Your Choice For Self-Defense Ammo

OOH, I LIKE THAT ONE

155g Remington, extremely well proven.

As I review the lists, I notice opinion opinion opinion. Makes sense, as I firmly believe confidence is a considerable portion of the self-defense equation.

But I'll still offer my opinion on an easily-acquired commercial-type ammo list:

9x19 = R-P 115g JHP +P
38 Special = 158g LSWC-HP
357 Magnum = full-velocity125g JHP
40 S&W = R-P 155g JP
10mm = Cor-Bon 135g JHP
Big-bores = Winchester SilverTip
45 ACP = 230g JHP

As this is quite old, I sure hope there are still some readers out there. I bought a box of Winchester Ranger 85 gr. +P+ Frangible, and don't know anything about it. And can't much about it. Does anybody know anything about it? It seems to penetrate 3/8" - 1/2" plywood, but leaves little trace. Haven't shot through water, as I just don't buy anything anymore in gallon jugs.
Sure do appreciate your thoughts and experiences with this ammo.
Kindest regards,
Bil

Any reputable manufactured ammo that feeds in my gun. I don't get caught up in the latest and greatest rounds. Bullet choice is not going to save your life, how well you can shoot it will.

Any reputable manufactured ammo that feeds in my gun.

I don't assign guns to SD duty unless they'll feed whatever I throw at them.

just because X fickle gun "always" feeds ammo xyz doesn't mean it will continue to do so.

Federal 124 gr +P+ JHPs for the home.

For the ranch, it's SS109 62 gr, Green-Tips and Remington's 158 gr. JSP for the .357.

and last but not least I use these little buggers in 12ga.

How effective are those mini-slugs?

well it's 400gr+ coming out at 1200fps. Someone earlier used the term flying ashtray and if this ain't I don't know what is:cool:

from my limited testing recoil is very low and flash is also on the low side. 100% reliable in my Ted Williams and accuracy up to 50yards is right on par with 2-3/4 slugs.

Plus I can load 12 into my shotgun :D

well it's 400gr+ coming out at 1200fps. Someone earlier used the term flying ashtray and if this ain't I don't know what is

from my limited testing recoil is very low and flash is also on the low side. 100% reliable in my Ted Williams and accuracy up to 50yards is right on par with 2-3/4 slugs.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. There's no way you're going to match that with a pistol. Add that to Subaru AOW and you have quite some close range firepower.

Do they recoil much compared to a normal slug?

I'd always figured they were gimmick rounds that faded away, as I haven't seen them in years.

Actually recoils maybe a smidge less then 2 3/4 target loads.

You just need to be sure you gun will function with them. Many wont.

My choice is some kind of bullet.

I like it.

I think that OCD is the biggest factor is some of the selections mentioned. :)

It's a wonder cops and other self-defenders ever survived years ago.

Dragline45 said:
Any reputable manufactured ammo that feeds in my gun.

RedBowTies88 said:
I don't assign guns to SD duty unless they'll feed whatever I throw at them.

just because X fickle gun "always" feeds ammo xyz doesn't mean it will continue to do so.

Neither do I, but any round I choose to use for self defense I function test to assure it feeds in my gun, hence my comment. Not sure what part of my comment made you think I implied otherwise.

The actual point I was trying to make was that I don't get caught up in what's the greatest and latest HP design. How well you can shoot is far more important than the bullets you load your gun up with.

I like the Big 3 (Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Federal HST).

I've used .45 230gr Gold Dot & Ranger, 9mm 147gr HST.

9mm- CorBon 115gr +P jhp
.45- Barnes Tac-XPD 185gr +P jhp
.357 Magnum- Federal Personal Defense 125gr jhp (357B ammo code)

I chose these loadings after much reading and research. The CorBon 115gr +P jhp is a highly regarded SD loading in 9mm.

I like the Barnes Tac-XPD in my .45 Springfield XDs for CCW duty. Recoil is tame, muzzle blast almost non-existent, and the solid copper bullet expands reliably and retains it's weight through the target.

The Federal Personal Defense 125 gr jhp .357 Magnum loading, ammo code 357B, has the highest one shot stop percentage of any handgun loading, in any caliber, ever used for SD.

I like Speer Gold Dots and Remington Golden Sabers, but I think that any of the top shelf hollow points are pretty much equal; Hornady XTP and Critical Defense, Federal HST, Winchester PDX, etc.

In 38spl +P I like Buffalo Bore FBI loads.

I choose the following rounds for my .38 Special revolvers, based on the fact that my revolvers were designed for lead bullets.

1. 158 grain standard pressure, standard design lead semi-wadcutters.

2. 148 grain standard pressure wadcutters, preferring double-ended, but will use hollow based, if that is what is available, at the moment.

Semi-wadcutters have been shot out from revolvers, prior to 1928, when Elmer Keith and his particular deisgn semiwadcutters became the rage. So why trade perfection, for an engineered piece of metal, which is designed to fail at certain parameters, and may not, due to someone's tailor?

Wadcutters, being 'soda cans of lead', are mistakenly and solely assigned to punching holes in paper. Now, it is on the record, from the 1950's, that inner city plainclothesmen utilized these rounds in their service snubnose revolver. It is also on record that Civil Defense officials issued S&W Model 15's, with full wadcutter loads. These 'soda cans of lead' are recorded to function as personal defense rounds, again, without an engineered 'designed to fail' ogive, that may or may not 'work as advertised'.

Lastly, both rounds deliver a manageable amount of recoil, and allow a quick return to second shot, that other rounds might not.

Whatever box of JHP comes out of the right calibers drawer when I stick my hand in.

It's a collection of great magnitude.

As long as it feeds, it'll do the job.

I've become much less picky about such things. Plus, I got sick of having a second "critter" magizine so I didn't waste the 'spensive stuff on vermin.

Speer Gold Dots. They hit hard and always open up. I also like the Hornady Critical Duty & Critical Defense ammo. I don't think one can go wrong with any of these three.

Back