You guy's are slackin....

I don't smelt in my casting pot, but I do smelt in a Lee 20# Magnum melter. Then I put the ingots in my ProMelt for casting. I don't need a lot of ingots and I don't want to build/buy a smelter pot and turkey fryer. :)

Are you guys pouring ingots out of your casting pots? That'd take forever!
Nope.
Bullets are cast from the casting pot.

Ingots are cast from the 'smelting' pot.
It's an 8" dutch oven on a turkey fryer base. The dutch oven could, theoretically, hold 90+ lb of alloy. But I try to keep batches to about 40 lb or less. Like Mike, I don't want a structural failure to leave me in a sea of 600+ degree alloy.

Oh ok. That makes sense. I use a turkey frier and a dedicaded 10" cast iron pan. Itll do maybe 40#s a shot. I made two molds that make 5# ingots. Usually Ill cook up my scrap, with the molds sitting on top to preheat, a welders glove on one hand and a pair of channel locks in the other, a quick pour into the hot molds (makes for a nicer ingot:cool:) let those firm up and flip em, pour two more, let em firm up a flip em...till the pan is empty.

I have two if the 6"x1.5" angle iron ingot molds that I use the most. But when I pour up large batches I drag out everything and usually get about two pours per batch.

I like those ones from the angle Iron cause they stack in the Lee pot so good.

Chainsaw,

If that's the same ammo can i seen a pic of about a week or so back, you got a ways to go....

It looked awful big with those little rounds layin in the bottom

Eastwood. Its the Kawasaki green. Been doing shake-n-bake, coverage is a tad heavy but useable. Very well could be the very humid environment up gere in the PNW though.

Back