Your CCW/CHL: what kind of holster and where is it on your body?

TXAZ

I'll get my CHL in a couple of weeks and intend to carry.
Two questions to you:
1) What kind of holster do you use?
2) Where is the gun concealed on your body?

My primary method of carry is a leather IWB holster (Summer Special type) at about 3:30. I'm right-handed. With an appropriately sized pistol (7+1 single stack 9mm) it conceals extremely well with just an untucked light shirt.

I'm pretty boring. No matter the firearm, it goes in an appropriate leather OWB holster at about 3 o'clock. As far as holster brand, I'm relatively catholic in my tastes. I've had excellent luck with holsters by Hume, A.E. Nelson, Bianchi, and Gould & Goodrich; all depends on what supports any given gun the best.

I'm fairly new to carry and in a hot climate. I have been carrying Nylon small of back and have a growing holster collection. I have decided to order the Canute from UBG and carry 4:00. I have discovered a few things not mentioned much:

Leather is durable and comfortable.
Nylon is itchy
Horsehide is the best dealing with sweat
Have a tuckable option... Even if just a small AceCase.
Sweat can be really corrosive, if IWB, get a sweat guard.
Uncle Mike's might be cheap and not last long, but they are comfy until you figure out what you really want.
Heavy guns want OWB or dual clip IWB.
If a holster doesn't look balanced, it isn't.

Mostly: Fabric, IWB about 1:30... shirt out overhanging, concealing...

Occasionally: In cool weather vertical shoulder holster concealed by heavy shirt or light jacket...

Depending on my wardrobe, I might use IWB (kydex/leather) or OWB leather, or even a kydex paddle holster. Always at about 3:30, though.

With very rare exception, Kimber Stainless Pro Carry (4" 1911) in a Galco OWB leather holster carried at the 3:00 - 3:30 position.

IWB holster

Around town and in the Summer I use IWB at 9:00 in a cross draw from a .32 ACP to a walker. Once I can wear a jacket I go back to holsters on the inside of my Jacket and an IWB at 9:00.

Sometimes two gun carry sometime three.

When I have to pack heavy calibers I have shoulder holster and for when I have to wear a suit I have a double shoulder rig for small autos and another for small revlovers.

Today it was a J frame .38spl in a no name leather pocket holster I got at a gun show for $10. Tomorrow and Tuesday it will be the same gun in a Renegade ankle holster. From Wednesday through the weekend it'll be a Springfield 9mm Ultra Compact in a Don Hume OTW leather holster on my right hip at 3 o'clock. And so on, depending on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing, one gun/carry system doesn't get the job done for me.

I usually carry AIWB in a Galco Stow-n-Go. It fits my Glock 19, Ruger SR9c, or M&P 9c perfectly.

On some occasions wardrobe demands that I use a "Sticky Holster" ... same guns carried AIWB, but more concealed, deeper in the waistband.

My LCP in a Galco pocket holster in my front, or hip pocket.
My J frame and K frame snubs I carry in OWB holsters at 8:30 (I'm left handed) and my LC9 in a Crossbreed super tuk, or 1911's, anywhere from a 3" to a 5" in a Galco King tuck,or Galco OWB with retention strap. all at the 8:30 position.
I always wear square cut shirts untucked, at work and off, which works well for concealing either inside or outside waist band holsters.

I'll get my CHL in a couple of weeks and intend to carry.

We are at the beginning of this here in Ill-i-noise.

Two questions to you:
1) What kind of holster do you use?

Galco Triton IWB, Aliengear IWB, DeSantis and Mika pocket holsters.

2) Where is the gun concealed on your body?

In the waist band right on or right behind my right hip sees to work best. Pocket holsters go in the right front pocket.

Colt Agent or Cobra in a custom AIWB from Red Cent Custom Leather, McLeansville, N.C. I am wearing the prototype as I type this. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn.:)

I'm awaiting my permit but I will be carrying a 9mm shield in an aliengear cloak tuck at 3:30-4:00. Been wearing it around the house it's easily concealed and pretty comfortable.

Back