Yet another Ackley question....

Savage99 said:
Tony,

What happens if there is a "Forward flow of brass" ?

Where does the 'brass' come from?

S99

You've never seen the ring around brass that shows case head separation? When a case flows it moves from the base up or at least from somewhere on the body forward. On belted magnums it's usually in front of the belt. When you full length resize to move the shoulder back you actually force the brass up the die into the neck, that is why you have to trim. Anyway here is a link to show you pictures of brass separation.

The removal of body taper and the sharp shoulder actually cause the case flow from being fired to slow down significantly. Case taper and shallow shoulder angles was a leftover byproduct of old style gunpowder that was temperature sensitive. The shape of the case aided in extraction since the tapered body and shoulder reduced the amount of bearing surface on the cartridge if a case happened to be over pressure due to the temperature. Just take a look at the old H&H cartridges and a lot of the old rimmed cartridges and the amount of taper on the bodies and shoulder.

As gun powder became less temperature sensitive you started to see a decrease in taper of the body and shoulder allowing for more powder in shorter cases. By the time P.O. Ackley started doing his research powders were far less temperature sensitive than the old nitro cellulose powder used in the H&H and the first smokeless cartridges. He also claimed that his lack of body taper allowed his cartridges to be ran at higher pressures as well, again because of the bearing surface of the brass on the chamber.

Kenny Jarrett owner of Jarrett Rifles did the Introduction Article for Nosler Manual #4 on the 280 Ackley Improved published 1996. In the article he talks about his dealing with P.O. Ackley and 280 Improved and how it he decided build his first one 1979.

In his conversion with Ackley, Ackley had no idea who did the first 280AI and Ackley's version was 30-06x7mm which is in his Ackley's book along with 280 version.

I plan to have a single shot .30-30 reamed to AI for a couple reasons one is for longer brass life and the other is it's my only single shot .30-30 and it will make rounds loaded for it obviously different so they won't end up in my 94 Win after I'm long gone...

I also have plans to rebarrel a Savage 110 to .338-06 AI. The barrel is available and I can install it myself. Yes dies are more expensive but I plan to neck size only and a custom set of Lee collet dies isn't that bad. I want this caliber for elk hunting here in Oregon. My main reason for this round is I don't want to deal with reloading belted magnums and a .338 Win mag is a more than I need anyway.

I think Savage rifles and now Remington ones with the barrel nut are going to be real popular for cheap custom rifles.

Tony

I find the so called AI chambers worthless in terms of longer case life.

Brass fails for me when the neck wears out or splits.

I never have failures at the expansion web unless of course the FL die is set wrong or the chamber has excessive headspace.

AI chambers are a waste of time and money and hurt resale value.

Savage99 said:
I find the so called AI chambers worthless in terms of longer case life.

Brass fails for me when the neck wears out or splits.

I never have failures at the expansion web unless of course the FL die is set wrong or the chamber has excessive headspace.

AI chambers are a waste of time and money and hurt resale value.

You must be running pretty mild loads then? If you have to trim brass you'll eventually get a case head separation. The brass that your trimming has to come from somewhere and it can really only flow in one direction. Yes setting your FL die to only neck size and only bump the shoulder back will increase case life.

If your splitting necks then you're work hardening the brass from reloading and firing. Getting set up to anneal your brass every few firings will prevent you from splitting the necks in the future. I have a buddy that bought one of those fancy case annealing wheels, he can process several hundred pieces an hour and he'll do a run for me when I need it. There are services out there as well that'll do it for you as well if you have at least 100 pieces of brass.

You must be running pretty mild loads then? If you have to trim brass you'll eventually get a case head separation. The brass that your trimming has to come from somewhere and it can really only flow in one direction. Yes setting your FL die to only neck size and only bump the shoulder back will increase case life.

We have case stretch? We have flow? Or, Do we have stretch and flow?

I have chambers that have excessive length between the shoulder and the bolt face, one has an additional .011" beyond go-gage length, that is .002" longer than a field reject length chamber. I have an exemption, my firing pins are killer firing pins, they do not drive the case forward to the shoulder of the chamber. My primers are crushed before the shoulder of the case can get to the shoulder of the chamber.

Correction, I do not assume the shoulder of the case can get to the shoulder of the chamber.

F. Guffey

Back