Your choice

I hope this isn't too far off topic but something similar did happen in a case I worked.
I was a fairly new patrolman & was sent to a call where a man said he'd been threatened.
I talked to the victim who explained he had another guys wife in his home, she wanted him more than her husband. I spoke with her & she was there of her own free choice.
The victim said the husband was really ticked (no kidding) and has a handgun.
I told the victim if the hubby showed up don't answer the door, don't confront him, call police immediately & we'd handle it.
I said "for all I know the hubby could be hiding in the bushes".
HE WAS! it was night, the house was surrounded by thick unkept shrubs.
(getto-hood) Sure nuff, soon as I drove off the hubby appears, knocks on the front door, the "victim" asnwers, opens the door armed with a hatchet.
The hubby promptly shoots the victim in the throat with a .22 revolver.
The victim survived. Hubby goes to jail. Woman runs off with someone else.:eek:
Don't bring a hatchet to a gun fight.:D

Assuming that flight is not an option, given the two choices the O/P offered I'm going with the M-66 and speed loader. Reason is, I carried a 4" M-19 to work daily for 27 years. I know how one shoots and the damage a properly placed .357 Magnum round will do.

For any new members the model 66 is he stainless steel version of the Model 19.

I have to agree with Onward Allusion and Seven. If you live in a densely populated area, over penetration with a rifle is a possibility. You are responsible for all rounds that you fire. Sticking with the OP's parameters, 1911 for me.

It seems like it would mostly depend on the individual guns.

My "bedside table gun" is whichever gun I carried the day before, so it usually cycles between a g19 and gp100 (usually the glock).
I feel perfectly fine with either, but the speed of reloads would probably sway me a little towards a semi.

But if I was expecting trouble I'd probably just turn on the alarm/cameras, and leave.
The kids like visiting their grandparents, and I like avoiding fights.

Also - out of curiosity - why one reload for the revolver and 2 for the semi?

Why?

Dayman,

Well I have 2 mags for the 1911 and one is loaded and in the weapon;

The Smith is loaded and has one loaded speed loader.

Each weapon has one reload.

Rmocarsky

I love how everyone has gotten hung up on the scenario, when it is basically a semi vs revolver for HD handgun question. Not even cleverly disguised.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with the scenario. You have people that call and make threats to harm others for psychological advantage, and then don't act on them for days to weeks. Police, contrary to what TV says, can't do a stake out for 3 weeks because of a threat. Further, just because a threat is made, doens't mean you move out of your house for a predetermined amount of time. You don't know where/when the event will happen. It could just as easily be at work as at home.

I don't own a 1911 anymore, but I have multiple 38/357 revolvers. I think we know which one wins in my house. I've always been more of a fan of a New York reload, myself.

I would go with the 45 personally, less muzzle flash and recoil. Quicker follow up shots, not to mention a couple more rounds.

I know everyone likes long guns, but I really prefer the handgun for HD. My home has a lot of tight spaces and quick corners. The handgun is quick for me to bring into action and I shoot them well.

Not to mention the only ammo I have on hand for my AR is 62 grain "penetrater". Not the best choice for self defense if you like your neighbors.

Back