometime soon though.

I keep one tied up between two trees on the riverbank behind the house, too. For handguns at around 30 yards, it's reactive in the sense that it's moving and you can hear it, but it just dents, no holes yet. It has to crack sometime soon though.

For some reason, I'm thinking "The propane tank that got away..."

I like to use clay pidgeons, myself. They work pretty well for practicing point shooting, as well as longer distance (out to 30 yards) shooting. If you get a hit, you'll know it

For Tannerite

Personally, I go for the Clay Pigeons at around 75yds with a .22LR. Bowling pins are fun at around 100yds against a red clay backstop...stand out very well. You can also get some 3/4" roundstock steel and build a frame (not inexpensive and requires welding skills) and weld 3/8" flatstock steel to the top and you get the "ding." Carry a couple of cans of spray paint and you can paint over where you shot. Ahh, fun at the range. :)

Back