• 600 yards

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 1000 yards

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • It depends on other factors

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters
For a handgun, I'd say 100-200 yards.

Rifle is dependent upon caliber. I shoot a 22 LR rifle out to 250 yards. That's the limit of my range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Now... anything past squinting distance.

I've never done anything I'd consider long range shooting as a civilian. My shooting areas have always been wooded, even more now. Hunting was mostly under 200 and usually under 100, the closer to the game the better. It's just the way I like to hunt.

But I'd say beyond 500-600 is long range.

I'd say I'm in the "it depends on the situation and what you're shooting"-crowd.

But if you want a straight, no-BS, no semantics answer...
I'd go with 500+.

Much of what I have been shooting over the last 5-7 years gets pretty gimpy at 350 yards, or less (big, heavy, and slow stuff ;)); but the average centerfire rifle cartridge can do a bit better.
My personal experience and skill hit a bit of a wall beyond 450 yards.
500+ can be very taxing and difficult. (When hunting, I don't even think about trying it.)

Thanking Rangerrich99 for his comment:
Nice shootin', Tex (TXAZ).

It really is "1 Shot 1 Thrill" with a .50, but I'll admit there were "many thrills" before getting in the groove on the first two of these.

"I don't believe in the max point blank range method. It causes more problems than it solves. You still have to know the accurate range of game to determine whether to shoot or not. If you know the range you can compensate. With a 100 yard zero almost all modern loads will require little or no hold over at 300. It is a lot easier to remember to hold 2-3" high at 300 than to remember you're bullet will hit several inches high at close range."

Sorry JMR, but I have to disagree with you on that one. If you have to worry about shooting too high, you are not sighted in for the maximum point blank range. Since when did 100 yards become the magical distance to sight in. Why not 123 yards or 157 yards? It is just a distance of English units. Most rifles zeroed for 100 yards will be way low at 300 yards. By sighting in for a maximum point blank range for the game you are hunting, you don't have to worry about the distance until it exceeds the point blank range.

I am not suggesting you are wrong for how you choose to shoot, but for me if I have to hold over it is too far.

"Sorry JMR, but I have to disagree with you on that one. If you have to worry about shooting too high, you are not sighted in for the maximum point blank range."

A lot depends on the intended target. Truthfully, I've "shot over" a LOT of coyotes using the 2.5-3" high @ 100 yards zero. MPBR is entirely dependent on the size of the critter. Many cartridges should only be 1.5" high @ 100 when shooting at critters with a chest depth of 6". Even then, the MPBR is theoretical since it only addresses aiming from a "zero wobble" platform with a perfectly accurate firearm.

Yeah, subjective. I'm a hunter, mostly, so for me long range is out around 400 to 500 yards. Still, that's not what I think of as long range shooting.

To me, real long range is for the competition guys. "Life begins at 600 yards." Serious competition where gear and judgement of the wind comes into play is out there at around a thousand yards.

I built a 500-yard range at my house. Didn't shoot at the 22" steel plate all that much, but with my pet '06, one-MOA groups weren't difficult. But, after many decades of shooting rifles--and 25 years with that particular critter--I figured that I was supposed to be able to do that.

Out of some four dozen tagged bucks, only two were "out there". One at 350, one at 450. All the rest were inside 200 yards. And the last mulie I killed was all the way out to 25 yards. :D

Sighting in for maximum point blank range is related to the size of the critter you are hunting. The point blank range on a moose is much longer than on a deer. If you are going to hunt both deer and elk for instance, then sight in so that the bullet's path will not rise more than 3 inches above the line of sight and you will be good to go for both animals. Sighting in to hit dead on at 100 yard is surrendering to gravity way too soon.

Assume we're talking about centerfire rifle?

I'd say anything less than 200 yards is short range, between 200 and 500 is mid range, and anything 500+ is long range.

Most important factor I think is a good optic, one that you can turn the dials on the turret and always have them go back to the same zero. I hear alot of people saying you need to have a big heavy bullet going at high velocity but I've shot out to 600 yards with plain old 55gr .223

My current long range gun is a 6.5mm Grendel AR-15, have a 16x fixed power scope on it. Works pretty well, but I could use more practice with it (I'm still a bit of a noob at long range stuff)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 10
I believe 400 to 500yds is long range. You cannot sight in much of any rifle and hold dead on at that range. Where ever you sight in your rifle you will at some point need to change either the scope or your hold to make a hit!

Back