Young carjackers learn a valuable lesson...

"Neinast said that as the teens were getting ready to leave in th eCadillac," does not sound like they turned away for a second. They were going away. I stand corrected tjhough on my comment about the victim not loosing property. As much as I agree with defending yourself, that's why I carry, I would be afraid that shooting a fleeing felon would expose me to a serious felony charge. I sure hope that this man escapes unscathed. Being robbed at gunpoint is terrible but shooting anyone that is not posing you to personal harm creates a second tragedy. I think and hope that there is more to this than meets the eye that exonerates the victim. I didn't write, nor do I enforce, the Laws that determine whether a shoot is lawful, so don't castigate me.

HP got it right, even if he is a bit of a softie. The fact that anyone on this board would think to criticize him only supports his observation that we are gaining speed.

HP got it right, even if he is a bit of a softie.

Nah, not a bit. That was the fourth edit of the post, and the cleanest I could come up with at the time. Don't want to get banned for letting the full cannon loose....;)

Just have to be careful. In South Africa for instance they learnt the lessons and decided its best to just shoot the owner first before carjacking.

Those teens hopefully learned a lesson, you never really know what event can change a person's life. I hope they take a long, hard look at their lives. They were shot and not killed. They are lucky to be alive. They should think about the stupid thing they did and maybe... just maybe... one or both of them can turn their lives around to some degree.

But I can only *hope*.

Props to Thompson for keeping his head about him. Sorry that happened to you man, you did a good job defending yourself, we'd love to have you around TFL if you've heard of us. Plus I'm in Houston man!

Glad you're okay. You should take a vacation though.

Just because they turned toward a car does not mean that they were leaving. They could have been getting someone else to do the shoot or dropping off one of them so that the remaining guy could take the car.

It doesn't add up. People do not take joyrides under force of death. They left him there at best to steal his car and at worst to run him over or shoot him to death. Being ordered face down at gunpoint constitutes threat of immediate bodily harm.

As well, how was he to know if they were in fact fleeing; He was face down. He saw an opportunity to escape and took it. While I agree that he had some issues with awareness, someone else can tell his family that his lack of "spidey sense" was reason enough for him to die.

Good shoot IMO, too bad his aim wasn't perfect. The laws do need a bit of tinkering with, they tend to protect the criminal just a little too much.

Back