Yard/ home defense gun

Since no one EVER goes up my driveway without me knowing that they are coming, I reckon I just don't need to carry a gun when I'm out on my land. If someone showed up who doesn't belong (doubt it would ever happen) I can access my 30-30 or any other gun I happen to have with me in plenty of time.

Well, ok, that might be fine as long as Bubba announces his approach by motoring down a noisy road and then further announces himself by coming up your noisier driveway. Then you can head for your 30-30, which I'm assuming will still be in the cabin.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that if Bubba and his friends wanted to approach your cabin unannounced (like on foot from a direction of his choosing), he might have access to your 30-30 before you do, and you'll still be outside on your property----maybe armed with a pistol or maybe not.

Now, of course that's just my sinister mind at work trying to think like a criminal and consider the worst case scenario---or how would I take you down if I was Bubba. Don't know if I'm wiser as I get older or just more paranoid, but, if I had ten acres and was isolated, I'd likely be armed while outside. Having someone get between me and my cabin would be one of my paranoias.

There's a new show I've been watching about game wardens in Northern Calif. It's called Wild Justice, and I know some of you have seen it.

Isolated rural areas, and even semi-rural areas, have no shortage of meth heads, pot growers (MS13 from the cities), and professional market poachers, hardcore poachers, etc, etc. Wardens seem to be as busy arresting criminals, as they are protecting game species. I had no idea how many they caught just by checking their hunting licenses, or citing those without licenses. That's not how I remember rural California, but that's how it is now.

I imagine California isn't the only place where all that goes on.

Guess I'd be as concerned about getting to my defensive weapon as I am about what kind it might be.:cool:

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

Last edited:
Pharmacology

Mello2u
A slug barrel is open bore and allows the buckshot to spread quickly. It has been determined that with such a barrel only 3 or 4 (usually 3) of the 9 buckshot pellets hit a 42" "Pepper Popper" at 25 yards. That is sufficient to knock a Pepper Popper down which is calibrated to fall when hit with a .45ACP 230gr round to the center of the target. Using slugs is a possible choice.
I was under the impression that using shot in a slug barrel produces a "doughnut" shaped pattern, which is highly undesirable.

Isn't a tightly clustered pattern preferred, especially at extended distances?

I doubt you could create a "doughnut" shaped pattern in a smooth bore. I believe it would take centripetal force to be introduced to the shot which requires spin.

I would prefer a tight clustered pattern for my buckshot. I merely related the facts. I did not offer that it was optimal.

You are on your property. Carry what you want...

Unless you live in Illinois and you have to give your guns to the bad guys because of state law.

I like my .38 snubby for in the house or yard, but I have only 3/4 acre lot & neighbors on both sides. For a larger yard, I'd use a shotgun for the yard. I have a 12g pump, 30 inch barrel. I need to get a shorter barrel pump. When I have the $, I want to look at the Mossberg kit with 18 1/2 inch & 28 inch barrels, standard stock & pistol grip. That covers a lot of situations. I also have 20g & .410 single barrels, but I wouldn't use them for HD unless I had nothing else.

I like the handgun at the moment because most people who drive up, day or night, turn out to be OK. Legit visitors or looking for a neighbor they can identify, etc. We've had a beggar or 2, in daytime. Even they didn't seem threatening. I can have my snubby in my pocket, hand on & ready to pull instantly, yet not cause someone a heart attack that's not a BG. We're fortunate that, even on the edge of a less than tranquil city, our neighborhood has seen little crime. A little teen vandalism at vacant houses has been most we've seen. That's bad enough, but in the scheme of things, could be much worse. If things get bad here, I'll meet people with pump gun in hand. A pump gun is menacing to behold if one has bad intentions.

Last edited:
So here's my situation. I am looking for a gun that is good for home defense, and yard defense. I live in the country, and have around an 8 acre yard, and my closest neighbor is around 2/3 of a mile away. If I see someone/something in my yard, I want a good gun I know i can grab that'd be good for around 25 yards or so.

Without getting creative, I think a shotgun or AR would both be good choices.

