Yard/ home defense gun

bjones870

Ok, I'm not new to firearms at all. But when this question came about, I was lost. So here's my situation. I am looking for a gun that is good for home defense, and yard defense. I live in the country, and have around an 8 acre yard, and my closest neighbor is around 2/3 of a mile away. If I see someone/something in my yard, I want a good gun I know i can grab that'd be good for around 25 yards or so. Im also looking for a gun to keep by my bed in case something goes bump in the night. Am I looking at buying two different guns, or is there a gun for my "situation"?

+1 on the 12 ga. I think that a remington 870 or mossberg 500 would do nicely in this situation.

Plus there is a lot of versatility in a 12 ga. With the right shells you would be suited for pretty much any situation that could arise, unless you need to be able to conceal the weapon.

Well, I've got a 20 gauge 870 express mag. I love that gun with every fiber of my being. So I guess I'll just buy an 870 12 gauge. I don't have to conceal it. So buckshot? Would that over penetrate in the home? If I was to shoot 000?

if you want only one firearm then I agree with the shotgun and you should be able to get a good one(mossberg 500, remington 870, etc) for 200something dollars(unless prices went up). If you're gonna keep the shotgun locked up and not next to your bed, next to your nightstand, or in your vacinity, I would buy a revolver too. a rifle and a reolver would work too: home defense gun and something that could shoot across the yard at a wild animal. I like that idea better for what you specifically inquired about but you can't go wrong with a shotgun- you're just not going to get the distance if a long shot happens on your 8 acres

20 is fine for the shotgun; I would suggest a handgun that you can comfortably wear OWB in and around the homestead. Carrying a shotgun everywhere you go on 8 acres would grow tiresome, I would think. I have a shotgun also, but I carry a .45 ACP or 10mm handgun always.

I've got an 870, a 4in 357, a 1911 and a Mini 14. I live rural on a couple acres. I have herd bumps in the night and I always grab the 870 if a firearm might be called for. I'll let loose the land sharks to check out the yard. Strangers at the door or in the drive and a sidearm is small of back covered up just in case.

Gotta +1 Stevie Ray, carrying around a shotgun to go down to the mail box or riding a lawnmower will get old real quick. That said, nothing wrong with a 20 ga.

I have a similar situation, 10 acres, out in the boonies. I also have a couple of handguns and a really good 12 gauge that is my backup "go to" gun.

My first choice is my AR, . . . 30 rd mag, . . . FMJ ammo.

I chose it because of the round count, . . . the precision with which I can make that round count "count", . . . the quickness of followup shots, . . . the inexpensive availability of HD and SD ammo for practice, . . . and if I do have to "confront" a bg with it, . . . I have no doubt that he/she will understand the seriousness of the situation as I appear with the AR.

In your situation, . . . even an AK might be something to consider. The AR, an AK, an M1 or M1A, an FAL or another semi-auto battle rifle is comforting to have.

May God bless,
Dwight

daisy.jpg

'Nuff said? ;)

Aarond

What are the chances??

Hey,

What are the chances you're going to have to use it? Is it for stray/feral dogs and some coyotes, or is this area known for running drugs? Country can mean a lot of things. Personally, my H&R single shot would be my bet for toting around, simply because it's light weight and the 12 gauge is a great round for versatility. 25 yards is within range, for sure. If that's not enough, a Hi Point 9mm would be good, as would one of the revolver-caliber leverguns. Something in .357 from marlin would fill the bill nicely. You could load it with some glasers or the like for home defense.

No reason not to get an 870 12 guage (I would get a Police Grade) but your 20 will work fine as everyone has said with buckshot. I would add a .357 revolver - very useful out in the country. I live on 20 acres with nearest neighbor about a half a mile away similar to your situation. 4" Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 both good nightstand guns and still light enough to carry around. Right now I'm using a 12 guage with # 4 buck shot, 00 buck shot and slugs and I carry around a little .380 ACP with flat nose bullets that weighs 20 ounces when I'm outside working. Nice to have something on the belt as I don't always want to carry around the 12 guage.

Well, I have an XDM .45, so the pistol is taken care of. Our family has a dog, and a cat showed up one day and won't leave. So we have two pets, and coyotes are certainly a problem. There is no drug traffic or anything like that. But wild animals, bobcats, coyotes, foxes, are a burden. So my 20 Gauge with buckshot or bird should do fine for home and yard? I obviously want to kill the animal, if need be. I wouldn't want to wound it, and let it suffer for days on end. Would an AR (in .223) be a good choice, or something to consider?

bjones870
Yard/ home defense gun

Ok, I'm not new to firearms at all. But when this question came about, I was lost. So here's my situation. I am looking for a gun that is good for home defense, and yard defense. I live in the country, and have around an 8 acre yard, and my closest neighbor is around 2/3 of a mile away. If I see someone/something in my yard, I want a good gun I know i can grab that'd be good for around 25 yards or so. Im also looking for a gun to keep by my bed in case something goes bump in the night. Am I looking at buying two different guns, or is there a gun for my "situation"?

There are those of us that believe the 12 gauge shotgun is the end all for home defense. I am not one of those people. While a 12 ga is great for outdoor at closer distances, it is definitely not for all indoor situations. INDOORS Shotguns are unwieldy, especially with narrow hallways and corners. The spread pattern is not as wide as some might think. Also, there's the issue of getting off a clean shot should a BG be holding onto one of your loved ones as a shield. With that said, if you're planning on holding yourself and family up in a safe room, then a shotgun is a very good option.

The bottom line is that you need 2 guns. Some type of handgun in a decent caliber with good capacity for indoor and a 12 or 20 ga shotgun with decent capacity for outdoors.

Back