Yet another quarterbore project on the way

Love them Hawkeyes!
Those aren't Hawkeyes. Those are original Ruger model 77 rifles. Some refer to them as MKIs but thats not the correct name. After these came the MKII rifles then the Hawkeye variation. These are the tang safety push feed rifles. The MKII rifles were control round feed.

Love them Hawkeyes!
Those aren't Hawkeyes. Those are original Ruger model 77 rifles. Some refer to them as MKIs but thats not the correct name. After these came the MKII rifles then the Hawkeye variation. These are the tang safety push feed rifles. The MKII rifles were control round feed.
Thanks for the correction--bad habit of mine I call all model 77's Hawkeyes; I have a 35 Whelen beauty myself and it's a prized rifle in my collection.

I just wish they hadn't gone primarily to the bottom bolt release
I wouldn't say they went "primarily" to the bottom bolt release--actually they a re (thankfully) relatively hard to find though I have bought two 111's that have them--to this day why they have them makes no sense to me, they are awful IMO.

If you're still finding the top bolt release rifles they're NOS. Almost all current 110s use the bottom bolt release. There are a few exceptions with the scout and chassis models stil using the old release. I'm guessing the ACIS style mags shown are the reason.

If you're still finding the top bolt release rifles they're NOS. Almost all current 110s use the bottom bolt release. There are a few exceptions with the scout and chassis models stil using the old release. I'm guessing the ACIS style mags shown are the reason.
Are you saying that Savage is discontinuing top bolt releases on all 110's (and their numerical doppelgängers) and from now on they will all be bolt-release in front of the trigger guard--even for non-AICS detachable magazines? I was not aware of this. I detest those bottom releases and have been a staunch Savage loyalist for decades--but that may end if I'm forced to purchase only bottom release rifle actions. I know about the release conversions and have used chassis that can adapt to both--but they still suck IMO. Savage is going to lose other hard-cores like me over this I suspect.

stagpanther said:
Are you saying that Savage is discontinuing top bolt releases on all 110's (and their numerical doppelgängers)

There are no longer any numerical differences, they're all just a model 110. Short action, long action, blued, stainless, or carbon fiber it is just a model 110. If you look at the current offerings for Savage, if it doesn't have an extended magazine it uses a BBR.

Last edited:
@stagpanther, this was hashed out when the BBR (bottom bolt release) came out on Savage Shooters. It was discussed how it was seen a cost saving measure by the moderators. All I know for sure is that TBR (top bolt release) rifles are getting harder to find, stripped actions with TBR are a premium. Also if you look at what Savage is offering only the rifles with an ACIS style mag are offering the TBR. If Savage uses a flush fit magazine they're all BBR rifles.

I doubt Savage will come out and say the BBR is the standard for the 110 action. You just have to look at the current offerings to know that the company is headed that way.

Savage has no "Standard". They seem to always change something with the 10 / 110 action every few years just to keep everyone in the aftermarket confused as to what parts will actually work with them.

That's one of the main reasons that I started using custom action's on my builds. Yes, they cost more, but just knowing that I have a multitude of choices when it comes to barrel's / stock's / trigger's, makes it well worth the extra expense.

I put a 25 CM together a couple years ago. Fun cartridge to shoot. Finding the best load for it hasn't been as easy as the 6.5 CM's or 22 CM's I've put together, but it is a very good shooter with the 135gr Berger bullet's.
I used an ARC Archimedes action with a 24" X-Caliber 1-7.5 twist barrel. A Trigger Tech special trigger, all in a Woox Exactus chassis, and topped off with an Athlon Cronus scope in a set of ARC M10 rings.

Y8Xm2v6.jpg

Npry4Qw.jpg

Txhillbilly--beauty build you've got there! I'm a huge fan of ARC scope mounts--never needed to lap them and they stay put. I've looked often at their actions--it seems to me they are retiring their other action for the Coupe de Gras--the only thing that that I hesitate about ordering one is that the anything with .473 bolt face on down requires the conical breech barrels.

Txhillbilly--beauty build you've got there! I'm a huge fan of ARC scope mounts--never needed to lap them and they stay put. I've looked often at their actions--it seems to me they are retiring their other action for the Coupe de Gras--the only thing that that I hesitate about ordering one is that the anything with .473 bolt face on down requires the conical breech barrels.
I've got 3 ARC action's - Nucleus, Nucleus 2.0, and the Archimedes. Personally, I like the Nucleus 2.0 the best. I always wanted one of the Mausingfield action's, but just never saw enough difference / upgrade for the price.
Ted's scope rings are the best made, IMO. I have 6 pair of them!

