You want to be a real boy (Hamilton restoration)

I picked one up years back, but it was a bolt action. I bought it at a flea market and thought it was a BB gun at first glance. It would be wise to use CB caps only. I don't know what yours has stamped on it, but mine said ".22 Short only". Maybe why you had problems inserting a .22? The barrels were brass, but not solid bar stock. It is an insert of rolled sheet brass stuck inside a steel tube. I believe they rolled the sheet around a mandrel and pressed it at the same time because mine was rifled. It may have been designed for black powder, so be careful. Nice job on the restore.

I figure the brass barrel insert was thought likelier to hold up to corrosive priming than steel. Black powder is dirty but its heavy fouling dilutes the potassium chloride. I have read that there was no way to keep a .22 from rusting out when shot with corrosive priming and smokeless powder, other than by wet cleaning at the range. Otherwise it would be rusty by the time you got it home.

Neat work.

Nice job. Great to see a piece of Americana rediscovered and brought back to its beauty the way it should be.I love the old sale flyers.
Im going to go out on a limb and make you an offer for double the original price.

fun project, it looks kinda similar to a remington rolling block minus the loading procedure.

pretty cool to that the article says AND GIRLS even thou in smaller font.

Back