Wow, Ruger blew up!

"we know what happened with the bad batch of Redhawk barrels. The wrong lube was put on barrels on Friday, dried out by Monday, barrels got over-torqued."

Jim March: I never knew about this. When were these produced?

Rugers cannot blow up! Its impossible!

But but but...my Ruger is so heavy its stronger than any other revolver! It can't blow up! I buy Rugers because I think reloading past safe spec is a good idea to evaluate how good a revolver really is. Kind of like separating the men from the boys by running down hill backwards with scissors in hand!

Reminds me of this ad ;)

ad_686vsgp100_zps91f79448.jpg

Jim March said:
we know what happened with the bad batch of Redhawk barrels. The wrong lube was put on barrels on Friday, dried out by Monday, barrels got over-torqued.
It wasn't just Redhawks. Some Security-Sixes had the same problem.

Was there a recall over this?

It wasn't just Redhawks. Some Security-Sixes had the same problem.

My last security six did this exact same thing. Broke off at the threads inside the frame. I really wanted Ruger to replace the barrel. They told me they don't keep those parts around anymore and gave me the choice of a replacement - either a GP100 or a SP101. I chose a 4" SP101 since my purpose for this particular revolver was for a "walking in the woods" gun and I didn't want the weight of a GP100.

Winchester_73 said:
As someone who owns both Rugers and S&Ws, I think this ad was a bit of a disaster. First, ads about guns should be geared towards selling guns. I think this ad sold more steaks and malts than S&W 686s! And two, forged steel has not been shown to be substantially superior to investment cast steel. What's more, the weight of both guns is essentially the same, with the edge going to the Ruger (due to the grip strut replacing the actual gun grip).

I don't know what these people are putting in their reloads to blow the top strap off a Ruger Blackhawk, but they have to be committing some serious reloading errors. Blackhawk top straps are not fragile .
They need to go back and check that load data !
This thread just goes to show a determined person can blow up anything.
Gary

QUOTE: "...As someone who owns both Rugers and S&Ws, I think this ad was a bit of a disaster..."

I always thought that it was a rather clever and persuasive ad-and I own about as many Ruger pistols as I do Smiths.

I think many of those pictures of destroyed Blackhawks are probably 45 Colts with an accidental double charge of something like 231. That big 45 case given a quick glance, could look properly charged but have explosive results.

Back