Your choice of duty sidearm...

ATN082268

If you were serving in a law enforcement capacity and had your choice from the following list, which sidearm would you pick?

S&W Model 686 Plus
Ruger GP100
S&W M&P 40L
S&W M&P 9L
HK Mark 23
FNX-45 Tactical
Colt Rail Gun
P226
G17 Gen4

ATN082268 said:
If you were serving in a law enforcement capacity and had your choice from the following list, which sidearm would you pick?

S&W Model 686 Plus
Ruger GP100
S&W M&P 40L
S&W M&P 9L
HK Mark 23
FNX-45 Tactical
Colt Rail Gun
P226
G17 Gen4

First off, I think location plays a major role. If you were a LEO in a small town in rural Michigan, where you are more likely to need your sidearm for a 4 legged critter as oppsed to 2, I would look at the S&W 686+ or the Colt (nothing against the Ruger, but I think the 686 is a slightly better weapon.

If you are in a more urban/suburban area, I would look toward the M&Ps or G17, with the 226 as a distant 3rd. I am no LEO, but if I were, I would rather have a higher capacity than the higher caliber, a lighter weapon opposed to a heavier weapon, and a more common LEO weapon as opposed to a less common for ease of gunsmithing.

HK Mark 23 - accurate, proper duty caliber+long barrel, reliable, extremely well built... What else would I want from a duty gun when CC is not an option anyway?

I can't actually picture a cop using a mk23, but that's totally what I'd use if it were an option. The Colt Rail Gun would be a close second.

If you were serving in a law enforcement capacity...
I do and I carry a FNP45 Tactical, basically the same gun as the FNX. It's a great piece and I'm very happy with it. Top notch gun for uniformed carry.

I prefer the P226. Reliable, easy to shoot well and extremely accurate. And uber safe. And I personally would only ever carry a DA/SA for a duty weapon.

I carry the Glock 19 Gen-4 already so I would go with the G17. I'm not a Glock fanboy, but it's a reliable design and I've had no trouble with it. Been carrying a G19 (Gen 3 and now Gen 4) for the past eight years.

Not the revolvers, based on capacity.

Not the H&K Mk 23, although there's nothing wrong with that gun that a shoulder stock, 30-round magazine, and a 12" barrel wouldn't fix.

SIG....

I'd pick a SIG P226R in the DAK(Double Action Kellerman) format, caliber: .40S&W. I'd add Trijicon HD orange-green night sights.
I used to advocate the .357sig but many major US law enforcement agencies are moving away from it. It's not due to power or ballistics but economics/budgets.

The .45acp is fine for LE duty too. My local sheriffs office(approx 1200 sworn deputies) has issued the Glock 21 .45acp duty pistols since 2002 with few problems. Detectives & special units also get HK UMP .45acp SMGs too.

I did carry a 686 on duty for a short time, so it'd be my choice. It's sort of a comfort zone for me. I started shooting on an old 686 (before they had dashes and plus signs) and a 586, and even today I still shoot my revolvers better than my autos. There are a couple of autos I'm just as proficient with, but they aren't on the list. Even still, I like the .357 mag and have shot tons of it, more than anything else aside from maybe .40 S&W. Even with the choice of autos, I'd probably still prefer my old 686 or GP100.

Back