Mid sized rifle for long shots, good handgun that you are comfortable for carry, the taurus judge would be versatile. If your only want one gun buy a good pump shotgun in whatever gauge you can handle. 12 gauge would be th ideal choice. Get a good flashlight for things that go bump in the night, and train train train for defense. Be familiar with whatever you choose and good luck.

I don't know where you folks got that he was wanting to carry this or any gun all over his place. Carrying to go to the mail box? Come on now. I send the kids to check it all the time and they aren't armed. Figure I can make too. As for shotgun vs. handgun for HD it's been covered before. SHort shotguns aren't an issue.

For HD and defence of property from critters you're 20 is pretty good. I'd get a smoothbore slug barrel and sight it some slugs for them coyotes that hang up out there at 75 yards and use 00 buckshot for anything inside 30 yards.

Other option.....357 lever gun.

BTW, You'd be an idiot to go outside to investigate a bump in the night if ya think it walks on 2 legs. Most states have castle laws but most don't cover your entire property. Even if you are covered by law there is nothing outside worth shooting someone over or getting shot. Just call the cops and bunker down.

LK

Lots of good answers so far, and I thought I'd chime in with mine:

My preference is a 20-ga loaded with birdshot for the first 1-2 rounds, the rest #4 buckshot. The birdshot stands less chance of over-penetrating inside the house, but the #4 buckshot strikes me as about right for stopping power if the first few shots don't do the trick. Also, my wife handles a 20-ga more easily than 12-ga, so it's a more logical choice if she were to use it when I'm not around.

The shotgun stays at the house, but my .38 goes with me everywhere. A bigger handgun would have better stopping power, but would get left at home.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using .223 for home/yard defense with neighbors less than a mile away. Plus, .223 doesn't have so much stopping power that out-classes a shotgun over ranges under 100 yards, IMHO.

Mello2U said:
I doubt you could create a "doughnut" shaped pattern in a smooth bore. I believe it would take centripetal force to be introduced to the shot which requires spin.

I would prefer a tight clustered pattern for my buckshot. I merely related the facts. I did not offer that it was optimal.

That's why I specified "slug" barrel in my post. A slug barrel is a shotgun barrel which has rifling which imparts spin, I think.

Last edited:
If you don't want a shotgun, and want something a bit more "classic" you might check out a Marlin 1895 45-70. Fast, light, powerful. 6+1 capacity with the full-length tube.

I think they're a real pretty gun, the natural wood and blued barrels are a bit nicer but I don't know if they come with full-length tubes, they might be limited to 4+1, and not sure if they come ready for a scope. This one has the rail which is convenient if you only have the cash for one optical sight/scope.

zoom_1895sbl.jpg

If 300gr running at 1955fps (2544ft/lb) at 50yd isn't enough, not sure what is. That'll put a serious hertin' on any critter from fox to grizzly to NFL defensive lineman. There's a slower 405gr option. About $1.35/round from DoubleTap.

45-70%20300%20JHP.JPG

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/ca...ucts_id=212&osCsid=ksmq49uail89no8u8kh85pkg76

Last edited:
12 GA Shotgun all the way loaded with maximum 00 Buck you can load with a Quality minimum 38 Spl Revolver or minimum .40 Pistol.

The More shots the better cause your gonna miss more than you hit under pressure.

Just my two cents worth.......

1 gun v. 2 guns

If you love your 20g buy a short barrel(18-20 inch) with rifle sights or a cantilever mount and be Happy.

If you can afford it, a .357 or similar(.41-.44) combo of lever gun and revolver would do nicely. A 4 inch 6 shot revolver and a 20 inch lever with a 0 magnification red-dot would do it nicely. It also provides commonality in ammo and .38 special as target/plink ammo.

others may have said similar but I am short on time today, Hope this helps!

Mike

You may also want to consider a pistol caliber carbine such as the Beretta CX4 Storm. You may also look into the Ruger Mini-14 or an AR 15. This seems to be a situation where there are many good possible solutions. My Uncle used to operated a horse stable and there were some loose dogs chasing them in the fields. After calling the local sheriff's office and Game Warden for help he and the owners of the dogs were told that my Uncle had every legal right to shoot the dogs the next time they chased his horses. He chose a single shot 410 shotgun. He never had any problems after that that I'm aware of.

Back