Wrong .308 load for deer?

If your reloading, try switching to 150gr. Game Kings... lol

Me, I prefer Nosler Ballistic Tips myself...

Have yet needed to track a deer using 30-06 with 165gr. BT.

Have always been DRT!

Nosler Ballistic Tips or Accubonds are the cat's pajamas.

Also, I've always had good success with plain old Core-Lokt and Winchester Power Points. The .308 is a deer killer.

In theory a match bullet will have a FMJ with sharp point for max ballistic coefficient . Problems - Sharp points are hard to make and they are fragile as the point bends or breaks easily. They found that a small HP was easier to make and less fragile . MATCH is for Matches , GAME is for Hunting !! :rolleyes:

match bullets

You hear about guys doing it, but as noted Sierra and most of the bullet makers advise that their match bullets are not for use on game.

Interestingly, Winchester indicates on their boxes of 308/168 match, that their match load can be a deer load. Rated CXP 2 or some such. I don't believe it.

There's so many other good choices, why chance it?

So far, I've been very much impressed by handloaded Hornady GMX bullets in 30-06, .270 Win, and .243 Win. One-shot kills, good pass-throughs and great internal damage.

Regarding lots of blood, I've seen high lung hits that didn't produce a great trail, especially at 200 yards or more, regardless of cartridge. Often deer blow small drops out after 15-20 yards, but the deer often dies within 30 yards. Lower lung hits that don't destroy the heart cause much more bleeding, since the heart pumps it to blown-out lungs and exits through the lower holes. The deer may run a bit farther, or not, depending on whether the lungs work reasonably well.

Heart-shot deer tend to run 80-100 yards, regardless of bullet used, and may or may not bleed a lot, but usually enough to track easily.

My favorite side shot is over the front leg, but not as high as the shoulder. It's the biggest lung area and close enough to the heart to often cause a ruptured aorta. They never seem to go more than 25 yards and bleed out quickly.

I have found the Hornady A-Max to be very effective. It is a frangible bullet that fragments easily. Always DRT, or just a step or two after the hit. They do however require close inspection for lead fragments.

A-max's are match bullets and aren't made for hunting anything but varmints too. They are NOT a frangible bullet.
"...the point bends or breaks easily..." The point of a bullet is irrelevant. Only the base matters.
The .308 loves 165 grain bullets. Partial to IMR4064 myself. Doesn't really make any difference which brand. However, like Picher says, you cannot rely on a blood trail.
"...30-06 for tomorrow..." Same thing ballistically. 165's for it too. And if you're using factory ammo, you need to try a box of as may brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. You cannot just buy a box and expect your rifle to shot it well. And you have to sight in again when you change ammo.

Back