Got a call this morning from a new LGS that my actions had arrived from Northland--so off I went. They must have immediately booked them in upon delivery and called me--I like that in an FFL--gave em a tip. In an odd twist of fate--I had an MDT chassis sitting around doing nothing for many years because I mistakenly ordered it sized for a model 10 action--which I've never had. So I decided to combine the 25 creedmoor project with a shiny new tungsten finish model 10 action. Also ordered Northland's own custom recoil lug and barrel nut.

attachment.php

After finishing assembly I discovered I had forgotten to test the accutrigger--unfortunately this action came with one that tested to a stiff 4.5 pounds and futzing with the return spring didn't gain me anything but maybe a reduction down to 4 lbs. Not good. Got on the phone and talked to James at Northland--turns out Savage actually uses several different springs depending on the action type (they love to keep things confusing) in the accutrigger. I didn't know that. So I ordered a couple of Rifle Basix SAV 1's. James is very good at processing and shipping an order very fast--but that still meant I couldn't get around to completing the build til next week. While browsing around looking for parts for something unrelated--up pops up a complete Rifle Basic SAV 2 trigger kit that I had completely forgotten about. Talk about luck. After install got it down around 10 ounce pull.

attachment.php

Besides the old chassis I also used an old ratty Luthar buttstock--I know lots of people like them--but I don't, especially. I simply didn't have anything else available at the moment.

attachment.php

Attachments

• action.jpg
    action.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 140
  • rifle basix.jpg
    rifle basix.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 25 creed rifle.jpg
    25 creed rifle.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 144
I've been interested in trying a chassis build with either my Ruger American Predator or Savage 10 6mm Creedmoor. I just don't know what I want in a Chassis. I did get an email from Arken optics about Outlier and a 50% off sale. I've never heard of this company, but at $400 for a chassis.

I'm pretty tempted to try them. I configured it as light as I could and it came in just over 3 lbs with bag rider. I'm just hesitant as I've never heard of Outlier before this email.

I have most of my non-hunting guns in MDT or KRG chassis. There's something intrinsically appealing about MDT solid aluminum chassis--they are so simple to use--crank their tough action bolts up to high torque and forget about all the touchy-feely bedding stuff.:D

I ended up taking the Lothar buttstock off--I really can't stand those things--and stole a magpul CTR from one of my ARs along with a Vortex Crossfire. I whipped up some moderate 135 berger/H4350 loads just to do a function test and a bit of a break-in. After a few preliminary shots to find the range at 176 yds these are the very first two 5 shot groups down the Shilen tube, I believe they were just engaging the lands at 2.84" COL. Gonna put one of my top-tier scopes on for the next outing--looks promising. The build works perfectly and shoots great, nicely balanced. I did no prep of the brass--really big thumbs up for alpha munitions brass--hard to tell the brass had even been used after firing except for the primer with firing pin impact. I rarely take much notice about brass--but this stuff is serious high-quality from what I've seen so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 25 creed 135 berger 39.2 H4350 176 yds.jpg
    25 creed 135 berger 39.2 H4350 176 yds.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 25 creed 135 berger 39.6 H4350 176 yds.jpg
    25 creed 135 berger 39.6 H4350 176 yds.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Nice build, Stagpanther!
I've never had much luck with Alpha or Peterson brass. It's too thick and I always get high pressure before I get close to the velocities I get with Lapua, Starline, or even Hornady brass.

Nice build, Stagpanther!
I've never had much luck with Alpha or Peterson brass. It's too thick and I always get high pressure before I get close to the velocities I get with Lapua, Starline, or even Hornady brass.
Thanks--I'm curious--what kind of loads are you using and what velocities are you going for? I also built a 25 PRC and could easily get 3200 fps with bigger bullets but a 257 cartridge can easily become a barrel-burner when driven fast and can be murder on throats I've found. That's a big reason why I decided to make a 25 creedmoor--I'm thinking I'll be happy if I get 2800 to 2900 fps out of it.

Thanks--I'm curious--what kind of loads are you using and what velocities are you going for? I also built a 25 PRC and could easily get 3200 fps with bigger bullets but a 257 cartridge can easily become a barrel-burner when driven fast and can be murder on throats I've found. That's a big reason why I decided to make a 25 creedmoor--I'm thinking I'll be happy if I get 2800 to 2900 fps out of it.
I tried them with my 6.5 CM's and 22 CM in the past, and couldn't come close to getting the same velocities that I get with proven loads with other brass.

Back