WW2 Garand question

:D And after a few thousand rounds with no ear plugs you wouldn't be able hear a ping if it jumped and bit you:D, along with tank motors, artillery, grenades, mortars, My Uncle said that you had to yell at the guy in the same foxhole just to get his attention. No ping intended Added: GI's being GI's, they never waited until the last minute to recharge their weapon, if they were down two or three rounds they would eject what rounds they had and insert a new enbloc. If they were short of ammo they would pick up the loose rounds and load a enbloc later, While resting, they never had a low or empty rifle. They always kept it fully topped off. I would guess the opposite side did the same

Last edited:
Hi, RJay,

According to some very reliable sources, they didn't eject the clip with unfired rounds. They shot off the remaining rounds in the direction of the enemy so they could reload with a full clip. The ammunition wastage got so severe that orders were issued against the practice. And you can guess how much good that did.

I never heard the plastic clip story, and doubt it. No one in any authority or who had been in combat ever believed the "ping" nonsense.

Jim

Well, it would be easier to pull the trigger several times ( and keep the other guys on their toes) rather than to work the action and then pick up the shells. Being a ex GI my self I was always taught to do it the hard only if you are unable to do it the easy way.:)

You don't have to "work the action" to eject a partical clip. You just push the clip release the the unspent rounds and clip jump into your hands so you don't have to bend over and pick them up.

Well, you would have to open the bolt and hold it back. I always found it a darned nuisance to eject a partial clip, and can easily see why the combat soldier would just fire off the remaining rounds at the enemy (after all, a bullet might hit somebody and everybody out there is the enemy) rather than try to fiddle with ejecting the clip.

Jim

Hey guy, it has been 58 years since I went to basic with an M-1 and I haven't fired one since. The rest of my Army career was with the M! and M2 carbine, the M-14, the M-60 and AR. ( plus the 30 and 50 Browning MG, the 3.5 rocket launcher and a few more. ) So, my memory ( along with other parts ) is on the down side:D.

Back