Wow, Ruger blew up!

laytonj1

Since kaboom threads are popular I thought I'd add a few to the mix to keep things equal. Anybody got any Colt Kabooms?

Jim
bustedredhawk1.jpg

GP100Kaboom.jpg

blownsp101.jpg

blownBH.jpg

Something interesting here: you notice how these things aren't spitting metal back at the shooter?

From top to bottom: we know what happened with the bad batch of Redhawk barrels. The wrong lube was put on barrels on Friday, dried out by Monday, barrels got over-torqued.

The second is damned impressive. A bad round blew but NO pieces scattered. Very cool from a safety perspective.

In the third, we see a fairly typical Ruger blowup. The topstrap bends buts holds, cylinder cuts loose. Metal goes sideways, not straight back.

In the fourth it was worse but wow, it STILL won't throw metal backwards. Nice.

These pics are I presume in response to a blown-up S&W pic recently. Which lost it's entire topstrap which went God only knows where, possibly straight back. Not as cool.

You can blow anything up. Worst case, a Ruger is less likely to hurt you in doing so. These pictures aren't a condemnation of Ruger but rather a vindication of their metallurgy.

I trust my life to a Ruger daily, and nothing in these pics causes me to regret it.

Not to deter the thread from blowing things up, but, has anyone ever seen these types of failures from factory loaded ammo?
The owner of the GP100 claims it was a Winchester factory round. Likely defective if it was.
These pics are I presume in response to a blown-up S&W pic recently.
Yes, but the purpose of this thread is to point out that any gun if loaded too hot or with bad ammo can blow-up. Though I have never heard of a Freedom Arms model 83 letting go.

Jim

Except for the guy next to him...

If it's a proper firing line, everybody is supposed to be behind everybody else's muzzle. Worst that can happen is hand damage. Better that than eye/face damage.

Besides, the S&W blowups are also spitting cylinder fragments to the sides.

Redhawk

Well the Redhawk is not a kaboom , it`s a barrel failure .

Ruger changed lube on the barrel threads & lubed a batch & left em over the week end & monday installed em .

there was a big thread on Ruger Forum .com about it .

Factory ammo

Factory ammo isn't immune from defects. Learned a valuable lesson before I retired from LE. Years ago, the Dept. got in several cases of new .38 Special ammo with the S&W brand. Don't know which company loaded it for them, doubt that Smith did. One of the rounds I was issued had a slight bulge where the case mouth joined the projectile. In a speed loader, it would have been impossible to load any of the rounds with the defective cartridge. I saved it to show the S&W rep, and the FBI PFI. The FBI PFI relieved me of the cartridge, and sent it to Quantico.

I saw a Super Blackhawk years ago that was blown up. The shooter had tried Elmer's standard load of a 250 gr SWC and 22 gr of 2400.
Except he grabbed the wrong can and loaded 22 gr of Bullseye!

The top strap was gone, the frame bent and the tops of 3 chambers were blown. He wanted the gun sent back to Ruger for repairs!

I have to wonder of all the pics of blown up gunbs I've seen, are some of them actually guns destructive tested on purpose and relabled as an accident.

Guy who said a Freedom Arms has not blown up, I bet some might have been bent or loosened by the loads in those other kabooms. Maybe the reason is that people that drop that much on a SA revolver are more knowledgable and careful about loads? Might be that no one has tried hard enough to blow one up yet. There are limits to what any gun can handle at some point and someone out there is just dying to find out what those limits are, apparently. No such thing as an indestructable gun. No magic metals.

What does Ruger do when someone experiences a barrel failure? If you were to buy a used Redhawk, not overload it and the barrel snapped, will they replace the gun? They acknowledge that this was a problem on a limited number of firearms, are they still out in the wild and subject to this failure?

Other than the know barrel faiure I fell safe saying some people should not reload. Pictures are the proof:eek:

Back