pix021443678.jpg

pix663689233.jpg

Traditions Tennessee Flintlock Rifle .50 cal. 24"
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/576488625

pix188578088.jpg

pix707628843.jpg

Lyman Custom Great Plains .50 Cal Flintlock
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/576489098

Both look a bit "Gypsy" to me. How is quality on these brands? Are Lynman and Traditions rifles good or should they be avoided?

I have an old Lynman Turret reloading press that still works but that doesn't really apply to BP rifles.

I have several Spanish made BP rifles. These are the CVA, Traditions, etc. I like my CVA Flintlock and it has been very reliable and accurate. I don't own a Lyman, but never heard anything bad about them.

TK

Boogershooter - yep put em on my watch list and forgot about them.

Tidewaterkid - appreciate the info.

Hawg - appreciate your comments.
So 1 in 32" is a ball twist rate. What twist rates do look for shooting bullets?

I don't know anything about flintlocks or percussion cap rifles.

I know that it's past the point of getting either of those rifles, but here's a couple of points to help you get your eye in for a nice flintlock.

That top one, the Traditions, is way too short. Looks like a kid's gun with maybe a bit of a long trigger pull, or a normal gun with an unreasonably short barrel. I'm not saying it won't shoot well, but for a traditional muzzleloader kind of guy, it doesn't look right. Proportions are all wrong.
You may not care about all that now, but if you do this enough, you will in the future.

I've never had a Lyman Great Plains rifle, but they are generally well known to be good rifles.

You said you are new to muzzleloaders, good on you for wanting a flintlock!
If you have the means, I would advise you to get a decent one. Flintlocks can be difficult for newbie's, and if you buy a cheap one, it will be even harder. You gotta have a good lock, or you will likely just get frustrated.
Pedersoli makes some good flintlocks, with good locks. They are more spendy than others, but worth it.

I don't own, or have never shot a traditions flintlock, but through hearsay I would say that their locks are not all that good. I'm sure someone will pipe in with both positive/negative on them.

Also, you asked about shooting bullets ( I assume you mean conical bullets rather than round ball). Personally, a conical bullet in a flintlock is like surround sound with bass woofers pounding out R&B in a Model-T car. Just not quite right. Also, if you get a .50 or .54 you can hunt just about anything in North America with a round ball.
For round ball, slower twist is your friend. 1 in 66 or 1 in 48 or something along those lines. You don't need fast twist to stabilize a sphere.

Do a bit of research first, and I think you will be glad of it. There are folks here who are smart about it, and there are plenty of other muzzleloading forums as well, tailored to the traditional side.

Cheers,
Chowmi

Last edited:
1in 32" wouldn't be considered a round ball twist. Round balls work much better with a 1 in 48" or slower. Generally 1 in 60" or so would be considered a better twist rate for the round balls.

I've been eyeballing them Traditions Tennessee Rifles lately. While probably very handy for hunting purposes that short barrel wouldn't help in the velocity dept. As for the Lyman Great Plains rifle it's a FINE rifle at its price point, a good lock, and deadly accurate. I do t have experience with a Lyman flintlock (YET) as mine is a percussion with a 1 in 60" twist rate that will shoot circles around my TC Hawken (1 in 48" twist) with a round ball. I've had a few Spanish made (traditions, CVA) front stuffers (Percussion) they are good affordable rifles. My take on the whole rifling issue is this, buy the rifle with a twist rate for whatever projectile you intend to shoot. I like shooting roundball because the balls are easy for me to produce, patch material is everywhere. In a pinch I can steal SWMBO'S pillow [emoji3].

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Addressing the Tennessee

That top one, the Traditions, is way too short. Looks like a kid's gun with maybe a bit of a long trigger pull, or a normal gun with an unreasonably short barrel.
It is an embellished Tennessee and although it has a short barrel, not a kids rifle. I have the percussion version and mine came with a chromed bore. It's well made but have to agree that the Lyman is of higher quality. It is still a current model and similar to the Pedersoli Scout. If the bore is good, It's a good buy and I see that it has been sold and not a bad price. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Very nice !!!

drobs
When I stated that this one was embellished it might have been a bit of an under statement. That brass-work is a lot of money and really not overdone. Here is a link to the one I have and current. ...... :)
This twist for this length of barrel is good for round ball. That is what I shoot exclusively with good performance. Don't give up on the PRB and have fun finding out for yourself. ..... ;)

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Tennessee-Rifle

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Pahoo what us the twist rate on the TN Rifle? I don't see a specs page on Traditions website. I wonder how much velocity the TN gives up to say the Kentucky with the 33" barrel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1:66

Pahoo what us the twist rate on the TN Rifle?
It's 1:66 as well as all of their Classic SideLocks except for the "Deer-Hunter" model... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Hawg said:
Ummm no. The Great Plains rifles have a 1:60 twist rate.

noelf2 said:
drobs don't mistake the 32" barrel length to be a 1:32 twist. Check the gb link again, says 1:60 twist

Ah, ok I was going off of what is seen in this picture for the Lynman Great Plains rifle:

pix429583021.jpg

Missed that 1:60 twist rate in the description.

If 1:60 is good for round ball, what twist rate should I look for conicals?

Not having a rifle that fires either - I can't say that I've decided on 1 or the other yet.

Quick question - any issues shooting a right handed flintlock - left hand?
There's another one similar to these on there that, I'm contemplating bidding on...

Absolutely

any issues shooting a right handed flintlock - left hand?
The only time I question a shooting techniques or choices is when there is a safety issue. For me, this is one of those times. You are putting the flash right under your eye and into your face. Wearing a face shield or goggles, is not the solution.... ;)

Be Safe !!!

If 1:60 is good for round ball, what twist rate should I look for conicals?

1:32. A lot of rifles have a 1:48 which is a pretty good compromise for round balls and conicals but isn't best for either.

Back